1 (edited by thencomesdudley 21-12-2015 15:51:04)

Topic: Deciding to sell all your records

I've reached that point where I'm pretty keen to get rid of the record collection. Can't face moving with them again, I barely listen to them compared to streaming, I can't justify spending ~£20 on new records so don't intend to expand the collection. I've already sold entire CD collection and not given it a second thought. This isn't about the merit of records per se, just my own listening habits.

Anyone sold everything and regretted it?

"Give me a prejudice, and I will move the world"

Re: Deciding to sell all your records

send me a list and i'll make you an offer

Cheers smile, I'll bear it in mind if I can get over the sentimentality of the idea.

you could reduce it to a core you cant part with?

think about doing this all the time but i just can't be arsed to list/price them, maybe i'll get someone with a van to help me take em to a record fair but i dunno if they're gonna be hot shit to a bunch of elo fans/indie bores

I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

dunno about getting rid of an entire collection but never had regrets after selling a bunch of records. you still retain the memory of having owned them if that makes sense.

the whole discogs process stops me from doing this. it's a pain in the ass.

I have sold big chunks of stuff in the past. Like, 1000s. Occasionally I'll realise that I don't have such-and-such a record but I don't get sentimental about it, really.

I tend to play stuff via Spotify most of the time these days cos I'm too lazy to flip records so I may well sell the whole lot soon. And yeah, moving house with records SUCKS!

nah,

vinyl is social.

I have people round and within minutes whether they like it or not they have records and inserts in their hands and I'm pointing at stuff.

My record player is broken (and has been for over a year), I haven't bought a vinyl record in over a year but I'm not intending to sell any of my collection - just recognise they don't fit into my life particularly right now (splitting time between 2 cities and 3 addresses) but am aware that situation will likely have changed by this time next year

i had to sell all my vinyl a couple ofyears ago when my other half was ill and couldn't work. 1000's of early punk, 80's indie etc all sold for a few hundred quid as i needed the money quick. it felt like i was giving them away. was heartbreaking

i've been selling what's left of my stuff recently and it was a very easy decision

1) a few years ago when i was living in glasgow i was supplementing my income by buying collections and selling them and made good money

2) i moved to canada for a while and had to leave my collection back home. i never missed it

3) i had stopped being that kind of person that stayed home listening to records smoking weed every day. now i pretty much exclusively listen to music when i'm walking or on the train / in the car

4) i wasted so much time shopping for records online and in stores and that stopped being a thing for me

i suppose it boils down to the inconvenience and expense. i've been gladly taking the money for what i had and using it to travel, live a more fulfilling life and not work very much. actually it's been really quite liberating

Moving around a few times between countries relieved me of feeling any more need to collect records, and having lived for a while now without a record player I can't say I miss it too badly. That said, although most of my old collection is currently stuck in a house many, many miles away, and I should try to sell a lot more of it at some point, I know there's at least a couple of big boxes of '90s emo records that I could never part with!

We're going to party, karamu, fiesta, forever.

List/Listless: http://listless1.bandcamp.com

Mines have been in boxes for 4 years, never seen them, realised I don't miss/need/want them.
I'd sell em if I didn't think it would be so much hassle.

gime al ya emo you rotter

I've got about 600 CDs at home (parent's home) that I haven't touched in about 10 years. Keep meaning to sell them, but given the distance it's a bit difficult.

I am dreading the next time I have to move

Major Wants : To The Point "mentally checked out' 7"
the Death Dust Extractor 12" & Crisis 7"s at punk prices...
and I do a weird record label http://tadpolerecords.blogspot.co.uk/

I've sold a few things recently on discogs but it's only to fund buying bigger and more expensive rare items. I could do with shifting about 100-200 7"s at least but they're worth nothing and would be too much hassle to even make a list of them.
I have sold or traded things in the past for a fraction of what they're worth now (like an original deathcrush 12") so if you're considering selling anything do your homework first and ask yourself could you really live without it.
Even though it's a terrible recording I could never part with my chung king LP despite the silly money it goes for. It's a piece of history. One of the reasons I collect.

Don't you ever try to rock my house-I'm a real cool cat Y' know what I'm sayin' Micky Mouse.

I regret selling terrible heavy metal records i liked when i was 14... tread carefully with this, i could never had predicted what i'd want to listen too 26 years later.

(listening on YT is not the same somehow)

anyone who has grown out of emo/screamo who wants to make some quick money PM me and i'll send you my wants list

I sold my collection 20 years ago when I moved/got married/had kids and have spent the last few years buying it back! Makes me cry when I see how much it goes for now! To be honest tho, at least a third of it was shit. Didn't have today's luxury of hearing it first on the internet so you had to buy blind or by recommendation or by trading which was my preferred method.
As was said earlier in this thread be very sure you wanna sell cos like me you could end up buying it all back someday!

My two penneth...

About 4-5 years ago I was gearing up to move again, this time potentially into my own place. All (and I mean ALL) my stuff was at my parents' place and just taking up room there, so I made the decision to get rid of some things. I definitely had a hoarder mentality, accumulating stuff quicker than I could ever listen / digest it too.

Getting rid of the first thing was a big (emotional) leap but once I'd done it the floodgates opened. In my case it was mostly CDs which are easier to mail and transport around so that was nice. Also some of them went for quite a bit. Some also I just gave away with orders. It took forever.

I think I'm the kind of person that enjoys the selling process, a librarian type perhaps. Ebay sucked hard, discogs was a lot more enjoyable and user-friendly. And in general terms my collection was lower cost, less rare stuff so buyers were friendlier and more accepting on the whole.

Still got loads of stuff though - 11 or so kallax cubes of LPs, same again of CDs and 7"'s, but I feel that it's down to stuff I really really love. Another round of culling could be in order though. At least it's in my own place now, occupying most of a wall. My label stuff lives in another room, along with the remainder of stuff I want to sell.

I say get rid of the records, because for a start you'll physically pick the damn things up again and realise how much you like some of them, and you might appreciate music all over again in a new (old?) way.

Pretty much bang on there Kunal! I went through everything at the weekend and any record with even a remote pang of 'Not sure I could part with that' went in a keep pile, rest on a spreadsheet to sell. I don't remember owning half of them. I did a bit of a cull a couple of years ago, now selling around 200 LPs, charity shopping about 50, keeping around 75. Cheers for the input everyone really interesting to read.

24 (edited by katiek 05-03-2016 12:17:37)

I'm in a total quandary. My records have been sat in my dad's house between 2009 and 2015 just taking up the whole of the back living room sending him mental while I was living abroad. I, too, am a hoarder. Well, I used to be a hoarder until I moved abroad and it made me realise that I would rather spend my money on holidays/trips rather than wax. Like Ben, I no longer spend my time stoned listening to music. In the last few years I've spent my freetime on my bike, snowboard or going on road trips, rather than getting wasted and losing days.

I'm back in the UK for an undetermined amount of time but the likelihood that we move back to Canada within the next 12 months is very high. As for my records, I don't know what to do. I have a Kallax 2x4 full, not to mention 3 shoeboxes of 7"s. I need to start the cull and then maybe keep 4 cubes' worth of wax but I don't even know if moving 4 cubes' worth of vinyl to Canada is worth the hassle; what with cost and that. I keep threatening to get rid of them all but there are some gems in there and they brought so much happiness when I was unhappy.

I really don't want to get rid of them, but that's probably due to me being lazy as fuck and a sentimental sucker.

I'm a big fan of condensing my record collection. I try to trim sporadically and have a big cull every four or five years. Better to have a smaller collection of all-killer stuff than a huge collection is mixed quality.