Re: lets talk about shoegaze/dream pop

that mazzy star album is still amazing. i made the mistake of listening to it fairly recently and ended up wanting to put my head in the oven

Family Circus wrote:

I'll have a listen! There arn't many contemporary bands of this ilk that I've actually been able to get into to be honest - it always seems a bit old hat. That said, that Gliss band that Andy reviewed recently were alright I guess.

Oh and how could I forget? Spacemen 3 too. Jesus and the Mary Chain as well. Cocteau Twins too!

Cripes, it's all coming back to me.

sweet.i will look into gliss. Seems i missed that review! i quite enjoyed "psychocandy" especially for "just like honey", although its a bit played out i still utterly love that song. i bought their "honeys dead" lp and for some reason i still find it really hard to get into. no idea why though. it just doesnt hold up as good as "psycho candy" for me.

Cocteau twins sound great.i have "the spangle maker" 12" and love the tracks on their but never really known where to go as they have quite a back catalog  behind them. any suggestions if i liked that ep?

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

Family Circus wrote:

Trash chap - what's you're last.fm thingy if you don't mind me asking? I like to perv on others music tastes.

its http://www.last.fm/user/trashman84 .although i manly listen to my stuff when going to sleep so theres not much too exciting on there!

29 (edited by Family Circus 03-08-2009 22:11:36)

Yeah 'Psychocandy' is the only album that I could get into by them to be honest. And 'just like honey' can never be overplayed! Ever!

Cocteau Twins - 'Treasure'.

I think that was the first thing I ever heard by them and I'm adamant it's one of the best.

EDIT: Thanks!

Retention colours are the only true colours.

A quick perv on your last.fm has reminded me that not only are M83 pretty good, but that they also probably fall into the category of contemporary shoegaze. Yesssss.

pfft, m83 are totally volvo / coffee table.

volvo?

middle class easy listening, a la post rock.

Andy Malcolm wrote:

Haha hells yeah, some of it's super catchy though! Unbelievably so. Admittedly there's better stuff out there, might as well flag it up for the purposes of this thread!

post rock isn't easy listening though wink

Andy Malcolm wrote:

haha shhhssss!!

family circus wrote:

Cocteau Twins - 'Treasure'.

I think that was the first thing I ever heard by them and I'm adamant it's one of the best.

just listened to the first track on this. YES! I used to have this track on a tape from years ago. Never knew who it was though. i have seriously been cheered up a whole lot by now knowing this track. nice one!

pale saints¿

trashman wrote:

just listened to the first track on this. YES! I used to have this track on a tape from years ago. Never knew who it was though. i have seriously been cheered up a whole lot by now knowing this track. nice one!

Happy to help! smile

Here's a shoegaze monster!!!! Great song, great band.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXF9DG9FGo

Chris Cooter wrote:

Here's a shoegaze monster!!!! Great song, great band.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXF9DG9FGo

love that song.  like a lot of the UVS stuff but nothing is as good as mercy seat.

I'm actively using shoegaze riffing in my new band which is detuned brutal heavyness with intense atmospheric boughts of shimmer! It's coming along nicely and all the songs are about tank battles........... I'm loving it, brought out my love for unashamed pretentiousness, which when applied correctly is a great thing. Strangely these are things I've had trouble bringing too Geoffrey Oi!cott......

shame, i was looking forward to the oi!cott shoegaze lp.

found these guys on the internets the other day. The albums not bad.

The Thrushes -  www.myspace.com/thrushes  - female based dream indie pop stuff. They're a bit jesus mary chain in few songs but still hold it up pretty well if your into this sort of stuff. they even have a cover of "Fade into you" on their myspace if your feeling miserable enough.

His Clancyness - Hissometer CS is probably the best dream pop I've heard this year. Its upped on hardcorefuckingrules.blogspot.com for anyone who hasn't heard it. It was released in a ridiculously small pressing and is way oop now, I believe.

a thug changes and love changes and best friends become strangers word up

Winter Drones:

http://www.myspace.com/leonjdufficy

pearl harbor under their new name. a poppier antarctica with girls singing. this is brilliant!

is there any more wall ofnoise/punker Shoegaze/Noise pop or proto Shoegaze stuff I should know about that may not be obvious?

I like stuff like:

early Lush
early Jesus and Mary Chain
early Pale Saints
Swervedriver

Most of the poppy Shoegaze kinda stuff is pretty shit, but I really like this tune:

ps:

Possibly my favourite Shoegaze track

do you like Loop? maybe lean a bit more towards the Spacemen 3 side of things, but still awesome. try listen to Heaven's End

if you're happy with checking out a newer band joe, try no joy (not safe for work!)