Re: afghan whigs

still rock gentlemen every now and again. saw them a few times in the mid-late 90s, pretty damn good.

after that i was too cool for them, now i'm back out the other side.

pitmanfan wrote:

i saw them at reading or pheonix on the main stage half way through the day.

Yeah, I saw them play Reading one year. Seemed slightly wrong to be seeing 'em play mid-afternoon on a bright sunny day. Great nonetheless.

guess what..? http://theafghanwhigs.com/index.html

We're going to party, karamu, fiesta, forever.

List/Listless: http://listless1.bandcamp.com

I was annoyed at GBV splitting up (again) and cancelling that ATP thing, but this is good news to me. Plus Chavez seem to have reformed for it.

I like music.

holy shit!

I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

toby wrote:

I was annoyed at GBV splitting up (again) and cancelling that ATP thing, but this is good news to me. Plus Chavez seem to have reformed for it.

same. the GBV cancellation is a major shitter, but more than adequate replacements with whigs, chavez and archers of loaf. plus Yob and Wolves in the throne room on the metal day. all 3 days look great so far!

i just read an old Gutter Twins interview the other day, and Dulli was saying how it would take mid-six figures for him to reform whigs. "the past is the past and I would hate to dilute the great times I had in the Afghan Whigs by dragging it back out and beating its corpse. I just don't know if I could do that."

i guess times or financial requirements change! (i'm happy to see them again anyway)

Break Up Your Band

Yep, all three days look brilliant.

Good to see you briefly last week - sorry I didn't make it out for a record shop/booze on Friday!

I like music.

no worries, didn't manage much of a shopping/booze session anyway. good to see you too, great gig. maybe catch you for a beer in Ally Pally in May if you're going, dunno if i'll be down for anything before then.

Break Up Your Band

Already have my ticket for Ally Pally, so definitely man.

I like music.

Bit amusing that I semi-seriously compared them to Aerosmith earlier here 'cos i just read that they actually toured with the 'Smith at the end of the 90s. Must've been bizarre.

Anyway over the last couple of years with the Whigs and Twilight Singers taken together, Dulli's back-catalog has become probably my favourite ever. All TS albums are very good, but the first two are most consistent. Love the trip-hop feel of Twilight, but Blackberry Belle is #1. Like Gentlemen, it's almost a perfect LP. 

Seeing AW at ATP last year was mindblowing for me. They picked the ideal moment to get back together! Fantastic time.

Dunno If people saw about this but for a large part of their set in sxsw they were joined by....USHER!?! Apparently this was well-received but personally I would've been gutted if this was the one reunion performance I was able to catch.

new album coming out on sub pop in april.

i'm not too optimistic about it, but will certainly give it a listen. didn't really like 1965 and can't imagine them matching congregation/gentlemen/black love...

Break Up Your Band

I'm stoked for this. I thought the Frank Ocean cover they popped up was awesome.

same, but then i've liked most of what dulli has done

I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

Apparently there's a new Black Love repress just out.

I'm incapable of disliking anything Dulli ever does so I'm looking forward to this, but obvs am expecting more latter-day sheen to it rather than the incredible Gentlemen/Black Love feel.

Added: 04-02-2014 04:04:16

Apparently there's a new Black Love repress just out.

I'm incapable of disliking anything Dulli ever does so I'm looking forward to this, but obvs am expecting more latter-day sheen to it rather than the incredible Gentlemen/Black Love feel.