Topic: Best Audio Capture Software

Right then.

I've been hugely impressed by both the wellhead of basic knowledge on this site (kiss ass) and the speed at which you get replies from savvy people....

Power to the scene, maaan.

Anyway - need some advice on the best (preferably open source) audiocapture software to run my usb turntable and tape player line in. Have audacity but find it really clunky and unfriendly - and also have some bundle that came with the ion turntable but required itunes, so refused to install that on principle.

All I need is a simple bit of software that reads the data, cleans it, and spits it out in MP3 with a minimum of fuss - and drops them into basic document folders (i'm still running Windows XP, but switching to 7 and / or Linux as and when) for me to manage in my own, low tech way.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Joe

when did this circle pit thing start

Re: Best Audio Capture Software

Audacity

Yeah, audacity, just persist with it. The process that you want is better done in manual steps to get the best results.

I record to audacity in 32-bit float 48000 Hz, then dither it down to CD quality once i've edited the audio.

I then split the wav into tracks using CDWave, then convert to mp3/flac and add id tags using foobar2000.

Unfortunately with an Ion turntable, your vinyl rips probably won't ever sound that good.

Thanks mate - basically solution is: learn to use audacity and take responsibility for it. Like all open source, basically.

Nice one.

Have a pro-ject turntable I can use - but the ion one is more practical.

Cheers again.

Cool, let me know if you want me to go into any more detail on any of that.

I would try and use the pro-ject deck if possible, the results will be miles better.

Thanks mate - reckon I just might take you up on that. smile