Topic: discogs seller punishment moaning thread

fuck. i'd forgotten how unbelievably annoying selling records to morons / italians / vinyl collective posters can be.

no, i'm not going to accept your £10 offer on a £25 LP. stop wasting my time.

no, i'm not going to ship uninsured to fucking brazil.

yeah, i know how to mail a record. i don't need your step-by-step instructions. i know how to grade and you do not need photographs of this still-in-print £2 7". frankly i don't give a shit whether you buy it or not.

half the people collecting records these days are absolute bellends.

air your grievances here.

Re: discogs seller punishment moaning thread

Oh man, the step-by-step instructions about how to mail a record properly are a fucking gruelfest.

i can imagine why people do this tongue
bought once a record from USA (he had no shipping fees outside USA listed) and he either wanted to scam me on shipping or was ashamed to admit he charged too much after all.. he send a 7" in a LP mailer -.-

yeah, unfortunatly a lot of that is down to other sellers being bellends i think

I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

Slightly off topic but the Best of Discogs Twitter account is a good laugh: https://twitter.com/discogsbest

man, i must have been lucky. not had to deal with any cocks on discogs to date, generally pretty smooth. only bad experience was when i told a guy i didn't receive something i ordered and we got into a bit of a stupid argument. eventually i backed down as i couldn't be arsed to see it through. then i found the record i had ordered buried under a pile of review stuff a few weeks later. oops.

Andy Malcolm wrote:

man, i must have been lucky. not had to deal with any cocks on discogs to date, generally pretty smooth. only bad experience was when i told a guy i didn't receive something i ordered and we got into a bit of a stupid argument. eventually i backed down as i couldn't be arsed to see it through. then i found the record i had ordered buried under a pile of review stuff a few weeks later. oops.

A+ would read again.

Take one for the team;

Cool kids know what I mean.

8 (edited by Sam K 15-08-2015 07:49:05)

Americans putting over the odds in the value has been my main one lately. Got charged £28 in customs charges last month.....

You don't remember me...........do you.

Sam K wrote:

Americans putting over the odds in the value has been my main one lately. Got charged £28 in customs charges last month.....

to me they always wrote something like 5 bucks and had no problem when i asked them so write a lower value. but i didnt buy massive amounts so maybe had luck.

I love it though, when they put stuff like "free shit" or "used shit" on the package to avoid customs smile

Favourite post on Best of Discogs twitter:

"There are those with taste: those with money: and those with the repress."

whilst the postage guide is probably annoying i can understand where it comes from having received ruined sleeves on records graded vg+ etc presumably due to some idiot leaving the record inside the sleeve when they post it.

...haha, I think I was one of the people giving dontcarewhere instructions on how to pack the vinyl!

Anyway, I tend to do that whenever buying records from someone new. I've simply had too many records (that I've paid good money for) shipped to me in flimsy mailers with no extra stiffeners, corner protection etc. and with the vinyl inside the sleeve that I consider it easier for myself to write some instructions "just in case".

Regarding Discogs, I've sold/bought a huge amount of stuff there over the years and luckily have been spared with having to deal with too many assholes. Obviously there always are the dumbasses who think the package will travel from Finland to Australia in one day etc. Probably need to knock on wood.

Not had any horror stories just yet, touch wood.  I hate getting derisory offers for stuff - or when people message me directly offering me like a pound less than the stated price.  Just seems petty.

My main gripe is that people almost always do not provide feedback.  I've been stuck on the same amount of feedback for ages, despite me always giving feedback after a transaction.

Nous ne voulons pas d'un monde ou la certitude je suis un pomme de terre de ne pas mourir de faim s'echange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui
T-I-M

Seem to have avoided the most flagrant types of bellendery, though would say I've had more parcels get "lost in the post" with Discogs than in all the previous years I sold on eBay and also seem to have loads of people flake out (predominantly overseas buyers, who presumably don't check postage costs before they buy).

Overall pros outweigh the cons for sure, though.

i've got offers turned off, screw those guys. buy it or don't!

somehow avoided negative feedback to date (100%, 104 rated transactions) even though sometimes i take a week to ship. so it can't be all bad.

slugpace wrote:

...haha, I think I was one of the people giving dontcarewhere instructions on how to pack the vinyl!

fuck sorry dude when people send me vinyl packing instructions i send the records inside the sleeves just to fuck with them. ooooft!! luckily your stuff is well-packed and delivered UPS anyway so y'know, it'll be fine

dontcarewhere wrote:
slugpace wrote:

fuck sorry dude when people send me vinyl packing instructions i send the records inside the sleeves just to fuck with them. ooooft!! luckily your stuff is well-packed and delivered UPS anyway so y'know, it'll be fine

Great, thanks and apologies! In Finland we have a saying about "teaching your father to fuck" and I know that feeling exactly, after having run a distro for 15 years with hardly any problems with damaged stuff and now having worked a couple of years at a record label/mailorder as my day job, I still have to read vinyl packing instructions on a daily basis.

19 (edited by RobxT 18-08-2015 09:25:30)

RE: 'Make an Offer', I'll often offer a couple of quid less than the price, don't see the problem. When you've got the option of buying the same record at similar prices from dozens of sellers, it can make the difference. On everything I sell I allow offers and will usually sell for a few quid less. Swings and roundabouts...

For a lot of stuff the price has bottomed out in the last few years (as more and more people use the site), which makes it easier to get stuff cheaper but makes it harder to sell stuff at reasonable prices (Ebay is still better for that).

I've bought and sold a fair amount on Discogs and thankfully I've had very few problems; haven't had a parcel go missing yet (at least as a buyer - one parcel I sold went "missing" to a Spanish scam artist that I should have Googled before selling to. Cunt).

EDIT:
Memorable Discogs stupidity:
- Getting sent a few LPs packed in a used pizza box turned inside out. Had this happen more than once.
- Buying 5 LPs off the same seller and receiving them at different times over the course of a few weeks in 5 individual mailers...
- Being sent accusations that I'm a nazi for selling an All Skrewed Up bootleg?
- Someone sending me a Bob Marley record instead of the cheap Hendrix one I'd ordered.

Added: 18-08-2015 19:27:11

p.s. the scam buyer was Santiago Sanchez. Do not sell to this guy.

20 (edited by Stout 18-08-2015 09:54:24)

Can you remember his Discogs name Rob? I'll block him from buying off me.

Edit: found him but it might be an old name

barbanutria

RobxT wrote:

- Someone sending me a Bob Marley record instead of the cheap Hendrix one I'd ordered.

Fantastic.

Stout wrote:

Can you remember his Discogs name Rob? I'll block him from buying off me.

Edit: found him but it might be an old name

barbanutria

That's the guy and the same ID. If you google him there's posts about him on a few forums. I'm sure he's got a new handle nowadays. Total scum.

someone argued the toss over my postage rates saying it was way to much. I re-weighted the record, turns out i was losing out myself!

or, endless questions and requests for images about an item, then to be asked to wait until they get paid (at the end of the month) and nothing..............

someone made me an offer on a £10 CD - told them no, he then said could he buy it for £10 but that i waive the postage...argh!

If anyone on Discogs asks for a photo of a record selling for less than £15 they can fuck off

I've had 2 major headaches out of selling a lot of bits, so can't complain

Major Wants : To The Point "mentally checked out' 7"
the Death Dust Extractor 12" & Crisis 7"s at punk prices...
and I do a weird record label http://tadpolerecords.blogspot.co.uk/