1 (edited by jebb 09-07-2009 21:50:52)

Topic: public toilets in North America

this has bothered me since an early age (nasty bout of food poisoning whilst at philadelphia airport!) but having just got back from a trip to canada i thought it would be the right time to ask what the deal is with the inch wide gaps down each side of the cubicle doors? why wouldn't you just make sure that those doors seal right up when shut?!

i dont think ive ever been in a public toilet in the US where this hasn't been the case. thoughts?

Re: public toilets in North America

It's to make it easier to look into the cubicle and observe the person inside properly. In this country it's a lot harder - sometimes I have to go into the adjacent cubicle, stand on the toilet lid and look over the partition in order to get a proper look.

Re: public toilets in North America

Kunal wrote:

It's to make it easier to look into the cubicle and observe the person inside properly. In this country it's a lot harder - sometimes I have to go into the adjacent cubicle, stand on the toilet lid and look over the partition in order to get a proper look.

also, subtle deployment of a cameraphone under the partition between stalls - ideally angled up and set slightly behind the porcelain unit itself so as to remain clandestine - creates a feeling like that of a voyeur Gulliver.

using gay to describe some novelty christmas cards is just so fucking ignorant

Re: public toilets in North America

i always thought it was for those moments when you realise those nachos are burning right through what little toilet paper there is left and you have to share your neighbours'

Pseudo Colonial Pineapple Tour, 2011

Re: public toilets in North America

Lt_Nick wrote:
Kunal wrote:

It's to make it easier to look into the cubicle and observe the person inside properly. In this country it's a lot harder - sometimes I have to go into the adjacent cubicle, stand on the toilet lid and look over the partition in order to get a proper look.

also, subtle deployment of a cameraphone under the partition between stalls - ideally angled up and set slightly behind the porcelain unit itself so as to remain clandestine - creates a feeling like that of a voyeur Gulliver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swimming_Pool_Library

don't PM me!
email: [email protected]

Re: public toilets in North America

ur-reading for 07:30

using gay to describe some novelty christmas cards is just so fucking ignorant

Re: public toilets in North America

Had perhaps the most uncomfortable toilet experience of my life whilst in NY. I hurried into some bar mid afternoon to take a shit. Whilst sat down I noticed how the gap between down the side of the door was the biggest I was yet to encounter, however, this was a minor issue, after standing to wipe my ass I became very conscious of how the cubicle walls were below shoulder height and the one urinal was just next to the cubicle against the same wall as the toilet I was using. So as I stood there wiping my ass I was whispering distance from some dude taking a piss able to see everything. I was so shook up, I left the toilet, leaving my bag above the loo and the next guy went in. he locked up, dropped his cacks began to sit down and I then turned and asked if he could pass my bag back over the low door, which he kindly with no hassle.

Also:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs089.snc1/5089_757397089979_197805679_45930984_7253537_n.jpg

what?

Re: public toilets in North America

similar thing in 1982 in gainesville, toilet at the side of the room with no cubicle, urinals down the side and no lock on the door. pretty sure thats some sort of human rights violation

Re: public toilets in North America

i have never noticed this in the bathrooms of the four different states i've pooped/peed in.  maybe it is a gentlemen's thing.

Re: public toilets in North America

Stroid wrote:

Also:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs089.snc1/5089_757397089979_197805679_45930984_7253537_n.jpg

what?

This is so so wrong yet so common out there. I've lost count of the number of times I've discussed this bizarre set up with my American friends but they don't seem to see any problem!

Re: public toilets in North America

Recently, whilst camping in Arches national park in Utah this odd eccentricity of american cubicles was brought home to me by a deeply unsettling experience. 

I wake in the middle of the night to the unpleasant realisation I have to shit.  Out of my sleeping bag I struggle and into my cold weather gear (there's a 4 inches of snow on the ground and air temperature is hovering around -8)  and stumble bleary eyed to the nearest toilet block by the light of my head lamp.  On the way, I notice a family has arrived really late to the site and is setting up their tents and don't seem to happy about the cold.  I enter the toilet block and settle into a cubicle to take care of business and due to the lateness of the hour my head drops to my folded arms across my knees.  A couple of seconds later I look up and the light from my head lamp reflects off a single black eye staring in at me from a snow white face at waist height (if I was stood up) through the gap in the cubicle.  I yip like a startled 10 year old girl (but ironically maintain sphincter control) and the eye and eye owning face shuffle away into the darker recesses of the block (which is unlit at night as the lights are solar powered).  Close to hyperventilating I finish up and slip uneasily out of the cubicle cursing my love of Japanese horror films.  I discover two children in the block.  Both have large suitcases with them.  One case is open and it's child guardian is wriggling into the packed clothes within like a grub into dead flesh.  The other child stands silently staring (sleeplily or malavolently i couldn't tell) at the first.  The next morning I decided they were the kids of the late arriving family who were seeking shelter from the cold and snow whilst their folks setup camp and not a pair of diseased twilight zone inhabitng, suitcase dwelling demons as had crossed my mind as I fled from the toilet block through the snow the night before.
USA toilet fear!

dont struggle!

12 (edited by jebb 10-07-2009 10:10:13)

Re: public toilets in North America

these are all harrowing stories chaps! mine was an absolute nightmare and following on from what has already been mentioned not only were the gaps far too wide for comfort but you could have crawled under the door and anyone over 5'11 could quite happily have watched me for hours, thank god the nfl was on in the club lounge! i had 7 hours of rushing to and from though, oh the shame!

Re: public toilets in North America

Came accros this Germany last week and was informed its to deter people from using public bathrooms to shoot up drugs (or whatever they do), my friend who has been to New York several times told me that is also not uncommon there to have UV lights in the bathrooms which apparently prevents people finding a vein to spike.

Can you really be sure of the goddamn time of day?

Re: public toilets in North America

they used to have those lights in the toilets at waterloo east. not sure if they are still there

15

Re: public toilets in North America

not a deal in ladies loos in the muricah, that i've ever seen?!

Re: public toilets in North America

xmilox wrote:

Came accros this Germany last week and was informed its to deter people from using public bathrooms to shoot up drugs (or whatever they do), my friend who has been to New York several times told me that is also not uncommon there to have UV lights in the bathrooms which apparently prevents people finding a vein to spike.

they have UV lights in some toilets here, maybe just around some smack hotspots though.

Re: public toilets in North America

lukeg wrote:

similar thing in 1982 in gainesville, toilet at the side of the room with no cubicle, urinals down the side and no lock on the door. pretty sure thats some sort of human rights violation

i have fallen victim to these same toilets. the broken lock wouldn't be so bad if you were able to maybe stick a leg out to keep it shut but it's awkward seeing as it's to your right and too far forward. what confused me is how even though the walls in the cubicle are really low, still no-one notices there's anyone in there so you'll get a nice little parade of people bursting in before awkwardly having to saunter back out again. traumatising.

Pseudo Colonial Pineapple Tour, 2011

Re: public toilets in North America

this is inhuman, I think someone needs to be getting on the phone to amnesty international about this. I would have hoped to travel to the US one day, but after hearing this? How could I consider it?

Every public toilet in Leith is used for shooting junk in. This is a given. But I have no more desire to see a smacked oot junkie with a needle in his arm drooling than I do to see a fat guy on the pan with his trousers around his ankles. LEAVE THE DOORS ON!

Re: public toilets in North America

this whole sub-par toilet arrangement is particularly strange considering how Americans are often so neurotic about such things (toilet-seat covers etc.). Thinking maybe public toilets are viewed a bit like how public transport is in the states: only to be used by lower-class scum with no other option.

We're going to party, karamu, fiesta, forever.

List/Listless: http://listless1.bandcamp.com

Re: public toilets in North America

You hoity-toity Brits and your bathroom issues. Here in America, everything is a party. We like to communicate. Break down the walls and such. You can never really know a man until you both have shared an intimate moment in a public bathroom. Your George Michael knew that.

Re: public toilets in North America

While we're on the subject of moaning about US bogs, how come they all have that little shelf before the water? You essentially have to dump onto the shelf and then flush it away. There it is looking up at you when you're done ... plus you lose the cleansing effect of the log backsplash.

Bloody animals those yanks.

Be polite
In the pyramid you hate

Re: public toilets in North America

windofpain wrote:

While we're on the subject of moaning about US bogs, how come they all have that little shelf before the water? You essentially have to dump onto the shelf and then flush it away. There it is looking up at you when you're done ... plus you lose the cleansing effect of the log backsplash.

Bloody animals those yanks.

They have these "inspection shelves" in Europe too i believe.

Note to Stroid - please stop taking photos in toilets!

Re: public toilets in North America

Also, if this thread doesn't run to more pages than the "Good Films?" one, I'll buy a hat and then eat it.

Re: public toilets in North America

Those UV lights are a pain. I normally just jab it in my cock and hope for the best.

25 (edited by Timmy 10-07-2009 16:59:57)

Re: public toilets in North America

axisofevil wrote:

Thinking maybe public toilets are viewed a bit like how public transport is in the states: only to be used by lower-class scum with no other option.

Well this is kind of the impression I get from those I talk to. They look at me like I'm slightly mental and suggest a normal person would take a crap before going out. That's fine if you're one of those once a day on the dot regular types but being a curry loving pisshead there's no telling when the next visit will be necessary and I'm sure the rest of the pub don't want to have to share the experience just as I don't much want to share it with them!