Topic: Spotify

Has anyone else been using this?

Essentially, it's like last.fm meets itunes.  You can instantly stream whole albums for free, and there's no catch except for the occasional directgov advert and the medium bitrate (which is more than acceptable if you're at work and listening on tinny little speakers anyway).

It's still in beta, but I think it's going to be marketed as a legal and easier alternative to illegal downloading.  Obviously it doesn't have super obscure stuff on there, but today i've been listening to Low, Minutemen, Sufjan Stevens, Chet Baker, Mogwai, Black Flag...

You can get it here: www.spotify.com/en/get-started

DIY minded recording in Leeds: www.suburbanhome.co.uk

Re: Spotify

Yeah its real, didnt realise it had gone public i still have some invites.
it has plenty of hardcore and means not having to d/l stuff onto my work laptop.
i don't even mind the ads. pretty clever really.

Thanks for posting this, hadn't come across it at all. Nice changeup from last.fm.

directgov advert? how bizzare.

i haven't heard any of those bands

5 (edited by iburneditdown 12-01-2009 17:57:54)

I also like how they've written in the ability to make it scrobble to your last.fm account, even though last.fm are arguably a competitor.

yeah, just been trying this out and it seems pretty good. nice way to check out bands without having to deal with crappy myspace pages

when I got it you didn't need invites, but Rob signed up yesterday and I had to invite him.  It's ok, but I'd mainly use it for checking out stuff I dont really know much about, which it's kind of crap for at the moment as far as I've found.  Downloading other people's playlists is a nice touch even if half of them seem to be PR/media companies trying to use it as a promotional tool.

anyone have a spare invite?

You don't need one!  Just use that link at the top.

DIY minded recording in Leeds: www.suburbanhome.co.uk

i have ten now whereas before i only had five, just sent you one anyway kjetilh

streaming? bah

thanks bry

henning wrote:

streaming? bah

it streams instantly, it's kind of astounding, I have never had to wait for anything to stream, in fact songs play noticeably quicker than through itunes form my hard drive.

does anyone have an invite left for a guy like me? i can send you invites to demonoid if you dont have an account.

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

you dont need an invite it seems, just follow the link in the first post.

Been using this most of the afternoon/eve, massively grateful for finding this, thanks!

sweet! thats weird i could of sworn you needed an invite when i check out the site before. well,if anyone still wants a demonoid invite let me know.

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

this is amazing. i'm finding some really cool compilations i probably would have never heard when searching for some artists. i searched for vivien goldman (because she was mentioned in the booklet that came with the liquid liquid boxset) and found a really cool compilation with other people on i've never heard before.

thanks again matt.

it's a shame it won't auto setup a radio station for you like last.fm, but apart from that, good shit! nice find!

Andy Malcolm wrote:

it's a shame it won't auto setup a radio station for you like last.fm, but apart from that, good shit! nice find!

same here, it'd be great to just play something at random or recommend me things a la last.fm but the technology's fantastic. i have nine invites i think if anyone wants them?

if i had a job this would be perfect

Malicious Telecommunications (zines, gigs)
Pub Classics (punky podcast)
DIY Space for London (it's happening)

It's awesome.

There needs to be some more obscure stuff on there, but apparently they are rectifying that by contacting as many smaller labels and people as possible as well as the major ones.  The speed it buffers at is incredible, really really smart coding.

I think I've just fallen in love with a computer program.

i just found my dad using it to listen to graham parker and richard hell. he's digging it, so i may just have to try it myself.

Pseudo Colonial Pineapple Tour, 2011

currently using it to intensify my state of depression with arvo pärt's miserere.

also, thanks to this program i now know they still publish the word magazine.