Re: WHO RECORDED YOUR RECORDS?

So did you all play live or do the separate tracks individually (if that makes sense)?
I know the Scrolls bash everything out in 20 mins for example

Yeah cheap kick drum mics make the bass drum sound proper shit... One trick on a kick drum is to use a speaker as a mic... trust me this works. Also play around with mic placings... the guy who recorded the ATM album miced the drum kit in a massive room using the mics two feet or more away from the kit... made the drums sound huge!

missingmong wrote:

Yeah cheap kick drum mics make the bass drum sound proper shit... One trick on a kick drum is to use a speaker as a mic... trust me this works. Also play around with mic placings... the guy who recorded the ATM album miced the drum kit in a massive room using the mics two feet or more away from the kit... made the drums sound huge!

ja ive done lots of work on mic placements (i have a Merit at National Diploma in sound recording)

a nice sound we found for kick drum, which was punchy in the most vibrant frequencies yet had a smooth reinforcement all the way down to about 50hz was using an sm57 right on the kick itself and a TGX50 (cant remember who makes these right now)about a metre outside

Kunal wrote:

So did you all play live or do the separate tracks individually (if that makes sense)?

we always record all the instruments live, we literally cant play together if you dont and it would sound pretty dead too, we like recording our songs not long after we have written them so that we can improvised and variate in the studio, i find when a record is badly recorded in seperate parts it sounds really really obvious and weak

Kunal wrote:

first recording, it was all live, including vocals.

now we just record everything live and over dub the vocals!

don't think we could track each instrument, because like joe said, we also can't play without one another, much easier playing together.

If we're doing the what we got Joe I got a music degree (of which a large part was studio work)... but no fair play mate. Yeah as Sock says doing it yourself and learning some more by trying different stuff.Yeah I like that idea on the kick though you mean pedal side yeah? Do you not find you get pedal squeeks and clicks I guess with a ncie bit of eq you can get rid of most of that.
Another trick I like is unscrewing the back of the cab and micing the speakers up with two mics both front and back... good excample of that is drive like jehu records.
But yeah reason John hannon and John stephens are people I trust to do my stuff I feel everytime I record with them I learn something.
Alot of good recording is to do with getting the most out of the gear and room you have available.
But good on you Joe... I wish I didn't live in london some times so I could afford A more gear and B my own space to record in.

MShit wrote:

Your name: Mark
Band's name: Trencher
Record(s) name: Lips...
Recording studio name: No Recording Studio
Location?: Rayleigh, Essex
What rate did you pay?: £300 for two full days including tape cost, mixing, mastering to hard drive etc
Studio engineer: John Hannon
Mix engineer: John Hannon
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Brutal yet hi-fi.
What would you have liked more/less of?: More heat, we recorded in November.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Apart from the Nov. chill, yes - it's situated on a farm and there's horses and a farm shop with mean banana cake.
Would you/have you used the studio since?: Yes
Other comments: John's a very good guy to work with - worth every penny.

I'd agree with all that mark... heat is an issue in there totally... me on me todd was fucking cold.

But did you try the banana cake?

No return! No remorse! No second try!

Nah I'm allerggic to Bananas so was probably for the best... atm we cought lots of fancy cheese I rememeber.

35 (edited by sock 07-11-2010 13:34:41)

i bought the red 5 audio drum mic set, and sent it back, was fucking terrible, and bought two large diaphragm capacitor mics (i prefer the sound of a good stereo field than the close mic'd results i got with the red 5). the akg is ok if you have as joe said a secondary mic to pick up the weight, but mic placement is trial and error.

missingmong wrote:

One trick on a kick drum is to use a speaker as a mic...

The guy did this on the Tractor demo, results sounded good to me

a speaker will work well, because the diaphram is large meaing it can pick up low freqs compared to the smaller diaphram of a microphone.

speakers and microphones are the same thing after all

yerr

how did you find the clip ons with the red5 kit? i havnt used em yet

I think like I said before I see that kit as more of a stand in set of mics while i save up to buy multi purpose microphones which i can chop and change depending on the sound i need, not the instrument, im quite fond of se2000/3000/3300 range on guitar cabs, but Ive also had good results as a back up vocal mic.

Back to studying again, im going back to the same place to do my degree for 3 years in december, its a place called Confetti Studios.. its fuckin sweet! Boulty and Phil mentioned in this thread went their too.. its a very creative minded place, i can access a studio better than i could ever afford within minutes on a good day!

Your Name: Howl Williams
Band's Name: The Keep
Record(s) Name: "Fack You and your gawd" demo
Recording Studio Name: It wasn't really a studio...the Arches practice room
Location?: Under the train tracks in central Cardiff.
What rate did you pay?: Just paid for the 8 track tape. About...40 I think?
Studio Engineer: Jim "The Take" Williams.
Mix Engineer: Jim Williams and myself.
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Very fat for quarter inch tape.
What would have liked more/less of?: More blowjobs when doing the vocals.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Cold but comfy.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: We're going to.
Other comments: www.bunchofingrates.com for an example.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Name: Howl Williams
Band's Name: Night And The City Of Broken Promises.
Record(s) Name: Split 7" with The Take.
Recording Studio Name: The Arches again.
Location?: Under the train tracks in central Cardiff.
What rate did you pay?: Just for the tape again.
Studio Engineer: Jim Williams.
Mix Engineer: Jim Williams.
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Dunno...a screamo?
What would have liked more/less of?: More cowbell.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: I think it was cold that time too.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yeah for The Keep demo.
Other comments: I'm pretty sure the song off it isn't online...so buy it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Name: Hooooooooooooooooooooowl
Band's Name: NATC
Record(s) Name: S/T 10"
Recording Studio Name: Frontline.
Location?:  Caerphilly, South Wales.
What rate did you pay?: Not much...about 200 for 2 days.
Studio Engineer: Ross....something or other.
Mix Engineer: Ross.
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Pretty weak.
What would have liked more/less of?: Less talk, more rock.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Yeah, very. Outside was perfectly shaped for baseball.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: No/No.
Other comments: www.nightandthecityofbrokenpromises.tk I think there's still a song on there.

"There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore,
There is society where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar;
I love not Man the less, but Nature more."

40 (edited by sock 07-11-2010 13:36:38)

the clips where ok i think, (used once and sent back), i still have there mic leads which are still working well and their stands are ok for the price but have plastic knobs which don't grip that well.

ahhh atleast I wasnt alone thinking those NATC recordings sounded weak, the guitar sounds totally .. reserved, if that makes sense

The Keep demo sounds excellent. HEAVY!

Kunal wrote:

agreed, are you doing a review Koonarl?

Confetti is pretty sweet from what I hear.
The SE electronics microphones are awesome for the price and they have probably the best factories with in the industry.
We had the founder the company come in and show us pictures of all the facilities and also pictures of places where Shure, AKG and M-Audio have there stuff made.
Some of the conditions were disgusting.

It’s nice to know that SE are not only making brilliant mics but actual care about there employees.

I used the Red5 drum set to record our album. Its ok, the kick microphone isn’t up to scratch but the rest is pretty good.

I’ve been trying to get some opinions on the AKG D11 and D22 percussion microphones. There pretty cheap but in general, AKG stuff is pretty good and the D22s come with mounting clips.

When ever given the chance I use a D112 just inside the kick with a Solid Tube about a metre away. I like to use a couple of sets of over heads, a spaced stereo pair and then two 414 (figure 8 pattern) set in a X-Y set up. Depends on the room though

Is there a standard textbook they make you Music BTEC geezers read as part of your course to cover the basics? I'm unafraid of maths

Joe C wrote:
Kunal wrote:

agreed, are you doing a review Koonarl?

Yeah did one ages ago, it's in the Keep thread somewhere

Kunal wrote:

Is there a standard textbook they make you Music BTEC geezers read as part of your course to cover the basics? I'm unafraid of maths

no but I have a great book my brother (he has a first in Music Production..oohh!) bought me a book when I was first getting into live recording call "Sound Recording Techniques" by that guy who does all the little books explaining the basics of all kinds of shit.. forgotton his name now!

NATC is a good example of engineering... the 10" recorded in a studio and joe's right guitars sound thin... the 7" split Jim did it in your practise space... sounds fucking great! Jim has skillz. Also a throughly nice chap.

Choi wrote:

Confetti is pretty sweet from what I hear.
The SE electronics microphones are awesome for the price and they have probably the best factories with in the industry.
We had the founder the company come in and show us pictures of all the facilities and also pictures of places where Shure, AKG and M-Audio have there stuff made.
Some of the conditions were disgusting.

It’s nice to know that SE are not only making brilliant mics but actual care about there employees.

I used the Red5 drum set to record our album. Its ok, the kick microphone isn’t up to scratch but the rest is pretty good.

I’ve been trying to get some opinions on the AKG D11 and D22 percussion microphones. There pretty cheap but in general, AKG stuff is pretty good and the D22s come with mounting clips.

When ever given the chance I use a D112 just inside the kick with a Solid Tube about a metre away. I like to use a couple of sets of over heads, a spaced stereo pair and then two 414 (figure 8 pattern) set in a X-Y set up. Depends on the room though

414s are excellent overheards! I used them on my final major project, I hardly needed the mic up the rest of the kit, their response is great, sweet in their repsonse to cymbals and snare, yet with a flat response going down to mad depths for a condenser, although they aint cheap!

Im not a fan of D112s, ive used em quite a few times this year at college, I find they are pretty much designed to be right up against the beater or no where else, and scope for movement is so important for kick drum mics because of the relative resonance of different sizes and materials

i will upload a few exmaples of Boulty and Phils work

50 fucking quid these recordings costed, you wait and see! super sweet!