Re: Celebrities you've seen in the flesh - where and when

Kunal wrote:

I met Emily Watson once but only film nerds seem to know who she is, so fuck it

Kunal, tell me about the time you met Emily Watson.

Thanks.

using gay to describe some novelty christmas cards is just so fucking ignorant

Saw one of The Fast Show in the Great Eastern in Brighton

Met all of League of Gentlemen at a book signing and they gave me a Wicker Man badge

was once sat in a coffee shop next to bill bailey whilst my friend received a call that her grandmother had died.... bit strange.

tom baker going absolutely apeshit at a shop assistant because she didnt understand what "hold the tomatoes" meant. 

tim burton, madonna and guy ritchie, paul mccartney, jude law, terry pratchett, danny boyle, scarlett johannson, ..bunch of others. all in or around my work.

Lt_Nick wrote:
Kunal wrote:

Kunal, tell me about the time you met Emily Watson.

Thanks.

since you asked, the film club at uni that i helped run organised a film fest and invited her down to talk as she used to go to my uni, so there was a Q & A with her. People asked her boring questions about acting etc, then i asked her what going to the Oscars was like, and all she could remember was feeling millions of eyes from across the globe on her whilst being asked utterly inane questions such as "who did your hair?"

i vaguely know who she is.

i met the fat one from bowling for soup once. my boyfriend at the time worked for their record label or something, and he had a backstage pass for reading, the fat one gave him one to give to me, i had to go back and thank him.

at the same time i met a couple of blink 182, a couple of placebo, and inme (oh yeah. don't get too jealous)

when i worked at out of this world in leeds, cain dingle from emmerdale came in, and the oldest of the rich brothers (the kings?) was a regular.

i've seen lee from hollyoaks (in emmerdale too?) out and about a few times.

erm. hooray?

Kunal wrote:

she's really good!  i suppose that makes me a film nerd.

when i went to hollywood i met j mascis, brody from the distillers and isaac brock from modest mouse at atp, and i met david cross from arrested development/eternal sunshine of the spotless mind at a les savy fav gig.  i also stood next to donna from that 70s show when i was queuing for cinema tickets.

i met steve lamacq in a diner in new york.

i've spoken to richard madeley, tony benn, vanessa feltz, john mccririck, clement freud, winston churchill's grandson winston churchill, eamonn holmes, lorraine kelly and david mellor on the phone at work.

i had a conversation with the singer from the strokes about how great iggy pop is.

david hasselhoff stoically ignored me on the way to his limo from a closed-door signing at asda headquarters.

steve albini once asked me to get out of his way.

Near collided with Gok Wan (from that channel 4 show) in the street in Brighton last weekend. V. Orange.
Sat (kind of) opposite Paddy Considine in wagamama in birmingham a few weeks ago. Fucking Awesome.
Sat at a table near Judy Dench in a restaurant earlier this year. Amazing.
Queued behind Robert Webb from peep show in a shop. He looked wrecked.
Met Timothy West at a theatre in birmingham. He was shit.
... I'm sure there are more...

Oh yeah... The star of nickelodeon slightly racist TV show 'genie in the house' is in my class... http://www.genieinthehouse.com/

chris braddock in Greggs in mansfield 2007.

My uncle and I met Joe Strummer in a pub in North Wales.

we was too nervous to say much.  although my uncle did say "err, i love your music."

oh, and i once saw pete postlethwaite (sp?) at the adelphi pub in leeds.

i had my photo taken with daphne and celeste when they played the leeds festival.

and the dude who played the ambulance driver (josh?) in casualty used to give me drama lessons sometimes when i was doing my theatre studies a-level because his son went to my school.

Emily Watson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/northwest/series11/week1/beatrix7_pic449.jpg

she is on the left

not Emma Watson. She's in Harry Potter

mikeplanes wrote:

i had my photo taken with daphne and celeste when they played the leeds festival.

do you still have a copy of this? you + daphne and celeste is something i would love to see

chris-thrash wrote:

Saw one of The Fast Show in the Great Eastern in Brighton

Met all of League of Gentlemen at a book signing and they gave me a Wicker Man badge

is this the one who plays ron's dad in harry potter? if so, he's meant to be an alcoholic - im yet to see him in brighton

the girl off shameless at euston station - shes the one who had one of the main charcters babies? (i dnt watch it much so i dont know names)

the presenter off 'mary queen of shops' outside my uni in brighton

i walked past 10 downing street once and john prescott was near by wlking rather fat. i wlaked past him and said hello - he rep[lied with a stern "hello' back.

mark lamarr once offered to fight me at a new fad gigs at the camden palace about 15 years ago.

ghost wrote:
mikeplanes wrote:

do you still have a copy of this? you + daphne and celeste is something i would love to see

i'm not sure...i'll definitely have a dig round for it.  it was back when i had long hair and i was wearing a weird shirt i bought in egypt that had purple camels on it.  they told me that i "smell like the ocean"...

These were some good ones...

Larry David - strolling slowly up Charing Cross Road last year wearing a cap which I presume was intended to disguise him

3/4 of Slayer in the CroBar when it was almost completely empty. Just me, my mate and 3/4 of Slayer (minus Dave).

I saw Bez and Bobby Gillespie in Camden Town the other day (although they weren't together)

I also met David Cross at ATP. We chatted to him at the bar. I can't remember what about. Then he refused to come and dance with us.

NaomiHatesHumans wrote:

I also met David Cross at ATP. We chatted to him at the bar. I can't remember what about. Then he refused to come and dance with us.

haha, was he a nice chap?

45 (edited by Lt_Nick 20-06-2008 16:58:13)

I once picked up (as in, helping to stand) Ken Russell after he'd slipped on a step. He was very sweaty.

I bumped, bottom-to-bottom, into Dawn French at the Royal Opera House. We both apologied.

I used to be friends with this fellow:

http://atangledweb.typepad.com/weblog/images/milkybarkid.jpg

I've had dinner with Craig David.

Has anyone ever been mistaken for a celeb? I had some pissed loon in NYC follow me for several blocks due to his belief that I was, in fact, Jason Alexander. At this point I didn't know the name. Save to say that if I had, I'd have probably chinned said wretch.

using gay to describe some novelty christmas cards is just so fucking ignorant

Lt_Nick wrote:

Has anyone ever been mistaken for a celeb? I had some pissed loon in NYC follow me for several blocks due to his belief that I was, in fact, Jason Alexander. At this point I didn't know the name. Save to say that if I had, I'd have probably chinned said wretch.

I had a woman staring at me on the NYC subway once because she thought I was David Bowie.

Someone thought I was LTJ Bukem

Kunal wrote:

Someone thought I was LTJ Bukem

what...aren't you?

my friend emil said at Bristol someone went up to him at a Burning Star Core gig saying 'good set'!

Emily Watson is hot. I haven't posted in months but I needed to get that off my chest.

I had loads of kids following me once as they thought I was the singer in Biffy Clyro (I had a beard and more hair at the time)