Re: lets talk about shoegaze/dream pop

everyone seems to hate this band right now, not DIY enough or some bullshit, but i love them. i guess this song is shoegazey. video is fucked up though

back to back nudey vids. omg.

yuck are in the bbc "OMG TOP 15 BANDS OF 2011" list. which is very peculiar. fat possum is a good label.

Andy Malcolm wrote:

if you're happy with checking out a newer band joe, try no joy (not safe for work!)

this is fucking great!

Andy Malcolm wrote:

yuck are in the bbc "OMG TOP 15 BANDS OF 2011" list. which is very peculiar.

THAT would be why the punx don't like them then. can't wait for the album, they have so many great pop songs

you can't have a Dream Pop thread without this:

i dug this out of the crates for the first time in ages the other day. I really like this song.

the sugacubes(bjork) - birthday

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

folk from sleep over:

http://boyfriendmusic.bandcamp.com/

tasty.

i bought a compilation tape from a chazza shop the other da called "independant20". A 20 track comp featuring uk "indie" artists from 1991(theres even a leatherface track on it).

This song by th' faith healers is probably my favorite as id never heard of them before. Some decent noisy shoegaze type jams. The more i listen to them the harder im finding it to put um into a genre. Theyre not bad,not bad at all. Anyone know much about them?

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

I saw th' faith healers once. Can't remember too much about it though. I definitely have/had a couple of records of theirs, but again, they are distant in the recesses of my crunchy mind. I probably need to revisit them soon. Maybe.

wow, ace thread! more 'obscure'/'lost' 90's recommendations please.
my shoegaze highlights:

Pale Saints - first two albums, criminally underrated
Revolver - Cold water flat - almost pop
Th Faith Healers - everything, but especially the Lido LP
Slowdive - everything, but especially the s/t EP and Pygmallion album - ultra minimalist
Loop - A gilded eternity - most consistent/least Spacemen indebted album
The Telescopes - Taste - average band but great record, total Marychain worship
Brain Jonestown Massacre - methadrone, already mentioned, amazing album and
my bloody underground is also very psyche/shoegazey and ace
Bowery Electric - everything, though the later stuff has more breakbeat/triphop leanings
Chapterhouse - first two EPs, like a more garagey MBV but their later stuff was awful
Dark Star - 20/20 sound and Zurich - ace post-Levitation band
Verve - Storm in heaven - I would argue is a classic shoegaze era record too

more please!

Be A Dick

Th Faith Healers are awesome, I hoard all their stuff!
Strong Peel favourite - their posthumous release was a Peel sessions collection featuring unreleased tracks, came out just a couple of years back. They also did a one off comeback gig in London, my old housemate went but I missed it - was ace apparently. They were on Too Pure records and put out a string of singles/Eps (debut ep, Abba covers 7'', Mr Litanski Ep, In Love Ep, A Picture of health EP) and two full lengths Lido and Imaginary Friend, plus the collection Cds 'L' (singles comp) and Jesus Freak (demos/rarities). Their early stuff is pretty spazzy and raucous but they soon settled down into a weird but coherent mixture of garage pop, shoegaze, grunge and kraut rock-style repetition (check their wicked cover of Mother Sky by Can a la Loop). At the time the NME described them as 'baggy metal' or 'Camden lurch' haha. Part of their charm definitely lies with the genius of Darryl Cullinan with his bizarre fried guitar tone, contrasting simple minimal repetition with frenzied noise freakouts.  If anyone wants any of their stuff uploading/copying give me a shout!

Be A Dick

Moose - Sonny & Sam lp. (Suzanne is a bloody good tune).
First two Boo Radleys lps.

Tape Deck Mountain - Secret Serf EP is good

MP3 here: http://mp3.imposemagazine.com/Tape-Deck … s-Down.mp3

64 (edited by davidd 04-02-2011 02:19:16)

Not a genre that I'm up on really but I'm enjoying listening to this:

a thug changes and love changes and best friends become strangers word up

Apparently Sleep Over are doing an LP for Hippos In Tanks.

66 (edited by AlexN 09-02-2011 19:15:11)

Blouse:

http://bbblouse.bandcamp.com/

some pop Shoegaze is good, some is awful, this is good:

Andy Malcolm wrote:

pale saints¿

First album and some of the 4AD eps are really great stuff but they went pretty shit like a lot of these bands. Infact the first album is probably my favourite Shoegaze album which isn't by Slowdive.

Ringo Deathstarr were great tonight supporting Dean Wareham. total and utter MBV rip-offs, but they do it really well. the guy said their debut album is out tomorrow, so i'm going to have to check it out. they had a 2nd guitarist last time i saw them, but still managed to sound pretty big

the drummer in football etc used to be in that band.

that'd explain why the current drummer looks about 15 years older than the other 2 in the band

MattBenn wrote:

Ringo Deathstarr were great tonight supporting Dean Wareham. total and utter MBV rip-offs, but they do it really well. the guy said their debut album is out tomorrow, so i'm going to have to check it out. they had a 2nd guitarist last time i saw them, but still managed to sound pretty big

Beat me to it.

Just listening to the album on spotify now. It's nice... very nice at times. But embarrassingly similar to MBV at all times.

I often mistake Neil Diamond for some okra

yeah, it's ridiculous. more like Ectasy and Wine and You Made Me Realise EPs than the wierdness of Loveless though

You can preoreder a new SLEEP ? OVER 7"

http://hipposintanks.bigcartel.com/prod … over-ltd-7

So Still Corners have signed to Sub Pop!

http://stillcorners.bandcamp.com/