Re: WHO RECORDED YOUR RECORDS?

Your Name: Dom

Band's Name: CHOPS

Record(s) Name: doesn't have one yet, but it's a split 12" on Upset The Rhythm with another UK band, possibly Drumize, if they get it together and find time to record!!

Recording Studio Name:  NO RECORDING STUDIO

Location?:  Lubbard's Lodge Farm, Southend (Rayleigh to be more precise). Surrounded by horse stables. And weird tunnel tent building things, which very much look like they could be filled with weed (but probably aren't, unfortunately).

What rate did you pay?: We didn't. John very kindly offered a series of free days to U!TR so that Chris can release more UK bands, and so that John gets to record some more bands he's interested in recording (rather than lots of covers bands!). John originally offered one free day, but there was a bit of a communication breakdown, as we thought we were recording for a split 10" - only to find out it's actually a 12", so we didn't have enough music recorded! John is so nice that he was happy to have us back for a second free day to record more music to fill our side of the vinyl!

Studio Engineer: John Hannon

Mix Engineer: John Hannon

How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Perhaps i'm a bit premature here, because we haven't got the full mixes back yet... But I'm fully happy with the rough mix. The drums are sounding really good! And even in the rough mix, John has managed to capture a good balance of the fuzzy distortion of our crap equipment, as well as some how finding some clarity in what we're playing (the man's a wizard i tell thee!), so it's what we were after - noisy, but with all the sounds easily audible. We did a few overdubs here and there, and rather than just record over the bit we wanted, we improvise so we decided to overdub the entire song just in case something sweet ended up happening... now we need to remove a few bits of the overdubs that don't work (our fault!) to regain a bit of clarity here and there.

What would have liked more/less of?: We could have done with a couple of extra hours, but that's nothing to do with John - he was fast, efficient. We were slow, inefficient, and due to the nature of improvising, we recorded some stuff that we didn't want to be on the record. I'm a total novice when it comes to being in a proper studio, but I can't think of anything I would have wanted more or less of.

Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Totally: inside and out! I mean, I had to get up at 5:45am on the morning of my birthday, drive for 5 hours to Southend, be inside on a sunny day, then drive back, and I didn't begrudge it one bit!

Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Well, we travelled back down for the second day of recording, so obviously we were happy to return.... and I'd be happy to go again, and pay next time! Only problem for us is that it's a 5 hour drive away, so with fuel on top, it would probably end up slightly too expensive for our budgets i reckon. But if we lived closer, then yeah, I'd totally go back. Either way, definitely recommended to others.

Other comments: Good to record with someone that knew where we were coming from musically, even if he didn't know us beforehand. He had a quick listen to some single mic shoddy practice recordings I'd done, to give him an idea of what we sounded like, and he did a great job of keeping the lo-fi mess we make (I was worried recording properly might make us sound too clean), but somehow bringing out some crystal clear pop elements. So yeah, chuffed........... will report back when we get the full mixes!

it's not entertainment it's just distraction is a noun in the thesaurus synonym for entertainment, amusement and diversion. diversion from our lack of humanity it's not rock & roll, it's just plain rude

oh, and you can add to my comments bit that our drummer, Moz, has been doing PA work at gigs for years, as well as recording bands at Hall Place (including 'proper' major label bands), so he really knows what he is talking about when it comes to sound. He discussed stuff with John, and I think there was a good, constructive level of throwing ideas around and picking the best options in a short amount of time; Moz suggested stuff and John got it right quickly, and visa versa; John suggesting stuff to us.

it's not entertainment it's just distraction is a noun in the thesaurus synonym for entertainment, amusement and diversion. diversion from our lack of humanity it's not rock & roll, it's just plain rude

Big up John Hannon, his recording of Hey Colossus and Woe making a fucking massive racket (9 people in a live room all wailing away) was really great. All the other stuff I've heard out of there is good too (woe/ liberez/ james blackshaw/ lights! Alive!/ etc)

yes i would go with john hannon everytime. good relaxing place to record - sometimes a bit too relaxing as a lot of time there is spent just hanging out rather than recording!!! the results have always been top notch though, and it's great to have someone who has a grasp on what you're doing an able to record it well.

we recorded at ghosttown in leeds, they've stopped doing it now though

useless post really, sorry

this songs on the house,and this ones for you, i don't like the way you're treating me, I WANNA FIGHT.

Your Name: Pete
Band's Name: Omerta
Record(s) Name: 12", Split 7"
Recording Studio Name: The inner station (used to be city of dis)
Location?: Gillingham Kent
What rate did you pay?: 100 - 150 a day
Studio Engineer: Ben Phillips
Mix Engineer: Ben
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Fucking AWESOME. crunchy guitars, boomy drums
What would have liked more/less of?: more ben, less ryan
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: fuck yeah, balcony over the high street, sun, beers.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yep, totally, wouldnt go anywhere else
Other comments: Go there, hes a dude, it sounds awesome. He did NCF dungeoness, and thats one of my favourite albums. used to sing in the guilliamme seam etc etc etc, knows his stuff.

seriously worth it

Your Name: JOE

Band's Name: WE MOVE AS ONE

Record(s) Name: WE MOVE AS ONE

Recording Studio Name: ESCAPE ROUTE STUDIOS

Location?: GRAYS, ESSEX

What rate did you pay?: £250 FOR 2 DAYS

Studio Engineer: DAN ABEDLA

Mix Engineer: DAN ABEDLA

How would you describe the sound they gave you?: CRISP CRUNCHY GUITARS, CLICKY POWERFULL DRUMS AN OVERALL WALL OF NOISE.

What would have liked more/less of?: MORE DAYS TO RECORD WITH

Was the studio a comfortable environment?: YES

Would you/Have you used the studio since?:  YES

Other comments: WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ESCAPEROUTEPRODUCTIONS IS HIS MYSPACE, FOR A DEMO HE RECORDED WWW.MYSPACE.COM/WEMOVEASONE

we're going to record with down the river recording in leeds. its portable but the stuff i've heard that he's done sounds incredible. he recorded the humanfly LP, its sounds amazing.

this songs on the house,and this ones for you, i don't like the way you're treating me, I WANNA FIGHT.

84 (edited by Giles 05-10-2007 15:49:49)

ponte_ricky wrote:

we're going to record with down the river recording in leeds. its portable but the stuff i've heard that he's done sounds incredible. he recorded the humanfly LP, its sounds amazing.

Are you recording in your practice space then or what? Think we might be looking to record some stuff come December/January, with someone who knows what they're doing for once...

i imagine so, we're thinking of using the brudenell perhaps if the guy thinks its suitable

Your Name:Nick
Band's Name:Dreams Are Free, Motherfucker/Anxiety Attack (both recorded on numerous occasions there)
Record(s) Name:
Recording Studio Name: Stuck On A Name
Location?: Nottingham (when in Boultys house)
What rate did you pay?: £50 for recording plus a little more for hiring drum kit and cabs.......still very cheap though.
Studio Engineer: Boulty and Phil
Mix Engineer: Boulty and Phil
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Great! knew pleanty about the music anyway so knew what to do soundwise. Also asked us constantly what we wanted so we got exactly what we needed.
What would have liked more/less of?: Maybe a bit more snare, but that might have just been me not hitting it hard enough.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Definatly! A house environment is really confortable.......lots of brews! Very hot on the top floor in the summer though!
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yeah, as mentioned at the start, a few times with DAF,MF and again with Anxiety Attack.
Other comments: Since moved to a different location which I haven't used yet, but intend to soon.
Nice and friendly dudes, who know what they're doing, engineering wise, and music wise (they know about hardcore and thrash, so know how it "should" sound)

Your Name: Nick
Band's Name: Calculon
Record(s) Name: Split 7" with Magaret Thrasher
Recording Studio Name: Alex from Krupskyas
Location?: Stoke
What rate did you pay?: £100 for the day including use of guitar cab.
Studio Engineer: Alex
Mix Engineer: Alex (also mastered it)
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Brutal! Didn't really alter much that came through the amp as we intended to keep it sounding real anyway.
What would have liked more/less of?:
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Yeah, it wasn't too hot, pleanty of room to get around and good parking space too.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Will most likely use it agian with Calculon or other future projects
Other comments: Alex gave us some good ideas in the mixing stages (order of songs, and how to fit them together) which we really apreciated. Niether of us had much of a clue about recording so someones ideas are really apreciated.

Your Name: Barthur
Band's Name: The Afternoon Gentlemen
Record(s) Name: No MEssin About Style
Recording Studio Name: Birdshit Basement (our house) - instruments. Hessle Mount - Vocals
Location?: Woodhouse, Leeds
What rate did you pay?: Nothing
Studio Engineer: Elliot Smith
Mix Engineer: Michael Grogan (Oily Groico)
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Endearingly shoddy
What would have liked more/less of?: More takes, more messing about
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Yes, and convenient
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yes
Other comments: Sorry for wasting your time with this post. FYI, all 3 records were recorded there on a borrowed 16 track, our first two splits were mastered by Rob Hobson of EDT who challenged the theory that you can't polish a turd

Rob at Silent City is an amazing engineer/producer for anyone looking to spend a little more (he's not super expensive, but not cheap) and get real quality results.......

http://www.silent-city.co.uk/

the great thing is he charges per job, not by the hour.this usually means he will spend a lot of extra time fiddling/re-mixing which you will not pay any extra for.he's a perfectionist.
smile

Be A Dick

Your Name: Matt
Band's Name: After The Last Sky
Record(s) Name: 4-way split (w/from the ashes, lycanthrophy and Joe pesci) + "And This Is Progress?"
Recording Studio Name: Lizard Lounge
What rate did you pay?:100 per day
Studio Engineer:Alex
Mix Engineer:Alex
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Aggressive but clear sound, great instrument separation and all frequencies present.
What would have liked more/less of?:More time! as ever.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?:comfortable but basic, keeps you focussed on task in hand....
Would you/Have you used the studio since?:Definitely use it again!
Other comments: Alex works to your speed, he doesn't fuck about or find reasons why recording should take longer than it needs to but on the other hand he's brutally honest which means you cant make mistakes withpout him telling you" again!".... if you telll him what sound you want he gets it and all his gear is the right stuff for the job.

Q= How many punks does it take to change a lightbulb?
A= 20, 1 to hold the ladder, 1 to screw it in and 18 on the "guestlist"

90 (edited by Chris Cooter 31-10-2008 01:09:06)

NAME Chris
BAND Geoffrey Oi!cott
RECORD The Good The Bad and the Googly LP XFIST/BOSS TUNEAGE
STUDIO Mutiny
LOCATION Bradford
RATE Not sure but it was cheap as soggy chips
STUDIO ENGINEER Atco
MIX ENGINEER Atco
DESCRIBE THE SOUND Good in house gear, great authentic punk sound for our style. Everything was recorded clearly and the mix was a pleasure. We really wanted someone who'd have an idea what we wanted. Atco is one of the resident guys there, and we had a good chat with him before even a mic was plugged in. He knew almost exactly what we were aiming for, and even did guest vocals and made everything a lot of fun, whilst professional and getting the best out of us.  He was/is in Voorhees, Sex Maniacs and Gentlemans Pistols so he knows how all kinds of different styles basically sound. If you've any particular angle you wanna pursue, he's totally receptive, very creative individual.
MORE/LESS More songs, so we coulda done our Oimo concept LP!!!!
ENVIROMENT Basic, but loads of teas and coffees and a supermarket down the road.
USE AGAIN? We will be, spot on. New single and LP will be recorded there.
OTHER COMMENTS He'll make a £200 recording sound LP quality (if you work with him), no cheap demo sounding shennanigans here!!!

I'm not going to fill out this form again, just a quick one.

Stuck On A Name are DEAD GOOD!
They recorded all the Hail Brethren stuff and all the Hammers stuff and did a fantastic job with all of it!

They let you work at your own pace, and are very positive throughout the whole recording time.
It's only £130 for a day which is very cheap.

I must have recorded with them 6 or 7 times now and will go back again and again!

92 (edited by sugarandspite 31-01-2009 19:04:18)

Your Name: Ben Webb
Band's Name: We are Adam West
Record(s) Name: Self-Titled, untitled upcoming E.P.
Recording Studio Name: Basement of the Barriage Household?
Location?: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
What rate did you pay?: Free as he is our drummer. But generally it's $10-$20 a song, although he's very flexible.
Studio Engineer: Todd Barriage
Mix Engineer: Todd Barriage
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: sounds for more professional than it really is.
What would have liked more/less of?:
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Like being home.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Have, and will continue to do so.
Other comments: Flexible pricing, a knowledgeable engineer. Pretty sweet deals.

Record(s) Name:lazarus blackstar,discharge,volition,warprayer,gurkha,geriatric unit,threads,after the massacre,corvus,jinn,the horror,the process
Recording Studio Name: 1in12 club studio www.myspace.com/studio1in12
Location?:bradford
What rate did you pay?: 15 clams an hour recording, 3 clams an hour for practice
Studio Engineer: Brian Talbot
Mix Engineer: Bri again if done there or do it with him i guess
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: sweet as fuck
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: there is a settee, heater,kettle,fridge
Would you/Have you used the studio since?:yes/yes
Other comments:to use the studio for recording or just the space for practice you have to be a member,
Bri Doom does the recording he knows his heavy

94 (edited by Paul_Caruso 29-05-2009 12:47:14)

I don't know if this is appropriate but I'm a freelance recording engineer (London) that's looking to record more aggressive music than the day job permits...

By day (and usually by night) I have recorded Sugababes, Leon from X-Factor, Starsailor, Just Jack but I'm looking to do some more independent stuff to keep me interested.

The plan is to take advantage of downtime in studios I work in that would normally be 4-5x the price and come out with a great record. Can record to 24 track tape or Pro Tools, preferably cut the basics to tape - dump them into Pro Tools and work from there, saving you hundreds of £ on tape but by all means if you've got it flaunt it.

Studios:
http://www.miloco.co.uk/studios/sofasound.php
http://www.kore-studios.com/
http://www.longislandstudios.com/mainpage.html

Listen to:

Dance Dealer by K+U+R+T+Z -  http://www.myspace.com/wearekurtz
Prairie Falcons Wheel and Swoop - http://offmodern.com/news/index.php/music/

For a disgustingly commercial but massively polished sound check out:
Light the Blue Touch Paper & Listen Girl by The Shivers - http://www.myspace.com/welovetheshivers

I'll post up some more tracks shortly but this is reminding me that most independent bands I record split up immediately after I record them and no one ever hears it. If you could not do that, that would be great.

Would love to do something massive, raw and Converge sounding but hit me up with whatever you are.

al at tapeop dot com

Question. How does someone like Leon maintain the total personality Black Hole that he appears to be without collapsing his immediate surrounding into some sort of temporal time space nightmare nd sucking them into oblivion?

Someone horrible sounding should do shit with this guy. That's how "I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos" was birthed. And you could stick a label on the album Claiming Lineage to the Sugarbabes. GOLD right there.

I'm in!

97 (edited by dkeshiki 13-11-2009 12:17:56)

Record(s) Name: Etai Keshiki
Recording Studio Name: Leeds College Of Music
Location?: Leeds
What rate did you pay?: Totally free.
Studio Engineer: Matt, James, and Andy. www.myspace.com/burleybasementrecordings
Mix Engineer: As above.
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Live and loud like we asked for, but nice mics and amps and recorded in Pro Tools. No overdubs or Pink Floyd shit. Havent heard the mixes yet though.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Pretty much. Band in the live room, desk on the other side. Simple lay out. Also they had a special little room for my guitar amp.
What would you have like more/less of?: More ability to hear the vocals while playing, less illness making it hard to sing.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?:yes/not yet
Other comments: These kids are just music tech students and I fully recommend contacting them. They are setting up a studio in their basement but we recorded in the LCM's studio so we could do everything live. We did 9 songs in about 4 hours. They have amps and drums at the college. If youre in Leeds and you want a free recording you could do much worse than these kids.

Your Name: Thomas P O'Brien
Band's Name: Ocksen
Record(s) Name: European Fastness Comp w/ afternoon gentlemen, a den of robbers, albach, xaros
Recording Studio Name: Alex from Krupskyas
What rate did you pay?: £100 a day, plus use of this and that
Studio Engineer: Alex
Mix Engineer: Alex (also mastered it)
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Great, recorded live and came out that way. Fairly organic.
What would have liked more/less of?: Probably more of a chaotic sound a la opstand but thats more down to us.
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: Good, a lot of space outside of the actual recording room to get out of each others faces, alex adds a really laid back feel to the place.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: will do.
Other comments: Alex was very patient and laid back, listened to xentrix and also let us kip at his house. Nice guy.

"Back when I was a teenager, just starting to think for myself, I came up with a very basic formulation. I decided that when anyone says, You're either for us or against us, you HAD to be against them. Because only moral simpletons and outright conniving rogues see, or even claim to see, the world in such preposterously black and white terms."

Peteomerta wrote:

Your Name: Pete
Band's Name: Omerta
Record(s) Name: 12", Split 7"
Recording Studio Name: The inner station (used to be city of dis)
Location?: Gillingham Kent
What rate did you pay?: 100 - 150 a day
Studio Engineer: Ben Phillips
Mix Engineer: Ben
How would you describe the sound they gave you?: Fucking AWESOME. crunchy guitars, boomy drums
What would have liked more/less of?: more ben, less ryan
Was the studio a comfortable environment?: fuck yeah, balcony over the high street, sun, beers.
Would you/Have you used the studio since?: Yep, totally, wouldnt go anywhere else
Other comments: Go there, hes a dude, it sounds awesome. He did NCF dungeoness, and thats one of my favourite albums. used to sing in the guilliamme seam etc etc etc, knows his stuff.

seriously worth it

Is Ben currently still doing his studio thing? I cant find trace of hm anywhere on line?

We did this a long time ago, let's do it again, but in a more informal manner.

Who recorded, mixed, mastered your band or label releases? experiences? links and email contact?

If possible please do link to the end result, either to buy, stream or download, this is important so bands can see if the studio has worked with stuff similar to what they want to achieve.