Topic: Warhammer & 40K and generally being a punk and hardcore kid

A blog started up last week, chatting about Warhammer and 40k (other games to follow) and general punk/core lifestyle around these things.

Writers include members and ex-members of bands like Down & Outs, Rot in Hell, On Thin Ice, The Break In,, Ark of the Covenant Unholy Majesty, Final Rage and xRepentancex amongst others. Features are going up pretty much every day, including gaming stuff, music stuff and general shit just for kicks.

Check it out if that's your bag.

http://www.corehammer.com/

Re: Warhammer & 40K and generally being a punk and hardcore kid

What an awesome idea. Wish I still played Warhammer.

Nice idea! I dabble in fantasy at times, but our playgroup dissolved, and GW have effectively priced me out for a while.

4 (edited by thencomesdudley 07-06-2013 14:54:17)

Awesome. Played both WH & 40k, although I particularly adored Gorkamorka...was a little more involved.

Edit: The annoying thing about Warhammer was how shit I was at painting them.

"Give me a prejudice, and I will move the world"

Interesting. I played 40k: Rouge Trader a lot. Before they started pushing everything towards crappy boxsets, never dug that. Superbly detailed universe though. One day there is a god like Horus heresy movie waiting to be made....

I was much more into painting the models than actually playing the games.

40k world is really well done, I actually like a fair bit of the fiction. Shame 40k the game always seems a dumbed down version of fantasy, and everyone also plays space marines.

Painting is the bit I hate, I have far more unpainted models than painted ones. Prefer to play magic (no painting) and flames of war (not very much painting) these days.

Glad this is being well received. It was going to be a zine originally but we thought that the collective had too much shit to talk, so would never see the light of day.

Happy to take any comments or criticism, comment on any blog post and/or tweet at @corehammer (also on Instgram as @corehammer, both of which are getting updated frequently too).

I really liked Necromunda when I were a lad.  You could personalize all the miniatures and give them 'cool' names.  All mine were named after Fear Factory and Front Line Assembly songs - I was about 15!  It was way cheaper to play too as you only need one small gang and I mad loads of 5 or 6 floor bits of scenery.

I had a pretty big Tyranid army in 40k too.  I played it again a year ago and they'd simplified the rules and made it a much more fluid to play.

I had a mate at the time who was horribly addicted to shop-lifting and would nick loads of GW stuff and sell it half price.  Pretty morally reprehensible, but again, we were about 15.

All a bit too sex, drugs and rock'n'roll for me.

Be polite
In the pyramid you hate

I used to really like 40'k Epic. Painting the old imperial titans was amazing. they just look like big dreadnoughts now, it's rubbish.

I did consider setting up a service painting armies for those who couldn't be bothered at one time, but never got around to it.

I used to play Fantasy with Sam, however I've also been priced out of a new army this year and have made the switch to WW2 gaming.

15mm WW2 stuff is a lot more common and easier / cheaper to pick up.

I guess this blog also explains why Kev Walsh hasn't updated his own in ages.

If anyone is interested in the Flames of War stuff I do, I blog about it here - http://www.mostlyapocalyptic.co.uk/blog/

Nevermind whats been selling...ROIDH

Andy - How's FOW Vietnam? I quite like the period and dont have an army for it, and it's unusual enough that I probably cant be bothered trying to retrofit another game to do it. We've played a bit of CWC at 3/6mm and its got interesting guerilla rules, but I dont necessarily want to take it up to 20mm.
How bad are FOW games for taking liberties with historical TOE? The preponderance of Panthers/Tigers/King Tigers in WWII games is something that never fails to irritate me...

a lot of WWII gamers (board and miniature) are notorious for their love of playing the nazis. all those big tanks they get hot under the collar about are just a microcosm of the problem.

We've all met those gamers, but it's a bit of a drag only fighting some elite king tiger company every day of the week, and never seeing a panzer II/III... Especially considering the average milage/repair ratio...

Happy with my Stug's here!

Leocrusher wrote:

We've all met those gamers, but it's a bit of a drag only fighting some elite king tiger company every day of the week, and never seeing a panzer II/III... Especially considering the average milage/repair ratio...

Added to the fact that King Tigers were only introduced halway through 1944. Lol.

17 (edited by Andy GI 12-06-2013 08:43:15)

Leocrusher wrote:

Andy - How's FOW Vietnam? I quite like the period and dont have an army for it, and it's unusual enough that I probably cant be bothered trying to retrofit another game to do it. We've played a bit of CWC at 3/6mm and its got interesting guerilla rules, but I dont necessarily want to take it up to 20mm.
How bad are FOW games for taking liberties with historical TOE? The preponderance of Panthers/Tigers/King Tigers in WWII games is something that never fails to irritate me...

Vietnam hasn't really taken off here as well as some hoped, a few of us have the rulebooks but haven't made the leap into getting an army, I have plans for a US airmobile force but it'll cost about £130 to get all the choppers together. So I don't wanna commit until other people have got forces. Which I guess is what everyone else is doing.

In terms of history, its split into 3 periods of war but yes there can be some liberties taken with history, King Tigers, Panthers and Tigers Is however all have their weaknesses in late war, and aren't as common as you think. Recent rulebooks have upgraded the British 17pdrs to have new APDS rounds so they go through heavy armour with ease and unlike other games (where you can always save on a 6 or fail on a 1) in Flames if there is no chance of stopping the round, it goes through.

Battlefront has a massive love of '44/'45, so there are more source books / lists for that period so by the same token it becomes the most popular. Mid War is pretty balanced but lacks the "flavour and toys" of late period and I've not played any early war but I have read a lot that it struggles with game balance, one massive reason that Operation Barbarossa keeps getting pushed back is that battlefront are struggling to balance massed T34s the game.

I love it though, it plays much better and smoother than any other Games Workshop game, its properly scenario based as well.

Cheers la!
We had a similar problem with late period cold war gone hot stuff in CWC, you get all of the toys but the game was actually more fun doing stuff like the Ogaden War, Indo-Pakistani conflicts or Iran-Iraq...

You guys mike like Bolt Action, it plays like 2nd 40k with some cool pinning mechanics and turn sequence that is not you go I go. Also if you want a tiger, that's like over 500pts, the standard game being 1000pt at the moment. You can take it, but it's going to cost you big. It's meat and potatoes is infantry and you generally have at least 3 squads plus toys (I'm us infantry, so I have a Chaffee, Greyhound Armoured car, couple of jeeps and a mortar). It's worth checking out some YouTube videos.

Hopefully I'll be writing some stuff for BA soon, mostly been working on Fantasy stuff to get the blog a good foundation of articles (as most people are into the GW stuff). Other people will be talking about Malifaux and a few other bits soon too.

Yeah, i've seen Bolt Action demos being run at gaming shows, however I don't think i'd want to play a 2nd WW2 game and i'm happy with Flames of War for now.

Fair enough. Check out WWPD podcast on iTunes, they have a show called Bolt Action Radio which is done by FoW tourney players. Might be of interest, perhaps?

Just an FYI to people that may be interested, the blog are selling some shirts to cover hosting costs and such. Heres the info if you are interested.

http://corehammer.bigcartel.com/

PunBB bbcode test

anyone into this mess in London? Have recently got back into WFB and 40k much to my gf's chagrin and don't really have anyone to play due to my desire to spend as little time as possible in the company of your average trad nerd.

futura serie bq wrote:

anyone into this mess in London? Have recently got back into WFB and 40k much to my gf's chagrin and don't really have anyone to play due to my desire to spend as little time as possible in the company of your average trad nerd.

A bunch of the Corehammer people play down at Dark Sphere which is near Waterloo station. Mostly fantasy on Mondays.
We got a Facebook now (I think you have to be approved first), go on there and mention you are looking for a game and someone will hook you up. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Corehammer/ If you get any problems, email me and I'll sort it out.

haven't perused the whole blog yet but you should write something about Bolt Thrower, they loved a bit of Games Workshop art.
Who did all that stuff? And did they do other metal band covers?