1 (edited by trashman 02-08-2009 15:51:46)

Topic: lets talk about shoegaze/dream pop

Really liked the other thread about garage etc. It would be nice if we could just do the same but for shoegazer/ dreamy pop stuff as well. Seems like there,s a few newer bands blasting out some great jams. Im pretty out of touch with a lot of this stuff so please recommend the good stuff with links,both new and old:)

honorable mentions from recent purchases that ive been loving have been

katie the pest - http://www.myspace.com/katiethepest if you havent checked them out yet do it now. Beautiful hazy summer night shoegaze/indie pop with lush female vocals. probably been one of my favourite albums this year even though it came out about 3 years ago.

Nadja - http://www.myspace.com/nadjaluv can i get away with calling these guys shoegazer?i dunno,either way i love the racket they make. Recently bought their covers album and cant stop listening to thier My bloody valentine cover. Definitely some beautiful noise in there somewhere.

Atlas sound - http://www.myspace.com/bradfordcox that trendy dude from deer hunter's side project. I think i could put on "Recent bedroom" every night while i go to sleep and not get bored. Absolutely love that track

lotus plaza - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kJcJdFaJ7A the other guy from deerhunter plays with himself as well. similar stuff to atlas sound and deerhunter again. Really nice to put on and chill to!

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

Re: lets talk about shoegaze/dream pop

I like Nadja a lot, but they are too prolific. I'm not sure if you need more than a couple of their releases.

3 (edited by AlexN 02-08-2009 16:35:24)

Zaza: http://www.myspace.com/warofzaza

The Depreciation Guild: http://www.myspace.com/thedepreciationguild (although i don't really like the guys voice)

and an old one;

A R Kane: http://www.myspace.com/arkaneuk

4 (edited by trashman 02-08-2009 16:39:04)

Kunal wrote:

I like Nadja a lot, but they are too prolific. I'm not sure if you need more than a couple of their releases.

yeah totally. I have 3 albums on my computer and with the exception of 2 tracks i couldnt tell you what songs are on what. Still, its nice to put on every now and again in the morning or late at night regardelss of my lack of attn to details.

nice one Al, I haven't heard of any of those!

Also you can download the Zaza Ep for free from here:

http://zazasound.com/cameodownload.html

It's pretty good.

Stays Demons is my favorite Nadja song, amazingly epic. Really liking the Katie and the pest stuff posted too, thanks for that. Not sure if they qualify for this thread, but does anybody here like Swirlies? Blonder Tongue Audio Baton is a corker.

swirlies are a corker of a band.

I'm gonna lurk this thread.

a thug changes and love changes and best friends become strangers word up

ringo death starr are pretty cool, although most of the stuff i have heard lately in this style sounds way too much like mbv to be worth spending much time with, and i end up listening to katie the pest instead.

caroline wrote:

swirlies are a corker of a band.

Agreed. 'House of Pancake' is a good un'.

I don't think anything will ever beat Slowdive for me. EVER.

Retention colours are the only true colours.

i like flying saucer attack and galaxie 500

12 (edited by Family Circus 03-08-2009 21:17:32)

Never really got into FSA but Galaxie 500 are the buh-buh-buh-bomb.

Oh, and the Brian Jonestown Massacre album 'Methodrone'. Shoegazey as fuck. Shame they turned to utter shat later.

Family Circus wrote:

what would you recommend an album to start on with slowdive? from description they sound right up my street but i swear when ive checked them out in the past i just couldnt get into it.

dontcarewhere wrote:

i like flying saucer attack and galaxie 500

same applies with these two. For some reason i always assumed galaxie 500 played completely different kind of music to shoegaze.

Family Circus wrote:

Oh, and the Brian Jonestown Massacre album 'Methodrone'. Shoegazey as fuck. Shame they turned to utter shat later.

sweet, will have to check that one out. got a couple of their albums and love um. Every one has been really different. I really liked that wacky "Bring Me the Head of Paul McCartney on Heather Mill's Wooden Peg" tune that came out relatively recent.

Lilys are a very good band also.

trashman wrote:
Family Circus wrote:

what would you recommend an album to start on with slowdive? from description they sound right up my street but i swear when ive checked them out in the past i just couldnt get into it.

same applies with these two. For some reason i always assumed galaxie 500 played completely different kind of music to shoegaze.

Slowdive, I reckon 'Souvlaki'. It's a bit long maybe but it's got some hella tunes. 'Machine Gun' and 'So Tired' particularly.

Galaxie 500 - 'On Fire' is pretty good but I always felt that it pittered out a bit toward the end. Just my thoughts though.

trashman wrote:
Family Circus wrote:

sweet, will have to check that one out. got a couple of their albums and love um. Every one has been really different. I really liked that wacky "Bring Me the Head of Paul McCartney on Heather Mill's Wooden Peg" tune that came out relatively recent.

I havent followed their recent stuff to be honest. 'Methodrone' has to be one of my all-time favorite albums regardless of genre or whatever. It really is that good.

ALSO TRASHMAN - I think that Galaxie 500 isnt usually associated with shoegaze because they don't actually 'shoegaze' with all the fancy guitar pedals and whatnot (like Slowdive do).

Caroline - 'Lilys' - YES.

i think i have mentioned them on this site before, but i am a big fan of:

http://www.myspace.com/loveliescrushing

beautiful dreamy noise.

19 (edited by trashman 03-08-2009 21:49:52)

Family Circus wrote:

I havent followed their recent stuff to be honest. 'Methodrone' has to be one of my all-time favorite albums regardless of genre or whatever. It really is that good.

ALSO TRASHMAN - I think that Galaxie 500 isnt usually associated with shoegaze because they don't actually 'shoegaze' with all the fancy guitar pedals and whatnot (like Slowdive do).

Caroline - 'Lilys' - YES.

ok cool. to be honest although i like a lot of this stuff my knowledge is fairly limited! ive probably not listened to a lot of "essential" stuff.

As far as newer music goes though you can download DEAD MELLOTRON's album for free off their last-fm page. Definitely a fan of this kind of sound! http://www.last.fm/music/dead+mellotron
- any stuff more like this would be great!

I'll have a listen! There arn't many contemporary bands of this ilk that I've actually been able to get into to be honest - it always seems a bit old hat. That said, that Gliss band that Andy reviewed recently were alright I guess.

Oh and how could I forget? Spacemen 3 too. Jesus and the Mary Chain as well. Cocteau Twins too!

Cripes, it's all coming back to me.

trashman wrote:

For some reason i always assumed galaxie 500 played completely different kind of music to shoegaze.

they do. they fit better with stuff like codeine. just miserable shit. good though!

Andy Malcolm wrote:

just miserable shit.

Haha definitely.

Andy Malcolm wrote:
trashman wrote:

For some reason i always assumed galaxie 500 played completely different kind of music to shoegaze.

they do. they fit better with stuff like codeine. just miserable shit. good though!

haha yeah i just listened to a few tunes on last fm. Their tune "strange" is great. Reminds me of that mazzy star tune. Really dig it. Kinda Bad stuff to start listening to considering im already in a miserable mood though hah.

Trash chap - what's you're last.fm thingy if you don't mind me asking? I like to perv on others music tastes.

trashman wrote:
Andy Malcolm wrote:
trashman wrote:

haha yeah i just listened to a few tunes on last fm. Their tune "strange" is great. Reminds me of that mazzy star tune. Really dig it. Kinda Bad stuff to start listening to considering im already in a miserable mood though hah.

don´t go and listen to codeine then!