Topic: Photo Zines/Art Zines

Couple of things I'd like some thoughts on;

Firstly, if anyone has any recommendations for art/photo zines I should check out, I'm all ears.

Secondly, I'm basically turning over a couple ideas in my head for photo zines and was interested in any recommendations for places set up to help produce such things. Possible costs of colour etc.. Massively variable I know, but just interested in case there are any cool places out there I don't know about.

Re: Photo Zines/Art Zines

yuck n yum http://www.yucknyum.com/

Art/photo/writing zine, website allows you to browse past issues, print copies are free. Content is submited and varies from issue to issue. Even if it's not your bag their set up seems impressive.

SUPERCLUB gallery  http://www.superclubstudios.com/

Gallery & studio space at the top of Leith -they have a bunch of art zines produced by people working there and they seem like a friendly bunch who might help you out with contacts for production.

My main problem with art zines is people trying to charge £5 or £10 for a couple of photocopied & stapled pages, in my opinion it goes against the whole ethos.

my favorite photo zines are by a group in san Francisco called "hamburger eyes" theyre more mini coffee table books as apposed to paper zines but theyre fantastic and full of different styles/eras of black and white photography.

They also have  a killer book out which you should check out. they sell tons of ace zines from their online shop. They are pretty flakey with posting though just so you know. http://www.hamburgereyeland.com/servlet … Categories

this is the book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/HAMBURGER-EYES- … urger+eyes

I used to buy a lot from this guy as well although i haven't even been on the site in years so im not sure what he's doing these days http://www.theflopbox.com/wordpress/zines

totally worth checking out etsy for photozines/photobooks as well. Ive bought some real cool diy zines from random people on there before.

I'm also working on the idea of making a photozine at the moment as well so if anyone has any suggestions id also appreciate it.

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

Ricky Adam has got a zine coming out with photos of the backs of punks jackets

'Glad To See The Back Of You' - A Zine' all about punk jackets -
This is the West Yorkshire, U.K. 'punk as fuck' edition 2013 -
Published by Trajectories - A5, 48 pages, full colour, digitally printed, perfect bound -
300 first edition copies - (First 50 purchased get a free metal stud)
£5.00 each (not including postage).
More info. at rickyadamphoto.com

to hijack this a little i kinda-recently finished up a photozine of 4 days following around the japanese band a page of punk ( http://seanhaughton.bigcartel.com lololol). i'm working on a couple of new ones too! i'd be up to hear of more recommendations of UK stuff in this thread. this has also reminded me i need to buy chaz's zines:

http://eatabookrecords.blogspot.co.uk/2 … -zine.html

i think footprinters still works out cheapest generally for black and white. re: colour, i hope you have a small fortune saved up!

ewan wrote:

Published by Trajectories - A5, 48 pages, full colour, digitally printed, perfect bound -

£5 could get you into some crust show at the grosvenor and you can see all the punk jackets you want.

You don't remember me...........do you.

7 (edited by Layzell 28-05-2013 19:08:37)

I've done a couple of photography zines and used Footprinters in Leeds for the first and John E. Wright for the second. Footprinters was good for a cheap, 24/28 page, black and white photo zine where image quality wasn't that important as I used cheap cameras and had high contrast/grainy photo's. 50 copies was £98 with postage, so I sold them for £2.

The second one I used medium format film so the quality of the print was very important and, because I had one colour photograph in it, I had to print the pages as if they were all colour, so it was a little more expensive. 40 pages (38pp), 30 copies worked out as £3.60 each so I sold them for £4. The first run of 30 I did for an exhibition in Nottingham sold really well, the next 30 I did for an exhibition in London didn't sell a single one, so I've had to try get rid of them myself, which is hard work if you're not really a known photographer/a fan of social networking sites like myself. (a quick example of my zine can be seen here http://cargocollective.com/hlayzell/Better)

There are also places like this - http://www.newspaperclub.com/ - where you can create something online and they send you the finished product. It seems fairly user friendly and I've seen a couple of papers people have gotten through them, they seem quite good if you're into the newspaper format.

The problem I have found with photography zines is who they are aimed at. I'm not in with the art crowd and, as such, my photography zines weren't really appreciated there, and if the photographs weren't of punk gigs (which they largely weren't), the DIY scene that would normally buy DIY punk zines weren't too bothered either. There are some really good things out there though where you can submit ideas for zines and if they like the ideas then they'll publish them for you, 'Self Publish Be Happy' is a UK one and is very good. 'Pogo' is another one that is similar but is based in Germany I think. Have a google and check their products though for ideas.

As general rules, and talking from general experience-
-'Arty' people tend to not like photography zines unless they're photographs that look like they should be in Vice.
- As lardsnail said, people have a problem with paying a lot for a zine as they are perceived to be DIY and as a result, cheap (I agree with this and also resent paying £3/4/5 for something I know was photocopied, but as long as it's justifiable and I can see why it's the price it is, I'm fine with it.)
-Don't get big runs, get as many printed as you think you can sell realistically. 25/30 is a nice amount for a dabble into self-publishing I think.

Hope that was of some help and I'm sorry for the lengthy reply.

Sam K wrote:
ewan wrote:

£5 could get you into some crust show at the grosvenor and you can see all the punk jackets you want.

printed paper would smell nicer though ;-)

Thanks everyone for the responses. Gives me some things to think about.

I've meant to pop in to check out SUPERCLUB myself for a while, but all the openings I saw had been Friday's when I'm working. I will make it down at some point.

Longterm, i'm planning to work towards a Tablet-ePhotoMag, but that will be bigger and possibly more serious/heavyweight. At the moment, I have never used a tablet. So I figure I'll put that on the back-burner for now until I have a bit of an idea what the format can do.

Short term, I have a few different ideas for things I'd like to do. I've worked in plenty print places, so knocking out a A5/A4 b&W number would be a piece of piss from the production size.

One possible approach I was thinking about was to make a black and white zine, leaving (x) amount of blank white pages. Then getting photographic prints made and sticking them in with picture hinges or something. If you're doing over 500 copies I recon you could get them down to about 5p a print or less. Obviously this one suit shorter runs better.

Layzell wrote:

-'Arty' people tend to not like photography zines unless they're photographs that look like they should be in Vice.
- As lardsnail said, people have a problem with paying a lot for a zine as they are perceived to be DIY and as a result, cheap (I agree with this and also resent paying £3/4/5 for something I know was photocopied, but as long as it's justifiable and I can see why it's the price it is, I'm fine with it.)

Yeah, this is a point of interest for me. I think I want to envisage a third path, somewhere between these points. A lot of things about both boil my piss. I want to find some sort of personal equilibrium. I think lately I've realised I need a creative outlet that isn't band based. I need other people to bands. I can do this all by myself, so...

I think I want to approach making them in a similar way to making record sleeves. Bit of a hand-made touch. Bit of an effort. Not too much outlay.

If I came up with something decent enough, I would consider doing a book. But that'd be a totally different set of sums.

Kingmob wrote:

T
One possible approach I was thinking about was to make a black and white zine, leaving (x) amount of blank white pages. Then getting photographic prints made and sticking them in with picture hinges or something. If you're doing over 500 copies I recon you could get them down to about 5p a print or less. Obviously this one suit shorter runs better.

I think that's a really great idea. Totally adds more to what most of the time in photo zines is quite boring. Plus for me it makes it much more of a personal sort of purchase. To get something more personal from the person that makes the book/zine/whatever makes it so much more enjoyable and adds a lot more quality to what ive just spent my money on.

Definitely check out the hamburger eyes zine if you can, its not paper print based but more of a mini magazine, it is expensive but as far as i am aware ive never seen another mag like it in terms of print and what it delivers (100% photos and zero writting).

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"