Re: England vs EUROPE. different ways of treating bands on tour

...joe calls so loud wrote:
Mike - Persil Booking wrote:

no free drinks

drink water? it's free AND it tastes better.

the europeans hate still water mate, trust me! i played some shows 'in europe' and people put us up and fed us and came to shows, but i got given sparkling water. MAJOR BUMMER! any EUROPEANS want to tell me whats up with that?

"murder and slavery are not subtleties and meat and dairy are not necessities"

27 (edited by axon 11-12-2008 22:43:39)

sparkling water is the worst thing ever. If i went on tour and got that, i wouldnt put up with that shit.

can this thread be a sticky please?

ok, 3 steps back. i'll try to say everything again  in a (hopefully) much clearer way

i'm not complaining about the way uk promoters treat bands, i'm just trying to figure out why most of them do things in a certain way. this's a uk board so that's why i'm here asking questions. i had a blast with git some and so all of them. some shows were great, some were ok and some other sucked, but that's how it goes everywhere. paying £2 for a coffee or £5 for a pack of smokes isn't too nice but you know..much nicer things are free highways, short distances between shows, shows 7 days a week, cheddar, cider, red beans, squash..

i'm a diy promoter myself and i know what putting on diy shows means, that's not what we're talking about. the point is, a lot of promoters across europe have to hire out venues (50-300 euros) + pay soundguys (min. 50 euros) + pay copyrights (50-100 euros) + buy food / drinks (20-50 euros), provide accomodations (sometimes those who can't house you pay you a hostel and nothing's cheaper than 15 euros x person so min 60 euros for a 4 piece band..) to do shows. if you sum all these things you can have an idea of how much the whole thing may cost.. AND without even mentioning promotional costs (flyers, posters, shippings and stuff). that's exactly what i do. hire a venue, pay a soundguy, cook dinner for all the bands or sometimes provide a buy out, buy drinks (1-2-3 crates of beer), take bands at my place, let them shower, use internet, make phone calls, use my printer if they need it..  feed them, get them breakfast in the morning. show them the town you live and so on..i, we couldn't do this..we're not obliged to do it. you do it for fun, for passion, for whatever reason you want..right? is that weird? is that science fiction? i don't think so..

we met awesome people who took really good care of us, fed us, gave us alcohol and superb hospitality (matt, liam, lil and greg in london, andy in manchester, slim & sam in leeds, daniel in plymouth, buz in brighton, the southsea diy collective in portsmouth, chris in chatham, craig in sheffield, trev and no choice dudes in wales, glyn in leicester, dean in lincoln, ross in ashford) as well as people (luckily a few) who seemed pretty cool and acted like assholes. and these things happen everytime and everywhere.england, germany, north korea or south africa. that doesn't make any difference. awesome people are awesome people everywhere and so assholes.
maybe a few free drinks, some decent food and warm place to sleep is too much..who fucking knows...
again..if you're often on the road you know what touring is about and know what to expect. i toured quite a lot in last 5 years and had either bad and good experiences.what i'm trying to say is that
it's curious to see how the idea of hospitality (and WHY) changes from country to country, that's all.
being nice and bloody thankful to those who put you on, feed you, give you a place to stay and all the rest is what punkrock to me is about.

one last time. i'm not saying you uk promoters treat bands like shit, i'm just saying that your way of treating bands is just different (YOU KNOW WHY)
..i was just trying to know the reasons  WHY (NOW I KNOW IT). is that so hard to understand???

i don't drink much and never ever asked any promoters hey dude where are the free drinks? where's the food? that food sucks, buy us something else and stuff like that.
i'm italian, i know what great food is (it's the only great thing in a real fucked up country, i know what i'm talking about!!) and know how nice is getting good food after spending your day in the van, but i'm used to eat any kind of stuff when i'm abroad and i like it. never complain...i'm always thankful cause i'm a promoter myself and know what it means. different country --> different traditions. you know it you get used to it and that's cool. it's called ADAPTABILITY. isn't punkrock also about this?

treating bands = PEOPLE  well, or at least the way you'd like yourself to be treated should be a priority. this's what i think.

look forward to hearing from all of you soon
mike

where diy play in europe? everyone drinks still water mate. maybe wrong place and bit unlucky? :-)

sorry..where did you play in europe? probably germany? they drink a lot of sparkling water and i'm with you, i can't drink it. it makes me sick after a couple sips

financially speaking..what's a fair deal for bands who have about £200 of daily costs + gas and two ferries (approx. 90£ each way) to cover to tour the uk?  isn't enough punk or diy getting bands enough money to make it from show to show?

YEAH WELL YOU MAKE ME SICK AFTER A COUPLE OF SIPS BUDDY.

you too bud!

financially speaking..what's a fair deal for bands who have about £200 of daily costs + gas and two ferries (approx. 90£ each way) to cover to tour the uk?  isn't enough punk or diy getting bands enough money to make it from show to show?

A fair deal is that they get paid according to how many people want to come out and see them play

"some indie kid who doesnt support the hardcore scene"

http://www.gringorecords.com

I fucking loved Germany, sparkling water is absolutely amazing!

Nous ne voulons pas d'un monde ou la certitude je suis un pomme de terre de ne pas mourir de faim s'echange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui
T-I-M

Sparkling water can step the fuck off.

AlexN wrote:

Sparkling water can step the fuck off.

Heathens, all of you.

Nous ne voulons pas d'un monde ou la certitude je suis un pomme de terre de ne pas mourir de faim s'echange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui
T-I-M

This thread actually made me feel angry, inside, for a bit. Fuck it.

hello everybody
after spending 2 weeks on the road in England i thought a lot about the way most promoters treat bands and compared to the rest of Europe
i said MOST not ALL, that's very important!

England
no free drinks, shitty food - dinner & breakfast (lucky if you get both!), accomodation = floorspace in tiny cold flats, fees are lower than in mainland, ferries cost a fortune and everything is almost double more expensive...

Mainland
shitloads of free drinks, great food either take away or cooked on demand, wonderful breakfasts, comfy accomodations ( beds, large couches, sometimes entire private houses, hostels, B&B)

PS this isn't a criticism by any means, just a starting point to talk about differences among countries of the same continent. what do you think?

Fuck you, you tremendous cunt.

I bet your mother wishes she had aborted you.

Yes, I am so mad reading this I came back and posted, bra-fukkking-vo you man with a sock up your nose.

Ferries a fortune? Not if you book in advance, £100 return or less is possible, what's that currently, about €110? Coffee £2 why that's €2.2, that's cheaper than a coffee on the autobahn in Germany. Cigs £5, that's €5.5.

It's the right time to be coming from mainland Europe to the UK.

Financially speaking, what's a fair deal for a guy who's putting on a show, which might have a poor turn out due to the dates the band have picked to tour, off their own back to lose? Figure out the balance between your question and that one, and the common answer is what happens with DIY or punk shows in the UK. Bear in mind the band should be making some money back on merch too, as well as anything from the door.

stevefukkincridesagain wrote:

hello everybody
after spending 2 weeks on the road in England i thought a lot about the way most promoters treat bands and compared to the rest of Europe

England
no free drinks, shitty food - dinner & breakfast (lucky if you get both!), accomodation = floorspace in tiny cold flats, fees are lower than in mainland, ferries cost a fortune and everything is almost double more expensive...

Mainland
shitloads of free drinks, great food either take away or cooked on demand, wonderful breakfasts, comfy accomodations ( beds, large couches, sometimes entire private houses, hostels, B&B)

PS this isn't a criticism by any means, just a starting point to talk about differences among countries of the same continent. what do you think?

Yes, I am so mad reading this I came back and posted, bra-fukkking-vo you man with a sock up your nose.

i miss you!

my only experience of bands staying in europe was when i saw end of a year play in utrecht this year. after the show, they were talking to a guy called stephen who was totally cool and had sorted them out a place to crash at the local squat. when patrick asked how he would rate the place, he said 7/10. when asked if they might see piss there, he said yes. when asked if they might see shit there, he said yes. also mentioned were "wankets", blankets that may or may not have been wanked in. they decided to drive a couple of hours to a friends' house instead, understandably.

please, don't come here and tell me my cold house is worse than that!

hello everybody

England

Mainland

<3

"My name is a killing word."

Andy Malcolm wrote:

hello everybody

England

Mainland

i miss you!

You sound like a desperate jilted lover there Malcs

'Balls to it'

that's exactly how it is.

2 points:

1) Perrier is not an acceptable punk rock drink.
2) Steve C!

Be polite
In the pyramid you hate

hello everybody

England

Mainland

He lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello everybody

England

Mainland

I lived in "mainland Europe" and in the UK - organized and played loads of gigs & tours in both over the last 15 years and my first thoughts after reading the above are: you are rather spoilt, show great ignorance for the country you toured in (why do you think there are no 'free drinks' - have you seen the prices of alcohol? Would you rather get money for PETROL or "free drinks") and frankly clearly have no connection to diy or hardcore punk and are posting on the wrong forum.

(A) : (L) : (D)

It used to make me laugh in the past when the few times I would put a band on through Conspiracy or Riverman and the ridiculous rider requests you would get through would just prove how out of touch the booking agents were with the touring circuit and even the bands themselves. "Sandwiches on arrival at venue" was a good one - I never paid attention to any of that shite, and not once did a band turn up and ask me where the sandwiches or clean towels were.

Am I right in thinking a lot of gigs on mainland Europe are subsidised?

How a band that can pull at most 50 people on a Tuesday night in Stoke On Trent can expect to stay at the Hilton and dine out on lobster and caviar at the promoter's expense is beyond me.  You're on tour for god's sake - enjoy yourself and stop moaning.

I'll drink enough of anything to make this world seem new again