Topic: London

Sorry if this is an obvious one, but I am moving to London this weekend and would like to know, in what seems a neverending selection of things to do, what to do?

Cheap, veggie, fun, free, all will do. I will be based in east London.

Cheers

Re: London

Here are some gigs that are coming up:

7/11 - Diet Pills / Man Hands / FTS @ Bird's Nest, Deptford
11/11 - Warning Warning / Contort / The Good Wife / Woolf / No Fit State @ TBC
13/11 - Smiler / Plague Sermon / Hovadah / Lowest Form @ Bird's Nest, Deptford
24/11 - Attack Vipers / Art Of Burning Water / It Often Takes A War @ The Unicorn
27/11 - Starve / Surgery Without Research / Saturday's Kids @ Bird's Nest, Deptford

and a whole bunch more no doubt.

anything more?

4 (edited by AlexN 22-11-2010 12:19:04)

Off the top of my head.

Cave and La Sera are playing tonight...

Erm.. Beach Fossils and Emeralds instores at Rough Trade coming up.

Tim Hecker, Family Battle Snake and Rameses III on December 1st at the Luminaire.

Black Dice and Growing at the Dome on December 2nd

OTObahn at Cafe Oto on Thursday looks good.

http://www.bigtakeover.co.uk/

Nous ne voulons pas d'un monde ou la certitude je suis un pomme de terre de ne pas mourir de faim s'echange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui
T-I-M

if, hypothetically, someone was to work in ealing (right near ealing broadway tube) where would be a good part of London to live? ideally no more than a 40 minute train/tube ride or 20 min cycle.... assuming a decent-ish (but not extravagant) budget.

hypothetically, of course.

settle down

poss brentford although its not really a "nice" place. Chiswick/kew are quite close but i imagine its quite expensive around those places. Ealing itself actually isnt that bad, if you dont mind having no decent shops or pubs around the corner.

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

hmmm i was thinking richmond/wimbledon isn't too far away. or is that waaaaay expensive, even for a shared house/flat? gettign ahead of myself anyway, just something to think about!

settle down

wimbledon is a little further out. i think youd be lucky to get a place in richmond without spending at least 600/700 a month in a shared place, there is probably cheaper but not from what ive seen.
kingston is just past richmond and is quite a lot cheaper. would be a longer ride for sure but you could still commute on the train pretty easily. otherwise getting closer to london you might find something in shepards bush thats not quite as expensive as richmond

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

Couple of things coming up that i'm interested in. Are you?

Oneohtrix Point Never + Games + oOoOO (DJ) + Casper C
Saturday 9 April, Queen Elizabeth Hall Front Room
Tickets: £12.00, Doors 10pm

BleeD at XOYO features JOHN ROBERTS, DEMDIKE STARE and RAIME. FRIDAY FEBRUARY 18th

Barn Owl & Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - London show announced! Get your tickets now! http://bit.ly/faEhId

Some great stuff at Oto as well....

11 (edited by AlexN 16-02-2011 14:13:07)

Pretty great early line up for Field Day on 6th August this year considering it's complete shit most of the time:

Electrelane
Ariel Pink
Jamie Woon
Actress
Gruff Rhys
Matthew Dear
Oneohtrix Point Never
Wild Beasts
Hype Williams
The Horrors
Ducktails
Omar Souleyman
John Cale
Factory Floor
Twin Shadow
Tortoise
Konono N°1
The Coral
Pearson Sound
Mount Kimbie
Roska
Willy Mason
thecocknbullkid
Sun Ra Arkestra
Trophy Wife

12 (edited by AlexN 16-02-2011 14:19:22)

Oh and Emeralds are playing on May 21st.

And Ryoji Ikeda at the Barbican on 18th April:  http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event- … p?ID=11511

Julian Lynch and Big Troubles and Ducktails: http://www.wegottickets.com/event/109859

Here's what I've got written down, incluing AlexN's ones, anything I forgot?

20/2 - Lich, Stab, Let It Die @ Bird's Nest, 2pm
20/2 - Sauna Youth, Bird Calls, Saturday's Kids, The Love Triangle, Good Throb + more @ Ryan's Bar
22/2 - Domestic Blitz, Good Throb @ The Alibi
23/2 - Cider, Closure, Tremors, Stab @ The Grosvenor
6/3 - Helm, Nacht Und Nebel, Orgone Accumulators @ Bird's Nest, 3pm
1/4 - Atentado, Stab, Lowest Form @ The Grosvenor
9/4 - Oneohtrix Point Never, Games, oOoOO (DJ), Casper C @ QE Hall
12/4 - Earth @ Scala
12/4 - Rotten Sound @ Underworld
13/4 - Year Of No Light, Aluk Todolo @ Borderline
13/4 - Today Is The Day @ Underworld
18/4 - Ryoji Ikeda @ Barbican
21/4 - Keelhaul, Knut @ Underworld
26/4 - Barn Owl @ ?
21/5 - Emeralds

15 (edited by AlexN 19-02-2011 13:18:47)

Emeralds are playing at The Village Underground btw. They're doing a tour I think, definitely playing Hare and Hounds in Birmingham on the 22nd.

And Barn Owl's at Camp.

Looking forward to Earth. You heard the new album Kunal?

24/03 Arbouretum at the Borderline
15/04 Skullflower + Werewolf Jerusalem at the Grosvenor
22/4 Daniel Higgs and chums at Cafe Oto

30/4 - forgetters and red dons at the lexington

AlexN - I haven't heard the new Earth, or the one before it actually! I've seen them a few times already, maybe I'll see Rotten Sound instead, or not since there seems to be bloody loads happening at the same time.
Red Dons and Higgs will be good. Skullflower were hellish when I saw them, but maybe that's the point.

June 3rd - Low @ Barbican

June 21st - Drainland, Veloz, Lich, State Icons - at a venue that i really should book

15/03 - Tyvek at the Grosvenor
26/06 - Eyehategod at the Underworld

yo lundun.. any uber radical crOOshul shit going on this weekend? okay not crOOsh but anything exciting diy events wise, not just gigs, although if there's anything 'mazin of note.. asking on behalf of my austrian friend who's visiting just for the weekend who would like to experience the more underground delights of city. owt going on at ratstar? otherwise i'm just directing her to that info shop and rock steady eddies..

23 (edited by AlexN 03-03-2011 23:02:39)

9/04 - Gang Gang Dance @ Village Underground
8/05 - Stephan Mathieu, BJ Nilsen and Tsü @ Cafe Oto

ratstar is doing a benefit dubstep night this evening and the dewdrop has the fight playing tomorrow night. i guess 56a will help you out if you need addresses.

March 22nd - Ulver @ Koko