Topic: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Hey we want to do a 12" short run vinyl release, just not sure who to use...

One thing I am sure of is we wont be using GZ! Altho im sure a porno label would shift haha.


I checked out a few and Only-Vinyl (London) and Mobineko (Far East & Germany) stood out. Has anybody used them?

Here is the quotes I got...
Mobineko      12" Full colr lbl, only inner sleeve, inc Metal work, VAT and del  250 £582  or 500 £810
Only-Vinyl      12" 1 colr lbl, only inner sleeve, inc Metal work, VAT and del     250 £431  or 500 £633


Neither quotes include test pressings or mastering... too risky???

My Life is Music.

Take Music away from me and I will Take Your Life.

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

check out phonopress (discoelite)
http://www.phonopress.it/en/products

they gave me a really good quote for 200 12"s

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

TelABadManWot wrote:

Hey we want to do a 12" short run vinyl release, just not sure who to use...

One thing I am sure of is we wont be using GZ! Altho im sure a porno label would shift haha.


I checked out a few and Only-Vinyl (London) and Mobineko (Far East & Germany) stood out. Has anybody used them?

Here is the quotes I got...
Mobineko      12" Full colr lbl, only inner sleeve, inc Metal work, VAT and del  250 £582  or 500 £810
Only-Vinyl      12" 1 colr lbl, only inner sleeve, inc Metal work, VAT and del     250 £431  or 500 £633


Neither quotes include test pressings or mastering... too risky???


Just to be clear you HAVE to master a vinyl record otherwise is doesn't physically exist, you don't have to pre-master digitally or get a proper vinyl master cut, but it's advisable.

If you are not getting it mastered to lacquer by a mastering house, it's worth getting the TPs, it's a really small amount of money to put in to avoid a lifetime of thinking your thousand pounds to press the record went down the drain..

Have a look in the DIY Recording section, there is a video about how vinyl is made.

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

is "cutting and galvanics" the same thing as "metal work" ?

and joe, is "mastering to lacquer" the job that you do?

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Kourosh wrote:

is "cutting and galvanics" the same thing as "metal work" ?

and joe, is "mastering to lacquer" the job that you do?

Hey,

I don't master lacquers, it's kind of a specialist mastering area these days as 90% of music won't ever see vinyl. What I can do is provide a digital master that can be cut at the plant, which isn't ideal for maximum fidelity, but it's actually anywhere near the budgets of most CZ DIY labels.

I'm not sure who in the UK really cuts more DIY/weirder stuff, I wish there was a "go to guy", there seems to be for ever denomination of techno, but not one I know of who is respected for cutting punk/hc/etc.

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

No, I don't know anyone either.  Most DIY stuff gets pressed by GZ/Mobineko anyway, right?  It's all in house and noone really cares.

Paging Daniel Skevington.

DIY minded recording in Leeds: www.suburbanhome.co.uk

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Cheers Joe, you're a dream.

I'm getting test presses back from phonopress (discoelite) in about a week. Unless they run away with our money.
£500 for 200 black 12"s (no sleeves)
Not bad at all, if it all works out okay.

Will report back with good news, i hope.

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Kourosh wrote:

I'm getting test presses back from phonopress (discoelite) in about a week. Unless they run away with our money.
£500 for 200 black 12"s (no sleeves)
Not bad at all, if it all works out okay.

Will report back with good news, i hope.


I hope all works out ok.

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

shit, me too.

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Kourosh-

any update on those test pressings and the final run with discoelite?


Anybody had any experience with
www.discmanufacturingservices.com
??

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Kourosh wrote:

Cheers Joe, you're a dream.

I'm getting test presses back from phonopress (discoelite) in about a week. Unless they run away with our money.
£500 for 200 black 12"s (no sleeves)
Not bad at all, if it all works out okay.

Will report back with good news, i hope.

Is that 500 all in mate? I.e. shipping, run over, VAT ?

12

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Does anybody get lacquers cut beforehand? Or I guess more specifically, does anyone on a "small" / DIY level do it?

It's way cheaper to just get stuff mastered by someone like Joemo, isn't it?

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Joe C wrote:
Kourosh wrote:

Cheers Joe, you're a dream.

I'm getting test presses back from phonopress (discoelite) in about a week. Unless they run away with our money.
£500 for 200 black 12"s (no sleeves)
Not bad at all, if it all works out okay.

Will report back with good news, i hope.

Is that 500 all in mate? I.e. shipping, run over, VAT ?

Yes, all in.

After sending the mastered tracks and 300quid, it took them one week to send us the test presses.  They are all fine (all 10 of them).  A week after that and all our records were ready to ship.  The only reason why we havent recieved them yet was we weren't prepared to pay the money so soon! I'm going to pay them tomorrow actually.

So that's pretty much a 3 week turn around, tops.  And assuming that the records we recieve match the quality of the TP's, we're very happy indeed.  It means that the entire cost of this release is about 650 quid, for 200 copies.  (digital mastering, the whole pressing, artwork and plastic sleeves). No other costs whatsoever. punk.

so as you can see, I can definitely recommend Phonopress.

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Active Rebellion wrote:

Kourosh-

any update on those test pressings and the final run with discoelite?


Anybody had any experience with
www.discmanufacturingservices.com
??

see above!
my mate should recieve all the records in about 5 days and i'll let you know what theyre like!

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Active Rebellion wrote:

Kourosh-

any update on those test pressings and the final run with discoelite?


Anybody had any experience with
www.discmanufacturingservices.com
??

I've used them a couple of times, generally good in my experience.

Re: Short Run Vinyl Pressing

Thanks