Re: Where should I start with Jawbreaker?

Mr Slobo wrote:

Scandinavian Jawbreaker LP is a good place to start

Ahh, such a crap LP. Only great up to the self-titled 12", then they went to shit.

adamski wrote:
Mr Slobo wrote:

Scandinavian Jawbreaker LP is a good place to start

Ahh, such a crap LP. Only great up to the self-titled 12", then they went to shit.

you sir is a liar, thats a great album with a number of strong dancefloor hits like braincell battle, dogfight, nailbiter etc.

granted, it ain't victims of a bombraid nor raped ass, but it's hardly grave new world now is it?

let's talk about Anti Cimex somewhere else perhaps?

Och Joe, you know all threads end up getting derailed somewhere down the line! wink

LOL.

For years I had heard people talk about the band Jawbreaker, then the internet came along and one of the things I downloaded in that first year or two of "unlimited access to mp3s of every music recorded anywhere" was 3 x Jawbreaker albums. I was incredibly disappointed.

Mr Slobo u r so obscure.

You don't remember me...........do you.

cutting edge like

Andy Malcolm wrote:
constant wrote:

24 hour is the records BUT bivouac is incredibly good!

it is very very catchy but the songs are a bit buried. the sound is a bit grungy and hides the poppiness

guess i will try again!

did you give it a go ?

nah, it wasn't on spotify and i forgot to dig out the lp.

35 (edited by wallyofdoom 20-12-2012 11:46:06)

way into the bivouac lp version. not a big fan of the chesterfield king ep (aside from chesterfield king) , so with those songs gone i really like the lp a lot! also the forgetters lp grew on me quite a bit!

this video

I think Jawbreaker are one of those bands who have a handful of great songs on each album, but not enough to warrant me spending the money on any particular LP apart from maybe Unfun.

Greenie. wrote:

I think Jawbreaker are one of those bands who have a handful of great songs on each album, but not enough to warrant me spending the money on any particular LP apart from maybe Unfun.

NO.

You see, I'm in the "Jawbreaker are defo an album band" camp and dont like Unfun. Greenie we can't be friends anymore mate.

See you later

Dear You is the pinnacle of Blake's songwriting, in my opinion. It's more polished than the rest, but that seems to be taken negatively for some reason. To me, it just sounds right. The rhythm section is punchy, the guitars sound big and the vocals are just right. Blake isn't really a good vocalist, but I think he's at his best when he's somewhere between a soft singing and that gruff yell he does on the earlier stuff. Dear You just nails it, and his vocals are less gravelly, and more like a strained Frankie Stubbs sort of throat-scrape. I like 24hour Revenge Therapy too, but I sometimes wish the drums didn't sound so clunky and the guitars were bit more prominent. I also can't stand Boxcar, because a) I heard the godawful Ataris cover first and b) it's really shite, so Dear You shades it.

Jets To Brazil get some slagging too. I quite like them, if you can get past that it sounds nothing like Jawbreaker. Blake is good songwriter, and Orange Rhyming Dictionary is a very enjoyable indie rock record. Looking it up just now, I discovered it was produced by J Robbins. Knowledge!

all i know is that i dunno nuthin

Unfun is bloody great

I listened to Unfun and 24HRT back to back the other day to check that I wasn't just fabricating opinions again, but nope, reaffirmed that I much prefer Unfun.

We're going to party, karamu, fiesta, forever.

List/Listless: http://listless1.bandcamp.com

just recieved the chesterfield king lp for £8 delivered off these dudes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHESTERFIELD- … _416wt_960

cold beer in my mouth and tears in my eyes

Thanks!

http://pitchfork.com/news/72987-jawbrea … fest-2017/

Please read and share oureoin.com ,thank you.

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

Major Wants : To The Point "mentally checked out' 7"
the Death Dust Extractor 12" & Crisis 7"s at punk prices...
and I do a weird record label http://tadpolerecords.blogspot.co.uk/

http://pitchfork.com/features/article/1 … e-therapy/

Please read and share oureoin.com ,thank you.

50 (edited by MC_awesome 03-05-2017 16:58:09)

Listen to any of them because they are all different yet all good in different ways. I discovered them backwards after I found the Dear You CD second hand in 1999ish.

Dear You: Amazing songs, I listened to it constantly when I got it, but it is clearly different from the rest due to the slick production making it sound like an indie band more than anything else. After I heard the rest I pretty much stopped listening to it, but it is stilla stellar release.

24H: I want to be original but really this remains my favorite release from them for many reasons. It has pretty much everything on it, both happy songs and sad songs, it is varied, has this intense build-ups and breakdowns, and then there are the lyrics. Coincidentally I still only have the CD version. I also think the cover / concept is great.

Bivouac: A friend burned me a CD that he had downloaded off some ftp server back when DSL was still new, and sent it via mail. I don't know why this album is so unpopular, this is probably my second favorite of theirs and like a darker / more complex version of 24H. I am used to the CD (R) version so when I finally bought the LP and the Chesterfield King 12" I found it a bit weird. It might be borderline-grunge but there's plenty of great emotional punk rock on it. My friend adding "kiss the bottle", "Sea Foam green" and "Gutless" at the end of the CDR was a good idea too.

Unfun: The last one I heard and one of the first things I downloaded on soulseek when I finally got DSL at home. As great as it is, I still don't find it on par with the following two releases. At first it sounded more like a happy pop-punk release to me, and it took me years to figure out it wasn't. It is already Jawbreaker, all these songs are excellent, but I think they developped their sound better afterwards.