Re: Funniest thing you've seen at a gig....

Campbell wrote:
DRIFT CATCHER 1998 wrote:

When Birds of Prey played the Fenton once, this like 50 old guy at the bar was all  "whats all this shit upstairs?"

i turned round when we were playing and he had his shirt open breakdancing/ cossack dancing??!!!!

Birds of Prey at the Fenton -  Wes's bleeding eye after I accidently  stabbed him (in his eye) with Lorgie's sword whilst he was dancing to Cher Believe.  A guy wants to put us at an art event in Leeds in October do you guys fancy it?

YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

don't PM me!
email: [email protected]

lots of kids dressed as harry potter and their mothers at a swan gig. harry and the potters were playing and had been on kids tv, but every other band were unpleasant shouty types - the fear on the mums' faces as kicked downstairs shouted and swore like troupers was priceless.

But the riff that was made from the base was the heavy, slowly, darkness, and bad feelings.

N.G STATE OF MIND wrote:
notoriousBOC wrote:
Ed wrote:

'Crazy' Niels moshing through a closed fire exit door at Dirty Money in Nottingham last year, pulling off the cloth draping which was flimsily held up by drawing pins, then trying to pin it back up much to no avail.

hahaha that and ilan kicking that mosher were two of the greatest things i've ever seen

that show was pretty funny all night. Old General regulars at the bottom of the stairs offering us a tenner for every cab, head and PA speaker as we loaded it all in... and then again as we loaded it all out again. And some kid of primary school age running around the gig with no shoes or shirt on. Standing the PA desk on a clapped out old tumble dryer. And a geriatric old dog scaring me. After the show, children in the street were begging money off the bands staying over at my house as well.

That dog scared the shit out of me. The general smell lingering everywhere was pure filth as well.

"Before I give my own review of this book I just want to say that I am a huge harry potter fan, to the extent that I actually have a deathly hallows tattoo on my bottom. I'm also quite ill right now, but I fought against my horrid cold to read this book. "

eze wrote:

lots of kids dressed as harry potter and their mothers at a swan gig. harry and the potters were playing and had been on kids tv, but every other band were unpleasant shouty types - the fear on the mums' faces as kicked downstairs shouted and swore like troupers was priceless.

Still one of the most surreal experiences of my entire life.

When we played with the Subhumans in Southampton last year, there was a chap a little worse for wear, who attempted to order a pint of guiness from the merch table! When it was explained to him that the merch table did not in fact sell alcohol, he started to get a tad irate. His dinosaur sized brain evidently pickled by the booze. Unable to comprehend what was going on - the absence of any taps, glasses, til or anyone else buying a drink clearly lost on him.  Eventually his girlfriend had to physically direct him - hands on shouders - from merch table to bar. It was very funny.

ha so many good ones from the Swan.

I always liked when the chinese knock-off DVD sellers wandered in trying to flog their wares mid-set

the swan gigs, realfest , many a soon the darkness gigs were tim was bundled by loads of us, karl spanking spencer's grinding arse right in front of a pop punk band at a verge all dayer, when everyone else was looking really serious, then pole dancing in the middle, a tramp wandering in with blood on his hand and disease-ridden face and AIDS hatted spencer's cap, which led to a benny hill chase-off.
the let's lynch the landlord fest at the polaris/harp seal house when an LSD'd-up bloke repeatedly kept throwing himself down the stairs, then was found outside fast asleep on a raging bonfire, until the ambulence turned up for him.

That Nottingham show with the nuts dog and the weird kids running around was insane. Also, I went outside to smoke and was directed back inside, post-smoking ban "its awwrigh lurv ye can smorke in eer". Strange.

Fish wrote:
Edgecrusher2k8 wrote:
notoriousBOC wrote:

I remember turning up early to one of Jack's gigs at the swan once, drunk, and watching videos of girls shaking their arses on a projector in the back room. I thought I was in heaven

Loads of funny stuff happened with the locals at the Swan who would occasionally wander aimlessly into the gig room whilst some metalcore band would be playing.

I remember a Kaospilot show there where the back room had been double booked, so the bands played on one side of the main bar room. It was a next level sight with all the screamo kids in tight shirts and white belts crammed on the one side watching the bands play with the locals on the other going about their regular business and occasionally wading obliviously through the crowd to use the cigarette machine or the toilets.

The old woman playing the fruity while Plague of Zoltan played, occasionally looking round in utter disgust at the vocalist.

Amazing.

haha - that was brilliant.

i forgot AIDS tramp - that was the vege innit?

But the riff that was made from the base was the heavy, slowly, darkness, and bad feelings.

yeah, at the verge. I'd like to add that squat gig where we got lost in a sea of bicyles on the way out and were missing (tangled) for nearly an hour, 'cause we were so pissed, but i didn't actually see it, so can't.

one of the singers of TRC riding his bike into the dome right up to the stage just before they played, putting it up on stage and then picking up the mic to commence the set with precision timing.

At one of the old Island Of Punk's, a drunk climbed onto the stage and passed out, followed by Alan Tomley's dog who proceeded to hump him. The band played on for a couple of minutes then the drummer stood up and announced he couldn't play while someone was being shagged by a dog.
A severely hung over Youngy playing a Black Ark gig and barfing into a bucket on stage without missing a note. This was funny until afterwards I realised the bucket was just going to sit there, so I had to go empty it. I get to the toilet to find he'd chundered all over the cubicle and sink too.
That Step On It/banana skin incident was amazing, couldn't have been more perfect if it had been intentionally.
Alan Tomley being banned from the Tap was awesome, he'd try a variety of disguises to get back in, including a radiation suit and a tarpaulin.

steve wrote:

one of the singers of TRC riding his bike into the dome right up to the stage just before they played, putting it up on stage and then picking up the mic to commence the set with precision timing.

!

oubliette wrote:

I didn't witness it myself but the Jesus Years and Explorer boys told me about the time that they ended up playing an all dayer with Bring Me the Horizon (I think!) and as he jumped into the crowd, his emo wig went flying!

Wish I'd have been there for that!

This was in Grimsby and just as fantastic as it sounds. Him scrambling about on the floor in a packed room trying to find his hair extensions.

There was another time where a similar style band of that time were all in the toilets before they played blow drying their hair under the hand dryers while practising their screaming and all straightening their hair. Incredible to see, especially in that scummy venue.

one of my favourite fun experience was when we (we are corpses) and yossarian is drowning played a couple of shows one weekend with rolo tomassi and during they're set, back when they only had that tape out and it had that long song with the telephone rings in the middle and then he goes "hello" and kicks back in. well everyone in the crowd shouted waaasssssuuuuuuuupppppppppp which went on for about 5 minutes before they kicked back into the song. was a great moment

this songs on the house,and this ones for you, i don't like the way you're treating me, I WANNA FIGHT.

An Angry White Boy shirt.

"There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore,
There is society where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar;
I love not Man the less, but Nature more."

xLordSummerislex wrote:

A severely hung over Youngy playing a Black Ark gig and barfing into a bucket on stage without missing a note.

He was on his hands and knees between songs dry boaking too!

Actually, the time Desalvo played, then Animal got down and started doing push ups for no explicable reason. Even though the singer had the mask on, you could see he was thinking "who the fuck is this, and what is he all about?".

Pauly_j wrote:
oubliette wrote:

I didn't witness it myself but the Jesus Years and Explorer boys told me about the time that they ended up playing an all dayer with Bring Me the Horizon (I think!) and as he jumped into the crowd, his emo wig went flying!

This was in Grimsby and just as fantastic as it sounds. Him scrambling about on the floor in a packed room trying to find his hair extensions.

There was another time where a similar style band of that time were all in the toilets before they played blow drying their hair under the hand dryers while practising their screaming and all straightening their hair. Incredible to see, especially in that scummy venue.

a similar hilarious hair-metalcore story: penknifelovelife played josephs well, and the guitarist was spinning his guitar around, and throwing himself around like a goon, and hit the bassist in the face with his headstock. bassist collapsed off the front of stage into the crowd in a pool blood and got dragged off to the toilet and then taken off to hospital. apparently his eyesocket got shattered. the look on everyone's faces was priceless.

to be fair, it's not that similar a story.

MattBenn wrote:
Pauly_j wrote:
oubliette wrote:

a similar hilarious hair-metalcore story: penknifelovelife played josephs well, and the guitarist was spinning his guitar around, and throwing himself around like a goon, and hit the bassist in the face with his headstock. bassist collapsed off the front of stage into the crowd in a pool blood and got dragged off to the toilet and then taken off to hospital. apparently his eyesocket got shattered. the look on everyone's faces was priceless.

This reminds me of a gig I went to at the Common Place once where this band were playing (I think) on a very weird bill with Bring Me the Horizon, Valhalla Pacifists and Duck Stab. The place was full of horrible little arrogant 16 year old myspace wankers, who got more and more paralytic as the night went on. Not sure I've seen as much vomit in one place before, and it was even more surreal as I'd stopped drinking for a bit at the time.

A really bad noise gig at the Fenton, which was saved by an absolutely riotous and chaotic Bongoleeros set at the end of the night, but kicked off in tragic style by a chap who called himself Betty. He travelled up from London on the invitation of Monopolka who was also playing that night, but neglected to check with the promoter if it was alright. It was a Termite Club gig, so Mike Dando was running it and allowed him to play on the condition that it wouldn't be a very long set. When he came to play there was literally me, Steve Warwick, Paul Steere, the Monopolka guy and Mike Dando in the room, and all he did was plug a flimsy looking homebuilt mic into a couple of pedals and dangled it infront of an amp for 20 seconds until it fell apart much to his despair. He turned the amp off and that was that, leaving Dando to declare "I know I said to keep it short, but that was ridiculous!!!". Later on in the night a guy from LA called DOG played who was on date 2 of his 2 date European tour (Antwerp and Leeds), and whose set involved shoving what looked like a pound shop microphone into a green metal tube, thus producing no sound at all - I thought I was going mental.

There was a great Spin Spin the Dogs gig a few years back when they opened for Afrirampo in London, and some random homeless looking nutcase just got up onstage played his flute with them for a couple of songs. It was pretty next level.

73 (edited by MattBenn 09-05-2009 13:47:46)

mikeplanes wrote:

to be fair, it's not that similar a story.

nah, i just spotted 'bring me the horizon' and saw an opening for an anecdote.

Fray Bentos wrote:

yeah, at the verge. I'd like to add that squat gig where we got lost in a sea of bicyles on the way out and were missing (tangled) for nearly an hour, 'cause we were so pissed, but i didn't actually see it, so can't.

Yeah, that was the Process gig at the Poison Club. A lot of funny shit went on there.

Be polite
In the pyramid you hate

Ed wrote:
N.G STATE OF MIND wrote:
notoriousBOC wrote:

hahaha that and ilan kicking that mosher were two of the greatest things i've ever seen

that show was pretty funny all night. Old General regulars at the bottom of the stairs offering us a tenner for every cab, head and PA speaker as we loaded it all in... and then again as we loaded it all out again. And some kid of primary school age running around the gig with no shoes or shirt on. Standing the PA desk on a clapped out old tumble dryer. And a geriatric old dog scaring me. After the show, children in the street were begging money off the bands staying over at my house as well.

That dog scared the shit out of me. The general smell lingering everywhere was pure filth as well.

there was a hole in the wall that i didn't notice, I think i saw something move out of the corner of my eye and assumed it was a mirror, then when i turned round that wierd kid was just starting at me through it, to say i shit myself would be an understatement