Topic: Buying a new speaker for a guitar amp - speaker/shop recommendations

so my guitar amp speaker died (12" fender special design, 8 ohm, 75watt) and i need to get a new one. want to get a similar set up because i liked the sound i had.

haven't found many reliable sites and there has only been one speaker i've found that i think would do the trick. but i got outbid on ebay for it. duh. any recommendations of shops (especially in london as that's close) that sell guitar speakers and also have friendly & knowledgeable staff? i'd quite like to be able to have a chat about a couple of things & check the speaker out with someone who knows their shit rather than just buying blindly off the net.

2 (edited by sleepwalker 13-09-2011 20:12:34)

Re: Buying a new speaker for a guitar amp - speaker/shop recommendations

alternatively, anyone got a 12" fender special design speaker, 8 ohm, 75-100 watt? tongue

come on, someone must be able to recommend somewhere reliable / reasonably priced / etc to buy guitar speakers?

bumping this because i blew the speaker on my guitar amp.

need a new one. where do i get one?

liam has bought and replaced a few amp speakers over the last couple of years, so maybe ask him.

doubledotdash!?

records  //  shows  //  t-shirts  //   shizz.  in reading.

will do, cheers

you thought about getting your speaker fixed? Not sure where your based but theres someone up in leeds that repairs/recones faulty speakers

commonthreadrecords.blogspot.com sheffield diy hc/punk

marck wrote:

you thought about getting your speaker fixed? Not sure where your based but theres someone up in leeds that repairs/recones faulty speakers

yeah, have done, but the speaker i had in there was a cheap-ish one anyway. there's a place that does it in wembley but the hassle of getting it there plus the cost is more than it would be to get a new one or a decent replacement off ebay...

what amp is it? what's your budget? I normally just browse Blue Aran until I've got an idea of something that I like.

tyedietapes wrote:

what amp is it? what's your budget? I normally just browse Blue Aran until I've got an idea of something that I like.

it's a modified fender 65R frontman. it's thin and like a buzzsaw. i suspect most people would throw it in the bin. just after a cheapo replacement but wanted to know what the options were and whether anyone had any recommendations of places to buy. i'll check blue aran out. have got a decent replacement on ebay for £30 incl. p&p so that should do the job, but worth knowing where to get these things...

I fixed a torn speaker once with tissue paper and wood glue. Similar to how you would patch a puncture. Sounded fine and never had any problems. Although I no longer have that cab.

Please read and share oureoin.com ,thank you.

garyoak wrote:

I fixed a torn speaker once with tissue paper and wood glue. Similar to how you would patch a puncture. Sounded fine and never had any problems. Although I no longer have that cab.

that sounds like the sort of thing i want to try. ace.