Re: LOCAL SLANG

we say that down here aswell as stuff like 'gunnew' instead of 'i am going to'

damo

I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

Well now you're just talking about people being lazy when they enunciate. Like, no one says "and a half" anymore - everyone goes "UNNAAARRRRFFF!" i do anyway.

has anyone mentioned the STAPLE of manc slang yet?

'eey'ahh' - nearest literal translation would be 'here you are,' meaning 'please may i have your attention'. usually followed with either 'mate' or 'yo,' then any range of questions which can imply anything from a wish to know the correct time to 'please furnish me with the contents of your wallet'

hahaha i used to use 'eeeahh yo' alot. i thought it was ironic and funny but i'm guessing other people just thought i was a scal

you always stole all my last words

ken= doesn't mean anything but people from Edinburgh use it like others use "erm" or "uh"[/b]

My Dad uses ken. He says "Aye, I ken."

I thought it's just a different word for 'know'.

Like. "Yes, I know."

Yeah, it gets used in that context, but it gets used way to many times inserted into places it doesnae belong:

"Aye, ah wis gonnae fire roond ken,  tae fuckin Shooms ken, but ken fuckin loaf caught meon the hop ken."

in a bit or in a piece has kinda taken over for see you later

marra or blud means friend

one i never realised wasnt commonplace until recently was we call pub fruit machines bandits round this neck of the woods, (nuneaton)

Lincolnshire has some weird slang

army- Alright Mate (Ar-mee)
steg- someone who stinks, or does something disgusting
yellowbelly- someone native to lincolnshire

I'm sure I'll think of more.

there is the word 'stig' which is similar to steg which myriad wrote. yet its based on stig of the dump. it think its a southern thing as i've told my friend about it in leeds and he was like huh?

innit - such a great word. also i hate it when people in my town say, ah thats dead good. i just imagine them to have a northern accent - probably around yorkshire area...

i was discussing with my dad in the airport today the finer aspects of the english language, also known as geordie slang. and we were discussing how beauitful it is, and how ace the weegie slang is too (he's a jock).

notable references to fine lingo:

"i'm gan yem" - i'm going home
"the yem land" -the wasteland/motherland...

"muckle" - exemplifier; really, very, totally. posi
"muckle good/canny" - really good, really nice.

there's a whole ton more, but woe is me, i'm sleepy.

i actually made a three page list for my german flatmates when i lived in heidelberg. by the time i left i had a german coming up to me saying "way ner, lass, that's muckle shan that is". AMAZING!

scally=chavscum

fully=something is "fully" it.  used often in conjunction with "sick"-"fully sick"=really good.

mint=ace

'well'-used similarly to fully.  "it was well good". and proper aswell. "proper good".

katiek wrote:

i was discussing with my dad in the airport today the finer aspects of the english language, also known as geordie slang. and we were discussing how beauitful it is, and how ace the weegie slang is too (he's a jock).

notable references to fine lingo:

"i'm gan yem" - i'm going home
"the yem land" -the wasteland/motherland...

"muckle" - exemplifier; really, very, totally. posi
"muckle good/canny" - really good, really nice.

there's a whole ton more, but woe is me, i'm sleepy.

i actually made a three page list for my german flatmates when i lived in heidelberg. by the time i left i had a german coming up to me saying "way ner, lass, that's muckle shan that is". AMAZING!

I use none of these, they all sound teuchter.

All the crunked blood transfusions have helped me develop into the GREATEST POSTER EVER.

Yeah, none of those are weegie.

i was gonna say you wouldn't use 'em as you wern't brought up in the north east!

we can have a weegie / geordie send off if you bowl down for spies. though my whole family are a bunch of weegies.

113 (edited by jo 03-08-2007 18:38:37)

oh, anyone know what Mert means, my friend in manchester called me it and he hasn't told me yet.

he also calls me jim.   neutral

Bristol
zyder = cider
daps = trainers

where`s that to = where is that
gurt = good
lush = nice
lover = mate
Babber = mate
ee - as in look at ee
`ark = look -  as in ark at ee
mind = ark at ee mind
innum - isn`t it
bis - not quite sure....
binned = pissed - as in the local band The binners.

and it goes on

so - "alright me babber, check ee out ower there, she`s got gert lush tits innum" or "i was binned outta my skull"

wabbs - up north your underwear / down in bristol - tits. go figure.