Topic: tv shows

suggestions of something that is hopefully at least 3/4 as good as the wire, to engross myself in please.

additional info: i don't want to be a lost fanboy as watching people discuss the philosophical nature of this show makes me sick to my stomach and i don't think i'll be able to take it if i ever become one of them (based 98% on the fact that lost has so many characters that are just given names of known philosophers. deep yo) as for other shows, i've seen s2 of prison break and it was appalling. i already like house, a lot. i've watched most of sopranos already but got bored eventually. shows like entourage which show various aspects of rich people lives aren't that interesting to me personally either but i can understand why many like it i suppose. dexter is pretty good, but i've only seen s1 of it.

i've been recommended weeds a few times, might check that out. what i liked about the wire is that i found nearly every character likeable and enjoyable, and i'd like a show that draws me in based on the character development rather the plot if that makes sense? plot driven shows such as lost seems to be (i might be wrong here, i've only seen s1 of it) and didn't really find that i got much out of it other than oo wot happens next?! i'm not meaning to come down on it harshly, i just mean i want something not like it!  i can totally see why lost is as addictive as it is

Re: tv shows

i like the shield.  its about 3/4 as good as the wire.

burn notice. it has bruce campbell in it. it is a cheesey action / spy series, i found it to be very fun. each episode is linked only loosely.

pitmanfan wrote:

i like the shield.  its about 3/4 as good as the wire.

i think the shields well good! but pretty much everyone i know thought it was utter shite. i didnt get it....

The Shield is great.

I also just started re-watching the x-files from season 1. I forgot how brilliant it is.

oh yeah i saw s1 of the shield, pretty good actually. slipped off my mind, gonna try and get through the other seasons actually

leddydee wrote:

The Shield is great.

I also just started re-watching the x-files from season 1. I forgot how brilliant it is.

too right! i thought maybe i was just delusional. cause i dont know anyone that likes it.

its nothing like police action tv shows or anything, but for me nothing can touch Curb Your Enthusiasm for comedy. Larry David is a genius.

the shield gets better each season aswell.

You need to watch Homicide. It is almost 3/4 as good as the Wire, likeable characters etc etc etc.

Other than that, Generation Kill has just started. I've only just watched the first half of the first episode but it looks good and it has fucking Ziggy Sobotka and Tobias Beecher (from Oz) in it.

Watch the first two seasons of Oz as well.

I've been enjoying Breaking Bad. Quite funny.

and the aforementioned Burn Notice.

West Wing for sure.

You can pick up the complete Prisoner for quite cheap these days. Classic.

SIX DEGREES

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0801427/

GOSSIP GIRL

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397442/

deadwood
Oz

i have yet to watch the wire as i massively don´t have the time to engorss myself to it at all. sounds clss though.

the only stuff i watch these days is shit like my name is earl late or sealab 2021 at night before bed. watch the bad cops episode half way through season two of my name is earl. and the episode after. both are fucking genius.

HOUSE

SIX FEET UNDER

I'm into The Boondocks at the moment. Just got the second series on dvd and I think it's better than the first. Uncle Ruckus also got more offensive somehow. not sure how they managed that one.

Just found on youtube the episode 'catcher freeman' which is pretty dope. but you just oughta buy both series on dvd instead, foreal.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bL3lIrx6CVQ pt 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ppwzZgF3lA pt 2

anything with Gok Wan

Seasons 1-7 of the x files are good. 8 and 9 however, were appalling. I watched them all in order last year. Good times.

six feet under backed for wierdness.

oz backed for grittiness. well good.

How many seasons of Oz were there? The last one I saw on terrestrial was when I was at college and the season ended with a bomb going off taking out the prison wing. I may have to invest in the box sets.

5 i believe, i'm currently on 3. THANKS FOR THE SPOILER.

24 (edited by Ewan_C 19-07-2008 15:08:51)

There is 6 seasons of Oz, with season 4 or 5 being double the length of the rest.

Battlestar is worth checking out.  Most of the HBO shows.  Nothing can really replace the wire though.

Freedom Is Terror - Scottish Drone/Ambient/Noise

www.longlivedeath.co.uk www.myspace.com/freedomisterror
www.boxerphotography.co.uk - photos of boxer dogs

Didn't Oz get REALLY stupid towards the end? I only watched the first 2 seasons. Adabesi.

Deadwood is well worth investing some time into.

Is Carnivale any good?