Re: England vs EUROPE. different ways of treating bands on tour

The bigger clubs and some youthclubs are subsidized at times – at least in some countries (there is no such thing as “Europe”…) – but I don’t think that has much to do with it. The DIY punkbands don’t play in the big clubs anyway – and when they play the youthclubs, they’re not going to be put up in hotels or whatever anyway. DIY punkbands mainly play the squats or places that used to be squats (which mostly aren’t subsidized either) or pub rooms like over here. But reading through the post that started this thread – I doubt we’re really talking about DIY punk bands anyway….
Anyway, with regards to diy punk bands; they do mostly get some number of free drinks on the mainland – but it’s a lot cheaper over there and makes more economic sense. Also because when you run the place yourself – as opposed to having to it in a commercial bar – you obviously pay a lot less for it due to buying the beer in yourself… I did gigs in the OCCII (www.occii.org) in Amsterdam when I lived there and as it was/is a place run by us, we could give every band that played a few coupons for drinks. We cooked them hot food and we gave them a floor (!) to sleep on in someone’s house or squat. The only thing that’s different when I do gigs now in the UK is that I don’t give them free beer – as it is so expensive and I rather give them the choice to make the decision themselves (!) regarding what they want to spend the money I give them on (petrol/beer/?) – instead of taking of a large amount for beer from the start. They still get fed and they still get a place to crash. People who complain about any of this, have clearly never done anything properly and don’t know the real financial situation/world of organizing a gig/tour that’s actually fair on the bands and realistic with an eye on their finances.

(A) : (L) : (D)

Cheap drinks in mainland Europe: good, locally brewed beer.
Cheap drinks in UK: Frosty Jacks and White Ace.

Next time anyone complains, lay on a few 2 litre bottles of the bad stuff.

Be polite
In the pyramid you hate

What gets my goat are shit [often US bands but not exclusively..]  who demand ridiculous guarantees/riders [£400 for playing the Packhorse in Leeds anyone??] or stay at some kids house  who's been decent enough to let them have a place to crash, then totally abuse them by running up huge phone bills to the states/or acting like arrogant assholes etc etc....

I've had considerable experience organising gigs and tours for bands in the past - we ALWAYS feed the bands [and more than some shitty vegan pasta slop] and provided them with a place to crash - sorry I've only got a small shitty flat , my mates live in a cold squat and I can't usually afford  to get you a crate of beer but that's the way it is over here.....

Putting bands on is a thankless task - made worse now by the attitude of kids that either won't pay in cos they're 'too crust maaan' or won't turn out cos the band isn't on some shite US label or aren't hip falvour of the month.....rant over.

They've stolen our world now they run the place

American bands complaining about lack of free beer in the UK is pretty ironic as they certainly rarely get that at DIY gigs in their own country.

You Wanna Buy The WHOLE IN THE HEAD Single, Or CONSTANT STATE OF TERROR, But They're Not Pressed In Red, So You Buy FUCKED UP Instead.

Tour America and you will be dying to tour the UK again. Hello 2 meals in 5 weeks, one of those was a stack of pizzas

steve wrote:

Tour America and you will be dying to tour the UK again. Hello 2 meals in 5 weeks, one of those was a stack of pizzas

Yeah, Americans who complain about the shit food in the UK can fuck right off - Denny's anyone? And free beer - you'll be lucky if you can even find an off license that's still open (depending on what state you're in), after you've loaded into the venue, which incidentally is right next to a crackhouse full of whores.

dudes, you don't really seem to get the point of what i tried to say and i'm afraid this conversation won't take us anywhere if (ironically) we don't take a few steps back and think twice before writing...thank you for all the explanation, though. peace out - mike

i think it's more to do with the way you worded your original comparison between the UK & continental Europe which at best was ill-considered & bound to get the backs up of people like me who have been putting on DIY gigs here for over 23 years & who has always endeavoured to treat touring bands with the upmost hospitality.

You Wanna Buy The WHOLE IN THE HEAD Single, Or CONSTANT STATE OF TERROR, But They're Not Pressed In Red, So You Buy FUCKED UP Instead.

i can remember when i went on tour in mainland Europe in '07.  One night we were promised 'comfortable and warm sleeping accomodation'.  We were put up in a barn.

Coldest nights sleep of my life.

No breakfast either.

Cunts.

What. A. Wanker.

If you hadn't been so concerned with your guarantees when you were booking this maybe you'd have had better luck.

Maybe rather than demanding £200 expenses a day for a band fucking no one in this country knows yet, they should have looked at cutting down costs, you know, like not having some Italian freeloader travelling with them who's only going to come onto a message board and bitch and moan about how not enough people dug into their pockets to give him more free shit, whilst up and down the country DIY promoters are working shitty jobs to pay the rents on the cold tiny fucking flats they let you stay in.

Fuck you. Honestly fuck you all the way to hell you cunt.

Mike - Persil Booking wrote:

dudes, you don't really seem to get the point of what i tried to say and i'm afraid this conversation won't take us anywhere if (ironically) we don't take a few steps back and think twice before writing...thank you for all the explanation, though. peace out - mike

Patronising tosser.

i'm italian, i know what great food is (it's the only great thing in a real fucked up country, i know what i'm talking about!!) and know how nice is getting good food after spending your day in the van, but i'm used to eat any kind of stuff when i'm abroad and i like it.

funny because touring Italy = pizza pasta & tomato sauce pizza pizza pasta & tomato sauce in my experience.

Kingmob wrote:

What. A. Wanker.

If you hadn't been so concerned with your guarantees when you were booking this maybe you'd have had better luck.

Maybe rather than demanding £200 expenses a day for a band fucking no one in this country knows yet, they should have looked at cutting down costs, you know, like not having some Italian freeloader travelling with them who's only going to come onto a message board and bitch and moan about how not enough people dug into their pockets to give him more free shit, whilst up and down the country DIY promoters are working shitty jobs to pay the rents on the cold tiny fucking flats they let you stay in.

End of thread

In Hey Colossus I was always surprised and overjoyed when we got paid, never mind got good food. Case in point- Bradford 1 in 12 - the most awesome chili after the worst drive we've ever had. Most people put some effort in in the UK, never met a complete arsehole, and some are total diamonds.

Having said this, Europe can be amazing, by the looks of it, eg our (subsidized) gig in Bilbao where we all got our own rooms, v high standard, everyone just seeming like is was normal service to bands...

what could the point possibly be other than whats been discussed?  M O N E Y

vafanculo

no bands.

Isn't all this 'experience' coming from a tour in which the band played EIGHTEEN dates in the UK, without going further north than Leeds? Overkill can work wonders for audience numbers.

go on tour with U2 dude.

stevefukkincridesagain wrote:

hello everybody
after spending 2 weeks on the road in England i thought a lot about the way most promoters treat bands and compared to the rest of Europe
i said MOST not ALL, that's very important!

England
no free drinks, shitty food - dinner & breakfast (lucky if you get both!), accomodation = floorspace in tiny cold flats, fees are lower than in mainland, ferries cost a fortune and everything is almost double more expensive...

Mainland
shitloads of free drinks, great food either take away or cooked on demand, wonderful breakfasts, comfy accomodations ( beds, large couches, sometimes entire private houses, hostels, B&B)

PS this isn't a criticism by any means, just a starting point to talk about differences among countries of the same continent. what do you think?

Fuck you, you tremendous cunt.

I bet your mother wishes she had aborted you.

Yes, I am so mad reading this I came back and posted, bra-fukkking-vo you man with a sock up your nose.

Started reading the post without reading the user name and thought "man, who is this Steve C imitation" but NO, the man himself! I go home on Thursday man for a month, if you're reading this then PM me your number. This is Andy Auld btw.

further to my previous water related comment.

promotional cans/bottles of irn bru are EVERYWHERE. you can't go wrong with 2 litres for 99p.

Kingmob wrote:

What. A. Wanker.

End of thread.

andyisdisgusting wrote:

This is Andy Auld btw.

Hi!

DIY minded recording in Leeds: www.suburbanhome.co.uk

Kierkegaard wrote:

Isn't all this 'experience' coming from a tour in which the band played EIGHTEEN dates in the UK, without going further north than Leeds? Overkill can work wonders for audience numbers.

I'd be pretty pissed off if I'd done 18 dates in the UK. Whether or not it went further north than Leeds.

no. it comes from 6 years spent touring pretty much all across europe with just a bit of england here and there. now, after 2 whole weeks i know i can't stand longer tours there. too bad about scotland, wales and ireland. i was really looking forward to all of these places but doordeals, last minute cancellations due to venue double bookings and expensive ferries didn't make it happen. besides this, all uk shows but stoke, birmingham and stockport were great. have a nice weekend dudes. take it easy. mike

similar to living in England vs. living in the rest of Europe.

just kidding !