Topic: afghan whigs

don't seem to have a thread about these cats, i fucking love them, so grim and dirty. gentlemen and black love are completely unfuckwithable, did some great covers too..any fans?

I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

Re: afghan whigs

Yes. although I backwarded into them long after the fact after hearing the Duli/Lanegan record.

guttertwins is solid too i reckon, dudes done a lot of collaborative stuff over the years, first twilight singers record is a great example, different musically but a similar vibe....

Black Love is a pretty fucking sexy LP.

www.crushingdeath.com - gigs in Cambridge

~~ 2nd Jul - 75 Dollar Bill ~~
~~ 26th July - Woven Skull ~~

Kind of silly. Could be that covers were their real strength.

weird, i was listening to them yesterday and thought about making a thread too! yeh, getting into them very late but jamming 1965 a lot and like it muchly. so sleazy, in a really good way.

We're going to party, karamu, fiesta, forever.

List/Listless: http://listless1.bandcamp.com

i love them. had a resurgence late last year and listened to them a lot.

One of those weird bands that you kinda know shouldn't work but somehow do nonetheless. I listened to them a lot when I was younger and got back into them a year or so ago when I picked up a cheapo vinyl copy of Black Love. So seedy.

I also used to listen to them back in the day.  Very patchy though.  Some great songs, some total stinkers.

I'm grabbin' a routine vaccination

Love them.  I've found over the years in in the minority as I prefer 1965 to Black Love (of the major label albums), both are great but the first half of 1965 is untouchable.  Love the earlier stuff too, Gentlemen is epic (the bonus 12" of the peel session that comes with it deserves a mention).  Twighlight Singers have a few good songs but none of the albums blows me away (ditto Gutter Twins), however I saw them live and they encored with basically all of Black Love so i'm sold!  Also, theres a few Greg Dulli solo things knocking about, Amber Headlights is the missing link between the Whigs and Twighlight Singers, worth a listen.

Can you really be sure of the goddamn time of day?

gentlemen and congregation are brilliant.  love this band.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I once considered them to be among the Top 5 bands of all-time.

I don't mean this in a condescending way toward the band and/or their fans, but they definitely were a perfect soundtrack to my late high school / early college years, but much less so now.

Shorter wrote:

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I once considered them to be among the Top 5 bands of all-time.

I don't mean this in a condescending way toward the band and/or their fans, but they definitely were a perfect soundtrack to my late high school / early college years, but much less so now.

for me it's probably the opposite, i get much more what he's on about now i'm older and have been around a bit

apparently black love is based around a screenplay he wrote but never finished, would be interested to check it...

How big were they in the UK when they were around ?

not huge or anything i don't think beyond being on sub pop once and mates with dave grohl and that. don't think they had any 'hits'...

Gerard Way reckons that the Afghan Wigs are one of My Chemical Romance's biggest influences. Ha! I really like The Twilight Singers, but haven't heard much Afghan Wigs. Where's good to start?

Putting the chat amongst the pigeons.

'gentlemen' seems to be regarded as thier peak i think

xdamienx wrote:

'gentlemen' seems to be regarded as thier peak i think

On it!

Putting the chat amongst the pigeons.

i saw them at reading or pheonix on the main stage half way through the day.  dont really know how that translates to how big they were but i'd've thought they mustve been pretty popular for that.

this thread has caused a seriously big whigs kick on my mp3 player this week.

xmilox wrote:

Twighlight Singers have a few good songs but none of the albums blows me away

same here but the new album is really good.

fuck yas all, first twlight singers album is flawless

black love on now, still amazing, would love to see it played start to finish sometime....

Did you see they did a 33 1/3  about Gentlemen? Wouldn't mind a swatch at that.
http://www.amazon.com/Gentlemen-33-1-Bo … 0826429106

yeah, have that somewhere! worth a butchers

"Uptown Again" is a tune beyond tunes.

I was trying to think of other bands somewhat comparable to AWs. The best I could come up with was Aerosmith! Anyone do any better?

We're going to party, karamu, fiesta, forever.

List/Listless: http://listless1.bandcamp.com