Topic: THE boys life / farewell bend thread

i dare you to write an emo song as good as these guys

Re: THE boys life / farewell bend thread

no, I dare you... wink

"I believe that it is possible for a person to be able to do what they want, aim for what they want, without the fear of what those around them might say....whatever you might choose to do in your life, make sure you make that choice yourself"

good too see farewell bend getting the love on here recently, excellent band and great lyrics, and of course boys life is boys life...

I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

toeknee wrote:

no, I dare you... wink

urm i double dare you

departures and landfalls is easily one of the best 3 emo lps.

the farewell bend were supposed to tour here sad with terrin from boilermaker sad can you imagine the farewell bend with terrin? holy shit!

that farewell bend record is one of the most perfect things my ears have ever heard.

HEADS DOWN!

didn't the farewell bend play here with bluetip? have a poster from that tour...

i am fairly sure that they weren't allowed into england. that's what terrin told me in when i interviewed him anyway.

omg, ebay gold!

Andy Malcolm wrote:

the farewell bend were supposed to tour here sad with terrin from boilermaker sad can you imagine the farewell bend with terrin? holy shit!

yes, i saw them 9 years ago.

Andy Malcolm wrote:

i am fairly sure that they weren't allowed into england. that's what terrin told me in when i interviewed him anyway.

Not saying you're a flaming liar or anything, but I saw Farewell Bend and Bluetip in London at the Water Rats (Unhome and Grand Central may also have played). Not sure if that's the only time FB toured the UK though. They were cracking that night. I like the wayward vocals

Two songs that never fail to give me goosebumps;

All of the Negatives (when the rolling drums come in near the end...oh jeez)

Sleeping Off Summer ("lemme outtaaa hereeee!")

Departures and Landfalls is one of my favourite records ever.

hahhaha i agree on that sleeping off summer song.

this is one of my favorite bands ever, boys life that is. farewell bend is sollid though, its a much more catchier version of boys life. i teeter between the s/t and departures when deciding which is my favorite. both have qualities i love.

Kunal wrote:
Andy Malcolm wrote:

Not saying you're a flaming liar or anything, but I saw Farewell Bend and Bluetip in London at the Water Rats (Unhome and Grand Central may also have played). Not sure if that's the only time FB toured the UK though. They were cracking that night. I like the wayward vocals

haha! ok. maybe they toured twice then, or their entry was delayed. if someone can find that old interview i am sure it'd clarify it. it was in fracture! can't remember what issue though.

farewell bend have a song called "st. christoper" and the lyrics "st christopher's men" sound like he is singing "same crispy foreskin".

was actually just sorting through loads of old zines and came across various issues of fracture including the one with said interview. here is the relevant excerpt:

fracture: so you've been over to europe with the farewell bend, very briefly. how long were you over then?

terrin: we came over for about a month

fracture: that's quite a long time!

terrin: it wasnt long enough!

fracture: really? did you get to look around or just play?

terrin: it was pretty much like driving 8 hours from show to show. sit down and have dinner with people from the shows. when we first tried to come over we got stopped in dover, we didnt have our working papers. and then finally they let us in. they sent us back from dover the first day - saying 'no working papers, you're kicked out of the country'. we paid something like $250 to get the ferry across. and then they sent us back and we spent the night in calais, france. and they put us in the holding cell for 6 hours in dover!

fracture: like you're an asylum seeker or something!

terrin: we said to them 'we're not going to play any shows... but all of our places to stay are in the uk. so we can either go and sit in france for 6 days, or we can go and stay with the people we planned on staying with'. so we lied and played all the shows. and the only problem was, coming over to europe this time, in my passport, it's stamped that ive been denied

i am such a liar. thanks rich!

anyway.

the song 88 cubic meters by grander is similar to farewell bend. i think farewell bend's best song may be on the 7". there is another 7" (split?) on desoto by them that i never remember to look for.

i love that grander song

Andy Malcolm wrote:

i think farewell bend's best song may be on the 7". there is another 7" (split?) on desoto by them that i never remember to look for.

yeah i was wondering what else FB did other than In Passing, what labels the 7" on? discog anyone?

departures and landfalls is my favourite release, sounds perfect in summer in the humid evening air,
either fire engine red or sight unseen (off the cfd split) my fav tune

split with shiner on desoto

st 7" (you can download here)

so far today:

elliott - us songs lp
silver scooter - blue law lp
hey mercedes - ep 12"
farewell bend - in passing lp

to come

boys life - departures and landfalls lp
cursive / silver scooter 10"
braid - age of octeen lp
cap'n jazz / friction 7"
promise ring - nothing feels good lp

anything else i should listen to? i'm going to be here all day!

not that many of them have had a bat.

are there any other grander songs other than that ?

unfortunately not, they had a split 7" w/ eamon but it's the same song

put in passing on now, wanted to wait until the sun went down a bit as i find it more of a dusky album, by the time this finishes i think it might be time for false cathedrals and then cfd/bl 10"

lush

"I believe that it is possible for a person to be able to do what they want, aim for what they want, without the fear of what those around them might say....whatever you might choose to do in your life, make sure you make that choice yourself"

very much enjoying the september 10" at the moment

and even managed to squeeze in the bl/gc 7", not very summery i must admit but still great