Topic: The Units

I tuned into to a friends radio show on resonance fm the other week and his guest on the show played an absolute ripper of a track by the units called "high pressure days".

After listening to it for ages on youtube i ended up buying the new collection cd  - History of the Units (The Early Years 1977-1983)). - Its pretty much been the soundtrack to my trips to and from work for the last week. They remind me of the screamers in parts as well as devo. I dont know anything about old synth punk like this apart from a screamers lp i downloaded but you can tell they had a big influence on bands like digital leather and some of the other jay reatard related bands.

Anyone know much about this guff? any other good bands old and new that do the synth punk thang?

in the mean time, if youve not heard them, check out high pressure days - www.youtube.com/watch?v=isI3ihO4Z3I

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

Re: The Units

Amazing band, very glad their stuff got reissued. The only thing wrong with their lp is that "High Pressure Days" is such an incredible song, that the rest of the record pales in comparison.

3 (edited by trashman 14-08-2009 12:59:58)

haha yeah, i just keep going back to it whilst playing that cd. i cant help myself. Theres a good 3 or 4 tracks in a row on the cd that ive got on constantly at the moment, its "bird river, high pressure days, i- night, Contemporary Emotions" then the next track is like some crazy breaks tune. Theyre such a weird diverse band.

i imagine they went to shit in the late 80s?

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

check out that track and more like it on our free downloadable comps www.myspace.com/wheretonowdjs

There was also a cracking, slightly more disco-y single called "The Right Man" that they released after the lp. Not sure if that's on the reissue, but it is worth checking out regardless.