Re: WHO RECORDED YOUR RECORDS?

Its all about placement really and what sound you’re after.
When I recorded Jason Mraz’s drummer I went for a nice full natural sounding kick.
These days most people go for a clicky sound which is easy to do. A SM57 against the beater for the click and a D112 to get the body can make a good mix if you have spare channels.
414s are the probably my favourite mic, so versatile and sound great on anything. Also nice if you’ve got a couple of drawmer 1960 preamps kicking around smile

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a … BF6B0DC1F9

there ya go some recordings by Stuck on a name studios..

ps keep the reviews and questionaires coming!

Cheers for the props Joe C, you come visit us again soon y'hear?

For the curious, the demo of mine & boulty's old band is online here. We recorded the drums at Confetti during Boultys first year there. It's pretty much a good illustration of how even with good quality mics and gear you can still make something that sounds utterly shit! The drummer plays for Hellset Orchestra now.

For anyone buying mic's, I would suggest getting a couple of good quality condensors for drum overheads, a good bass drum mic and a good general purpose dynamic. This will give you enough flexibility to record drums,, bass guitars and vocals and get decent enough results. Remember that Bonham was recorded with only two mics!

Brand wise I'd suggest:
Condensors: Studio Projects B1's. Flat out best value large diaphragm condensors money can buy. <£65
Bass drum: Audix D6. Has a kind of built-in eq curve that gives you that punchy sound without much effort. <£130
Gen. purpose dynamic: Audix i5 or Shure SM57. Opinions differ on these, I personally prefer the i5 in every situation I've heard it. Your mileage may vary.

And of course, some good speakers are a must. No good having nice mics if you can't tell whether the mix is any good.

GIANT IRON FACE SCREEN PRINTING
Top quality, low cost t-shirt/hoodie/vest/sweat/poster/flyer printing.

phil knows the score!

our Name: Julz
Band's Name: Dreams are free, motherfucker!/Lee Malvo
Record(s) Name:DAFM/Day Man Lost split, some compilations and unreleased lee malvo stuff
Recording Studio Name: Stuck on a Name (Bay Area Spies)
Location?: Nottingham.
What rate did you pay?: i've paid £17 to boulty. I dunno about the others though.
Studio Engineer:Boutly and Phil
Mix Engineer:Boulty and Phil
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: thrash
What would have liked more/less of?: group vocals (boulty and phil)
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: it was hoooooot. other than that, it's amazing.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: yeaaaaah
Other comments: lovely lads.

57 (edited by benny_boy 04-08-2006 11:22:09)

Your Name: Ben
Band's Name: Business Of Death
Record(s) Name: s/t (out late august/early september)
Recording Studio Name: Shelter Studios
Location?: Southampton
What rate did you pay?: £150 for an 8 hour day including mixing afterwards.
Studio Engineer: Neil
Mix Engineer: Neil (mastered by Jon who I got the contact for off someone on here)
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Good, crisp and clear considering we did 7 songs in 8 hours. The mastering then beefed it up nicely and made it a bit 'fatter'...awaiting the test presses (fingers crossed)
What would have liked more/less of?: More time/less me making mistakes
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Yes, apart from the room with the desk in having a stupidly low door to get into!
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: yeah.
Other comments: Neil is a nice chap and listens to what you have to say about mixing/sounds.

mp3's at http://www.diypromoters.co.uk/businessofdeath/

www.myspace/saltunion

...you, you trainee trooper, with your ten a side trendy tosh. I bet you think now don't you.

Your Name: Reece
Band's Name: Mel Gimpsuit
Record(s) Name: Send More Takeaways!
Recording Studio Name: Stuck On A Name
Location?: Nottingham
What rate did you pay?: £200, 4 days.
Studio Engineer: Boulty/Phil
Mix Engineer: Boulty/Phil
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Exactly what we wanted.
What would have liked more/less of?: Boulty to put some socks on.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: It was sound.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Definitely gonna use em again.
Other comments: Note.

http://www.stuckonaname.co.uk/downloads/Mel%20Gimpsuit%20-%20Andy%20Fordham's%20Got%20Arms%20Like%20Ham%20Shanks.mp3

Power Violence is shit.

Your Name: Dan
Band's Name: i had an inkling
Record(s) Name: Pantone Deference 7"
Recording Studio Name: Hall Place
Location?: Leeds
What rate did you pay?: not sure £15-£20 per hour all in-ish
Studio Engineer: Richard Formby
Mix Engineer: Richard Formby
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: dense prog
What would have liked more/less of?: more tough soundingness
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Yes
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yes
Other comments: 24 track all analogue set-up - nice. If you want to do something clever and/or layered then Richard will do an excellent job. He's pretty imaginative about sound. He also has a good range of instruments hanging around (organ, analog synths, piano, xylophone, faz, bouzouki, etc). Wouldn't bother if you want to do brutal hardcore.

www.crushingdeath.com - gigs in Cambridge

~~ 2nd Jul - 75 Dollar Bill ~~
~~ 26th July - Woven Skull ~~

Your Name: Aston
Band's Name: Benny
Record(s) Name: Finnish road Junction, Our True Intent Is All For Your Delight
Recording Studio Name: Soundstation
Location?: Horbury, near Wakefield
What rate did you pay?: Finnish - 300 quid for 3 days; Intent - 400 quid for 4 days
Studio Engineer: Mark Sturgess
Mix Engineer: Mark Sturgess
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Great clear quality with plenty of oomph
What would have liked more/less of?: Mark's very much how the recording sounds, so won't really suggest things to add to the song - for example, we discovered double tracked vocals when we recorded somewhere else after - the only thing that the other studio engineer brought to the table that mark didn't..
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Yep an old disused Rope Mill in the middle of nowhere
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: We used it twice and the only thing thats a drawback is its at least 100 miles from where any of the band members live
Other comments: Soundstation is a cracking place to record - most of the Wakey / Bombed OUt bands have recorded there - and Mark is a really nice bloke to work with! Really wish timewise we could have done the last record we did there, but we only had one weekend we could record on before Andy our guitarist emigrated and went to Rich BItch in Boirmingham on their 240 quid for a day demo deal and it was awful to be honest!

Although i've never record there myself i also whole-heartedly recommend teh WHitehouse in weston Super Mare too!!

Boss Tuneage : Fashionably Not Selling Records Since 1989
www.bosstuneage.com ; www.stores.ebay.co.uk/bosstuneage
www.myspace.com/bosstuneagerecords ;
"I BLAME THATCHER FOR EVERYTHING - STILL!"

240 quid for a day at Ritch Bitch? wooaaaahhh day light robbery

Joe C wrote:

240 quid for a day at Ritch Bitch? wooaaaahhh day light robbery

totally - but thats where we used to practice, we had 2 weeks before Andy emigrated, and had one last show we wanted to get the Cd ready for.. which we did - just!

It was also supposed to run 10am - 6pm, but the studio engineer thought it was 12-8pm, and it was the day the clocks changed so he only turned up at 1pm!!

We got a real tinny sound, awful really...
like i say the only thing he introduced to us (which I wish we had done on the previous records) was double tracking the vocals.. but everything else sounded worse than Soundstation...

and - the 240 quid was for cash - give them a cheque and they'd've added VAT on top!!

aha, double tracking vocals can either be great or sound like dogshit in my experience, if the singer is erratic by style and you have em panned central in the mixing you get all kinds of phase disasters, although Kurt Cobain on the second Nirvana lp is a good example of how to double track vocals seperately, you cant even tell until youve heard the vocal tracks seperatly

your Name: ollie
Band's Name: candy sniper/little lights
Record(s) Name: candy sniper 7", little lights album s/t
Recording Studio Name: attic recordings
Location?: ramsgate (but it's portable)
What rate did you pay?: 30 squids a song but it depends.
Studio Engineer: fillipe gomes
Mix Engineer: fillips gomes
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: candy sniper - raw live recording, dirty, trashy drums, nice. little lights - quite lo-fi indie in places, maybe a little beezewaxish, quite produced in others, some interesting production techniques.
What would have liked more/less of?: candy sniper - more time on mixing possibly. little lights - only just got it back so still happy with it!
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: yes, cosy attic space, very nice.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: yes.
Other comments: this is a friend of mine but i dont think im being biased, i think he's incrediable at what he does!

thanks guys, keep em coming!

Your Name: Mikey
Band's Name: Giant Robot and the City Of Tokyo
Record(s) Name: Best, Deluxe.
Recording Studio Name: The Sickroom
Location?: Narborough
What rate did you pay?: £100 a day.
Studio Engineer: Owen Van Turnerooy
Mix Engineer: Owen Van Turnerooy
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: We played him Bug by Dino and said make it sound like that.
What would have liked more/less of?: More Tins.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Inbetween song takes we'd watch an episode of Catterick, have BBQ food, play mini swingbat, jump in the pool. Pretty damn comfy.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yep. In November.
Other comments: Belm.

Differently Tarded

68 (edited by Ambrose 08-08-2006 12:10:15)

Your Name: Ambrose
Band's Name: Action and Action
Record(s) Name: Reflective Clothing / Nineteen Twenty-Two 7"
Recording Studio Name: Orange And Blue Music
Location?: Catford, S.London
What rate did you pay?: £100 per day x 2 days, 9am - 7pm.
Studio Engineer: Malcolm Gaynor / Simon Baines
Mix Engineer: Malcolm Gaynor / Simon Baines. Mastered by Tim Turan at Turan Audio in Oxford (£70ish)
How would you describe the sound they gave you: I've never recorded live with a band before, but was very pleased with the amount of separation they were able to achieve at the recording stage, before mixing. We overdubbed vocals and some guitar parts. Mixing was fine, mastering gave everything a much more unified sound and helped to separate the guitar frequencies. Malc wasn't afraid to make suggestions, like saying we should play a better take! We liked that. Good understanding of recording techniques (like the front and rear cab recording as mentioned elsewhere).
What would have liked more/less of?: Less of a wierd sound that our bassist's Rick started making, wasting a couple of hours trying to figure it out. There is also a tendency for the mixing room to suggest there's more bass in the monitor signal than there actually is. We sorted that out when mastering.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Yes. If you're allergic to cats, that's the only downside.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Couldn't be happier. We recorded another 3 songs there the following weekend. Highly recommended. We'll be back as soon as we've written some more stuff.
Other comments: They let us stay in their house/studio. Great people all round, actually.

Your Name: Dan
Band's Name: Hunting Lodge
Record(s) Name: Energy Czar
Recording Studio Name: www.chuckalumbarecording.co.uk
Location?: Dorse
What rate did you pay?: £200 per day
Studio Engineer: John Stephens
Mix Engineer: " "
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: fat + heavy
What would have liked more/less of?: less reverb
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: yep... right in the middle of the newforest... you can play with horses in breaktime
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: definitely... going back there to record our next 7"
Other comments: really really really good... everything is 70's analogue and John is a master of getting a band sounding HEAVY... also recorded there: electric wizard, comanechi, green hearse,,,

someone as dignified as me CANNOT be seen learning to rollerblade
-----------
www.myspace.com/dethscalator
www.myspace.com/huntinglodge

not sure how useful this'll be to any of you overseas, but if you come to the states to record...

Your Name: alan
Band's Name: life at these speeds
Record(s) Name: to your health
Recording Studio Name: prescott house
Location?: portland, or
What rate did you pay?: don't remember, just gave chris some money to buy cool studio gadgetry
Studio Engineer: Chris Flanagan
Mix Engineer: Kevin Viva Voce
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: full, more so than our other records
What would have liked more/less of?: i don't know, i'm pretty happy with how everything turned out...
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: yeah, it's chris' house!
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: most likely...
Other comments: this is the first record we did entirely at chris' and entirely through pro tools. i was skeptical of the process at first, but it ended up being the best outcome of any of the recording sessions i've done. we all recorded separately which was nice, because you didn't have the added pressure of having to nail things right off so whomever was next could lay down their track (the fact that it was chris engineering and we could take a load of time to do things since it was at his house also helped there).

Someone should move this to the DIY but of the forum!
Is there anyone out there who would be willing to record my band (tractor) for, er, free?

i don't respond well to orders i'm afraid

' i'll do it in a bit, yeah?'

I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

We did 2 tunes at Stuck on a Name, great place.

Nevermind whats been selling...ROIDH

My new band went elsewhere so here's the latest..

Your Name: Aston
Band's Name: JAckshit
Record(s) Name: Keal Hill 7", split 7" with Kiss catastrophe
Recording Studio Name: MA MUSIC STUDIOS
Location?: Potton, Bedfrordshire
What rate did you pay?: 600 quid for 20 hours over 2 days (£30 an hour)
Studio Engineer: Noel Rafferty
Mix Engineer: Noel Rafferty
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Really good "professional" sound
What would have liked more/less of?: Noel is an experienced engineer having worked at the big London studios on stuff like AC/DC (he engineered "ballbreaker", EMF (he engineered "schubert Dip" and the gold record is in the mixing room), THE FARM (he did "all Togther Now" and "spartacus") , DEBBIE HARRY, SKUNK ANANSIE etc etc and his experienced showed - only 45 minutes to set up and mic the drumkit is by far the fastest i've ever seen! So we were recording an hour into the session!
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Yeah its a lovely old building and dead plush and they've even done it up since we were there in January - nice big live room with pine wooden floors and a grand piano and nice plus black leather sofas in the mixing room
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: We'll be going back for sure!
Other comments: It may seem a dear hourly rate, but to be honest having an experienced engineer like Noel saves us loads of time so is worth paying the extra - we recorded six songs and had just the right time to do all the overdubs and mix (Noel will ask for at least an hour per song) - we had done most of teh lead vocals by the end of the first day and that was with triple tracking in places... its super convienient for me as it backs onto my house, but i'd recommend it to any band in the south east - London is an hour away, Birmingham an hour and a half - so its got a huge catchment area and its a nice envirnonment to record in.. just don't ask to stop at my house whilst you record there !!!

www.myspace.com/jackshituk if you wantto hear what we ended up with , studio website www.mamusicstudios.co.uk

Joe C wrote:

aha, double tracking vocals can either be great or sound like dogshit in my experience, if the singer is erratic by style and you have em panned central in the mixing you get all kinds of phase disasters, although Kurt Cobain on the second Nirvana lp is a good example of how to double track vocals seperately, you cant even tell until youve heard the vocal tracks seperatly

Yeah agree depends on the singer entirely - with the way my voice is double tracking really beefs up the vox and sounds loads better - although teh rest of teh band have to reign me in as on "Keal Hill" teh original demo version on teh 16 track portastudio i'd done 8 tracks of vocals, whicjh we reduced to 5 in the studio (3 main, one centre, two panned left and right and two accompanying vox line panned left and right) - otherwise it was getting a bit too "bohemian rhapsody"!!