Topic: bandcamp vs soundcloud

my slightly facetious and not particular considered opinion is that:

pretentious bands use soundcloud
bands that just get on with it use bandcamp

is that about right?

Re: bandcamp vs soundcloud

bandcamps encoding sounds better for most music in my experience. the interface is also loads better and makes it feel like "a record"

i totally agree on that side of things, but i was going from a less technical point of view smile

I think Soundcloud is probably a lot better for "networking" with other bands, labels etc. but not so much for DIY bands, it's good for electronic music though.

I like that bandcamp gives your stats on amount of plays/downloads and where people have linked from for free.   apparently you have to pay for that on soundcloud.
Soundcloud does seem better for the networking thing and is also seemingly much more popular with electronic artists, which I vaguely think might just be because it hasn't got the word 'band' in it's title.

this is an observation not based on stats, but when we get sent stuff for review, bands that are trying to "make it" invariably seem to not use bandcamp.

Joe C wrote:

bandcamps encoding sounds better for most music in my experience

on this note: as an audio nerd joe, is there any particular reason why electronic artists use soundcloud beyond the fact that it's just seen as the de facto thing to do? because i notice you use the qualifier 'most music' as opposed to 'all music' so i'm curious now

Pseudo Colonial Pineapple Tour, 2011

Pags wrote:
Joe C wrote:

bandcamps encoding sounds better for most music in my experience

on this note: as an audio nerd joe, is there any particular reason why electronic artists use soundcloud beyond the fact that it's just seen as the de facto thing to do? because i notice you use the qualifier 'most music' as opposed to 'all music' so i'm curious now

I think its the emphasis on songs rather than records to be honest, and the option to feedback on them!

I like the simpler appearance of bandcamp

soundcloud has a volume control

so do most computers

I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

have to hold the function button on mine
(my band uses both sites, we're both pretentious and get on with it)

soundcloud looks to techy for me. even if it isn't.

I've never really thought of them as being rivals.  My band has both and we use them for different purposes.

Soundcloud to network, put up demos and post on facebook.  Bandcamp to release and sell finished material and show artwork.

General Disdain wrote:

I've never really thought of them as being rivals.  My band has both and we use them for different purposes.

Soundcloud to network, put up demos and post on facebook.  Bandcamp to release and sell finished material and show artwork.

that seems like a good approach to me.

At Home wrote:
General Disdain wrote:

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

xxx

General Disdain wrote:
At Home wrote:
General Disdain wrote:

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

xxx

maybe you should train for your pilots license.

soundcloud has it's uses but bandcamp is far, far superior

I use both but if anyone wants to stream our records I'll send them to bandcamp every time. I'd rather listen to an album there anyway. As someone else mentioned, it's more "self-contained".

Soundcloud has an API that allows you to stream music from their site to anywhere. I don't *think* bandcamp currently does. Basically this means I can stream music on the Bombed Out site without having to worry about using too much space/bandwidth on my hosting server. There's basically more you can do with it.

bandcmap does have small widgets you can put on oany other site. don't think they've got one quite as small as the smallest soundcloud one but still quite discrete

i think steve is talking about writing your own code that streams the songs rather than being forced to use the widget.

Indeed. The music player on the bombedout.com homepage used to stream the files from my local site - now the entire playlist is in Soundcloud I can add/remove songs from it with ease whereas before I was modifying XML files.

Can't do that with bandcamp.

Not that this kind of shits helps me sell more records - it just makes me happy as a web design geek. :-)

Bandcamp is great for releasing music as a package, and for listeners to listen to and/or download an entire record, with an option to buy physical formats too. It downloads it in a neat and tidy directory, all tagged correctly with artwork. It's wonderful.

Soundcloud is great for individual tracks as a sample to a full release, or demos and ideas, as it presents individual songs much better than Bandcamp does, I think. Everything you upload on Bandcamp seems to want you to put it as part of a full release, so Soundcloud is a bit better for the usual "we recorded this in our practice space, giz a listen?" or "we're going on a compilation. he's our jam for it, giz a listen?". It's improved as a format for full releases, but I just think Bandcamp presents that side of things alot better. I think Soundcloud offers what Myspace band pages used to offer, with less popularity contest bullshit, but with more focus on good quality playback.

Both are very good, and both are much much better than Facebook band pages, which are just a mess.

Guess there may be some on here that sniff at the non-physical form of the medium full stop, but was mulling this over in my head earlier today - and be interested to know the thoughts of the czine demographic on these two seemingly competing 'DIY' download platforms

Bandcamp I get totally, and consume a hell of a lot of material this way. Piss simple navigation, seamless run through to paypal, funds evidently go straight to the artist personally with only, I guess, a levy by the administrators to keep the site going (as there is minimal if any advertising). What's not to love?

Really not sure about Soundcloud though.

Landing page (when I visited) featured scrolling professionally-shot vignettes of smugly cool hipsters posing in studio flats parading their immaculate ink-sleeves either alone or with their blatantly model pretty wives or girlfriends, while apparently listening casually to what we must only assume is equally cool alternative music.

Unfortunately there are some among us that may find this a little off-putting and instantly think of a rampaging mob torching these painfully cool studio flats and the smug hipster males being forcibly conscripted into the North Korean army. Or something like that.

I've yet to get through this wall of marketing and see whether the site is actually any good as a means of identifying and downloading good music though (which it probably is I am sure). It certainly appears to be a hell of a lot more commercial than bandcamp - so instinctively imagine I'm going to be paying more to the middle man than to the artist, and there will be barriers to the smaller players (particularly self-releasers) generally.

Nothing wrong with this, per se. Just the facts of economic life etc etc.

However, all this is conjecture on my part. Like I say - would really welcome any thoughts / observations / opinions here. Only got into Bandcamp this year so no idea of its actual provenance - apart from (simply) assuming that it is the DIY antithesis of the dark iTunes empire.

Also - are there any other good ones out there? Picked up a couple of Soundsupply mini-drops (thanks to this site) but know no more about them.

Cheers!

when did this circle pit thing start

I'd say it's as simple as it's easier to send and listen to individual songs on Soundcloud (hence making it more relevant to bands with 'singles' i.e. electronic/dance artists), Bandcamp is much better for full records, including being able to set more of a context via artwork.