Re: new emo bands

petethefeet wrote:

Never really liked Calvary from what I've heard of them.

Wut. I can't get that people don't dig this band... More for me, I guess!

Joe C wrote:

and yeah I guess we have been messing about with the kinda unhinged funk thing.. or as Andy M put it "art funk inbetween the emo songs"

Like later Franklin?

dubmo.

alan wrote:
petethefeet wrote:

also only recently got into them. i think what was stopping me was trying to get into them as post-current and not as a beast of its own

Hot off the press, apparently Brito have a new drummer and are writing new songs. Someone with connections find out more!

56 (edited by Kunal 06-01-2010 22:00:53)

alan wrote:
petethefeet wrote:

I'm not so steeped in the genre, but I think that Calvary LP is totally top notch. Sounds a lot like Rites Of Spring, I'm cool with that.
Did they do other records?

just a demo and 7".

Oli wrote:

Hot off the press, apparently Brito have a new drummer and are writing new songs. Someone with connections find out more!

I posted that in here yesterday on page 2!

Retention colours are the only true colours.

Oh shit didn't see it!

No worries! Really looking forward to any new material they come up with. LP was a blinder.

www.myspace.com/boysandsex and www.myspace.com/snowingtheband are two of my favorites right now.

TheBunk wrote:

www.myspace.com/boysandsex and www.myspace.com/snowingtheband are two of my favorites right now.

not really a fan of this kind of music myself. it's all so samey and twiddly.

Same. Would go see these bands live but not really bothered about listening to their records. Appreciate the recommendations though, had not heard of Snowing.

i'm disappointed oli! http://www.collective-zine.co.uk/reviews?id=7118

not even sure i'd bother going to see them live, algernon cadwallader bored the pants off me.

They are both a bit more emo than Algernon?

I read most reviews, honest! The abstract for that one must have put me off. Just making an order from sncl for that Straight No Chaser band based on your review! Looks awesome.

i remember straight no chaser being kind of techy ? or am i wrong ? i used to have some sort of demo a couple years ago or so

i like snowing, i think they write songs

constant wrote:

i remember straight no chaser being kind of techy ?

read the review wink

Family Circus wrote:
wallyofdoom wrote:
Oli wrote:

Ah ok then your info is correct and that's good news. I thought they had packed it in because they couldn't find a drummer - they have been looking for one for quite a few months now!!

it has been a long time indeed... would be a shame if they don't find one sad they were reaaaaaaaaaaaally awesome the few times i saw them play!

They did find one, posted a myshat bulletin up about it a few weeks ago. Writing new material soon apparently.

oehhh, awesome! smile

Oli wrote:

Same. Would go see these bands live but not really bothered about listening to their records. Appreciate the recommendations though, had not heard of Snowing.

Snowing are ex-Street Smart Cyclist. I listened to some rough demos on myspazz ages ago and they weren't anything amazing, but I should probably give them a second chance.

i was dissapointed straight no chaser werent sad slow drunken emo witha a name like that sad

cold beer in my mouth and tears in my eyes

Straight No Chaser is a Men’s a Capella group from Indiana University, started in 1996.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/20087311.jpg

Pseudo Colonial Pineapple Tour, 2011

Those lot are better. There are at least 4 bands with this name - http://www.last.fm/music/Straight+No+Chaser - has anyone ever heard someone utter the words 'Straight, No Chaser' when ordering a drink?

Is anyone else actually enjoying listening to the a cappella guys? Seriously, I am.

Thoughts on this page of the thread:

Snowing - really liked the first 2 tracks on the 7" but the others were boring.
I don't like Boys and Sex.
Oli, gonna review their stuff? I think you should...