1 (edited by Joe C 03-08-2006 09:45:29)

Topic: WHO RECORDED YOUR RECORDS?

Hey, ive decieded to get this sorted before the site is re-upped.

people in bands please fill in this questionaire about how/where/with who you recorded...

if you cant fill it in, leave it blank, but make sure you include enough info for it make sense!!!

Your Name:
Band's Name:
Record(s) Name:
Recording Studio Name:
Location?:
What rate did you pay?:
Studio Engineer:
Mix Engineer:
How would you describe the sound they gave you?:
What would have liked more/less of?:
Was the studio a comfortable environment?:
Would you/Have you used the studio since?:
Other comments:

thanks a lot! all the entries will be compiled, ordered and wacked on the website when its back up

Re: WHO RECORDED YOUR RECORDS?

Your Name: Joe C
Band's Name: What Price, Wonderland?
Record(s) Name: Claim 7" EP
Recording Studio Name: Stuck on a Name
Location?: Nottingham City Center
What rate did you pay?: 50 pounds for one day (special offer)
Studio Engineer: Boulty
Mix Engineer: Phil
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Very very good, old skool and aggressive, exactly what the doctor ordered, very raw and puncy without too much compression or other effects.
What would have liked more/less of?: More time, but we only payed 50 quids!
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: It was great, its just Boultys house, so inbetween takes you can sit and watched KERRANG!
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: We plan to use it for our next recordings
Other comments: Boultys dreadlocks made everything better

maybe also give people the opportunity to link to sample mp3s of music recorded at these places so we can hear the results?

Electric Wizard, Hunting Lodge, Circus Act and Humans The Size Of Microphones have used this place - http://www.chuckalumbarecording.co.uk/ - run by the HTSOM drummer in fact

that is a good idea, you can yousendit songs and post the link in the thread or something

Your Name: Sheldon Gabriel

Band's Name: Only Until...

Record(s) Name: Demo

Recording Studio Name: Ground Zero

Location?:  Brighton

What rate did you pay?: £80 i think + £80 for reel to reel tape

Studio Engineer: Steven Ansell

Mix Engineer: Steven Ansell

How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Good really nice atmospheric sound

What would have liked more/less of?: maybe clearer drums but mostly it was ace

Was the studio a comfortable environment?: yeah it has an awesome DIY atmosphere which i really love one of the most memorable times of my life

Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yeah i would like to use it again it was great fun

Other comments: Steve is great and a nice guy recording quality is great and i love that analogue sound he has well worth giving a go

Kunal wrote:

maybe also give people the opportunity to link to sample mp3s of music recorded at these places so we can hear the results?

Electric Wizard, Hunting Lodge, Circus Act and Humans The Size Of Microphones have used this place - http://www.chuckalumbarecording.co.uk/ - run by the HTSOM drummer in fact

I'm using this chap for a couple of tracks for the new album in October and have used John Hannon at no recording studio for a couple of other tracks... and will use John again for the rest of the LP. He is www.myspace.com/norecordingstudio (I think).

more people should record themself, save up and buy some microphones.

Another Vote for Steve Ansell in Brighton 16 track analogue goodness at Culture productions! (ground zero is the building), There's an old track from the first session with him on www.myspace.com/econoline (the hum), also John Hannon at No, he uses Logic there, I'd like to do a proper session with him, the hey C' Woe session was a bit odd what with 9 people making a massive racket. I'd also like to give prop's to Tim Cedar, at Dropout 8 tracks of raging analogue tapery. awesome.  I've also recorded in  Zed one in Camden, 24 track analogue there but expensive, we ended up dumping the analogue bass and drums into pro tools and the digital takes were screwed with by another mix engineer not from the studio for about 2 years and the end result sounds alright (www.myspace.com/econoline tracks from "this band isn't funny anymore"), also went into 93 feet east with Paul Epworth, (who did bloc party ETC), I didn't like the vibe in there very dark small rooms etc.. I think that was in Logic and expensive.. The record ended up sounding good though (jet johnson "micropolitan")  but as someone else put it, I went and bought some mic's and have recorded a bunch of our latest stuff myself and intend to get better at that (www.myspace.com/econoline "country claimed me" recorded on garageband and mixed in Logic).

How do mr sock... yeah i just bought a digital... (I know selling out buying digital... when needs must) 8 track. I intend to do the second half of my album on this... its a more refined instrumnetal effort the second half with electronic beats and stuff. The other part needs strings and drums etc... and John (both of them) has an amazing ear for making stuff sounding big. Especially with strings, pianos and the like... but I see the argument for both recording yourself and going to a stduio still.

if you have the info please inputting into the questionare so i can store it  smile

sock wrote:

i agree

in about a years time i will have enough decent microphones to be comfortable recording bands, although this is straight to pc as I have no HDR and my audio interface will be a 8 in 8 out PCI slot

12 (edited by ianscanlon 03-08-2006 10:58:12)

okay since sheldon did Steve's one (although shouldn't there be a contact as well? For Steve it's

[email protected].co.uk

anyway
Your Name: Ian Scanlon
Band's Name: Hey Colossus
Record(s) Name: Split with Part Chimp/ Todd/ Lords, also track for radio 1 tribute to white album
Recording Studio Name:  Dropout
Location?:  Oval London
What rate did you pay?: I think £60 a night plus tape cost did one song a night
Studio Engineer: Tim Cedar [email protected] I think to get hold of him or message him via
www.myspace.com/partchimp

Mix Engineer: Tim Cedar
How would you describe the sound they gave you?:  Great, live sounding raging stuff
What would have liked more/less of?:  more time would've been handy and i think now there's a control room it must be alot easier for Tim to get levels (before he was in the room with all of us making an awful racket
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: yes great, massive live room with space to partition people off for a bit more separation, have a control room now and the sound is good.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?:  i firmly intend to
Other comments: a great place, Tim has a good handle on garagey rock sounds through to serious SLUDGE..

Your Name: Chris
Band's Name: Lords
Record(s) Name: "This ain't a hate thing" LP and Split 10" with Part Chimp and others
Recording Studio Name: Dubrek
Location?: Derby
What rate did you pay?: standard rate of about £14 an hour though we got some cheap mixing
Studio Engineer: Jay Dean / OLlie Toogood
Mix Engineer: Jay Dean / Ollie Toogood
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Just right
What would have liked more/less of?: faster working time at times as the live room can inly be used at certain points in the day
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: it was ace
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yes
Other comments: Recommended!

Joe C wrote:
sock wrote:

i agree

in about a years time i will have enough decent microphones to be comfortable recording bands, although this is straight to pc as I have no HDR and my audio interface will be a 8 in 8 out PCI slot

the point i was making is that if you record your self you should get it to sound how you want it too, unless your gong for an really well produced sounding record (ie top quailty tape machine/desk/mics). but i think diy bands should record themselves, you can get really good results.

i have a harddisk recorder, i think pc is a better option. look into getting a cheap 2 track for mastering tho.

also the octavea mk-219 is quite a nice mic, going cheap at the mo...goto a shop and try one out.

How cheap is "cheap" when it comes to microphones these days? I know nothing on this subject (i.e. recording) but have always wanted to learn more.

Your Name: Tristan
Band's Name: Grand Prix '86
Record(s) Name: Everybody's Dancing 7"
Recording Studio Name: The Sickroom
Location?: Norfolk
What rate did you pay?: Mates
Studio Engineer: Owen Turner
Mix Engineer: Owen Turner
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Good clean radio pop sound
What would have liked more/less of?:
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Hell yep
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: About a billion times
Other comments: It's even got a swimming pool.

I've got guaranteed warmth by gas.

17 (edited by sock 07-11-2010 13:51:14)

There are some good books kunal, once you've learned the basics, its just common sense and looking at problems creatively.

The Octava is about £100. Behringer do rip offs of better microphones for about 150, and also on ebay/sound on sound ads you can get ok mics for around £100.

Like the recordings will never stack up to a good studio but you should be able to get some nice individual results.

Your Name: Gaz
Band's Name: Dead Sea Fuckin' Scrolls
Record(s) Name: Demo, Valhalla Pacifists 7", Hangover Heartattack 7"
Recording Studio Name: Retardo Studios (Pete Miles), Lloyd Storm, Boulty
Location?: Anywhere, Newbury, Nottingham
What rate did you pay?: £10, £20, £40
Studio Engineer: Pete Miles, Lloyd Storm, Boulty
Mix Engineer:
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Loud
What would have liked more/less of?: More booze, Less comedowns
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Nice, Cramped, Hot
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yes to all
Other comments:

19 (edited by Joe C 03-08-2006 11:32:19)

i rekon you could get a decent quality set of starter mics for about 300-400 quid...

red5audio do a great bundle for drum mics, although i suggest if you go with them you upgrade and get the large diaphragm overheads, as the response from their electrets leaves much to be diseired anything below the "breath" frequency bands..

then i suggest you get 1 or 2 (edit: i wrote one or 5?!) sm57s, they are a classic "throw about and they still do the job" mic with a response perfect for the average rock guitar.

then you need a vocal microphone, you can get half decent budjet condenser mics for about 80 quid these days.. i suggest you dont use the 57s of vocals ever, it sounds very odd

aso worth purchasing a DI box for taking direct signals (this also means if you dont have a great mic for your bass guitar you can split the signal and have a raw DI signal to EQ the freuqnecies the "wrong" mic left behind!)

sock wrote:
Joe C wrote:
sock wrote:

i agree

the point i was making is that if you record your self you should get it to sound how you want it too, unless your gong for an really well produced sounding record (ie top quailty tape machine/desk/mics). but i think diy bands should record themselves, you can get really good results.

i have a harddisk recorder, i think pc is a better option. look into getting a cheap 2 track for mastering tho.

also the octavea mk-219 is quite a nice mic, going cheap at the mo...goto a shop and try one out.

i have some new gear incoming right now actually, i have a 8/4 desk for my mixdowns back to pc incoming, but i plan to get some kind of tape machine in future, and run my mixes through the desk , splitting the 4 busses into 2 stereo busses, one to tape and one to HDR, but thats gonna be next year I think

Your name: Mark
Band's name: Trencher
Record(s) name: Lips...
Recording studio name: No Recording Studio
Location?: Rayleigh, Essex
What rate did you pay?: £300 for two full days including tape cost, mixing, mastering to hard drive etc
Studio engineer: John Hannon
Mix engineer: John Hannon
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Brutal yet hi-fi.
What would you have liked more/less of?: More heat, we recorded in November.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Apart from the Nov. chill, yes - it's situated on a farm and there's horses and a farm shop with mean banana cake.
Would you/have you used the studio since?: Yes
Other comments: John's a very good guy to work with - worth every penny.

No return! No remorse! No second try!

more studios need to be near a source of banana cake

Yo damn right!

No return! No remorse! No second try!

You can get some basic akg drum mics for about £100 a set these days... they're not great but ok for starting out.

Trick with studios is to build up knowledge and gear from the basics to get the feel for it. Start i guess by doing demos of you stuff and you know having been in studios doing your own stuff you'll already have a head start and an ear for the levels you think your reciordings will sit at.
Recording is very trial and error.

I'd say buy some drum mics and a couple of reasonable dynamic mics and build from there. As with anything i guess start small and build up.

i got a set of drum mics recetly, mainly for demo-ing, im basically gonna updgrade each "section" as I go along, I got em mainly so I actually had some mics to practice with at home (my house is going to be a semi studio next year!)

they are infact exactly the same as the red5audio ones but under the name "stagg" (cheap cable make as i knew em before!) the kick drum mic is so bollocks it hurts, but Im probably gonna use it as a bass reinforcer, it was 100 quids and came with 4 dynamic clip ons (always handy!) 2 electret (as mentioned before WAY tinny) condensers, which ecentually im gonna replace with large diaphragms.... either way a mic is a mic, there will be times i will need a mic badly (for live situations mainly!) and these will probably save my life!