Re: Deciding to sell all your records

I am busy selling off my collection on Discogs. Even the stuff I'm not convinced I should part with gets listed with a hefty price and a "make an offer" option. Today I sold the Beyond Possession lp for less than a tenner, not a musical milestone but I've had it thirty years from new and only played it once to tape it. I haven't played either tape or vinyl in ages so did I really need it?

Allez Alle wrote:

I'm a big fan of condensing my record collection. I try to trim sporadically and have a big cull every four or five years. Better to have a smaller collection of all-killer stuff than a huge collection is mixed quality.

Correct. Keep it lean, doesn't become a burden.

Take one for the team;

Cool kids know what I mean.

28 (edited by katiek 09-03-2016 16:55:55)

Alright you're all inspiring me to thin my collection to "essential purchases" which will clear my guilt when I move abroad again. I am very behind with the times, so apologies if I'm asking obvious questions here.

A) where is the best place to shift records. Discogs? EBay? Here? All of the above?

B) would you bother cataloguing what you have on excel or is that just the pedant in me coming out?

Erm I think that's it for questions. Cheers!

dontcarewhere / Ben on this forum might be up for buying a lot from you if you want to keep it simple. Good dude.

Discogs makes it easy to list stuff and you can see the going rate for things.
When you list stuff on discogs you can export data as a spreadsheet if you wanted to post a text list somewhere.

Ebay has more reach I guess but was an absolutely pain in the hole to navigate and use.

Discogs is easy. Rare stuff goes quick. Post a list in here!

Take one for the team;

Cool kids know what I mean.

31 (edited by katiek 09-03-2016 18:41:46)

Will do! I will start on it this weekend. My aim is to get it down to four cubes of vinyl, but I bet I struggle to part with lots. Ha ha.

I'm not in a rush so will take time over it. I'll get  back on Discogs as well. This is gonna be one he'll of a nostalgia ride! I do own some chaff, mind!

32 (edited by tracey_ramone 09-03-2016 19:07:05)

I'm just starting to use Discogs after selling records on eBay for years.

Ebay's listing pages take quite a while to fill in and navigate. I always had pictures of the actual item on there, which added another bunch of time. They charge insertion fees as well as final value fees - IIRC it's 35p an item insertion fee and 10% of the total paid (they now take 10% of the postage you charge as well)
Discogs is a breeze to list things on in comparison. You enter search terms and then choose which of their database records corresponds to the record. You can't upload your own picture and just describe condition in a short text. This makes it MUCH quicker. There is no insertion fee and they take 8% of the total paid. It's also helpful in that you can see a sales history for your item with average, highest and lowest prices.

One way you can pay fewer fees on eBay is to use their seller offers. I'm not sure if every seller gets these or if it's only for people who have good seller ratings, but every now and then (roughly every 2 weeks but with unexplained gaps and changes to the offers) they would give you the chance to list 100 items without insertion fees. They also allow you the same deal for 20 items a month every month. So I'd keep a rolling pile of about 100 things which I would re-list when the offers came in.

Obviously on eBay there is potential for you to get more than your starting price, unlike Discogs. But you have to go through the hassle of re-listing stuff often. I would usually list on eBay for around the lowest Discogs price and things often took a lot of tries to shift, and it was relatively rare to get more than one bid. I wasn't generally selling super rare or desirable stuff though.

eBay has a lot more users - 150 million regular users compared to 3 million on Discogs was a figure I read. But I don't know what proportion of people browse the records on eBay.

I haven't experienced any dealings with Discogs' complaints and returns or feedback yet. There was a complaint thread a while back on here about Discogs "punishers" being a pain in the ass (insanely fussy, a million questions, making ridiculous offers on stuff). I found the eBay system around items not being as described relatively reasonable, although if a buyer wants to fuck you over on eBay the system is stacked in their favour somewhat. Just selling punk records I found that most people I dealt with were reasonable. Royal Mail "lost" many more packages from me to other people than the other way around -  but I just had to put that down to a few bad apples.

Decided to sell some, not all, of them. I listed a bunch on discogs - used their suggested price algorithm which has pitched a lot of things as waaaaay too expensive but having spent hours listing them I can't face going back through everything today so will revisit lowering prices in the next few days. Anyone on here's welcome to give me a message though and I can sort out sensible price off of discogs. Cheers.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/twinter/ … ;limit=250

"Give me a prejudice, and I will move the world"

This was all a ploy to laugh at your (ex) record collection

Hah....understandable, I'm sure the long game will be rewarded particularly in some of the 7"s.

I keep meaning to list mine but I really can't be arsed with the hassle. Thing is I'm broke as shit and my records are the only things of any value I own, so I should probably try to convert them into cash to help get myself started up in being self employed. Might help cover rent for a month or two.

^ make a list of what you have and i'll happily make you an offer for the entire lot

38 (edited by thencomesdudley 27-03-2016 15:02:49)

Kingmob wrote:

I keep meaning to list mine but I really can't be arsed with the hassle. Thing is I'm broke as shit and my records are the only things of any value I own, so I should probably try to convert them into cash to help get myself started up in being self employed. Might help cover rent for a month or two.

I found discogs a lot less painful than I was anticipating. Listed 400 or so records in about  2 1/2hrs & have already been pleasantly surprised by what some stuff's gone for. And I don't have much that's rare. I only had to submit one 'new' record that wasn't listed so it's just a case assessing condition really.

Edit: Having said that I haven't started to have the 'it hasn't turned up' / 'this isn't as good condition' type conversations yet though. I've also limited sales just to the EU to keep postage calculations a bit easier.

Reflecting on it dontcarewhere's offer does sound a lot, lot easier smile

I find it really therapeutic to have a good cull every few years. There's some stuff I'll never sell but there's good money to be made from selling 7"s I never get round to listening to. Pretty happy with how my lp collection has shaped up, though I've sold my fair share over the years, but I'm at the stage now where I think I'm going to sell all 7"s barring the absolute classics and stuff that really means something to me. Got 5 boxes full which I'm gradually listing on discogs. Guess it's taken 17 years to realise that although I really like His Hero Is Gone I don't need to own every 7" by every band that's ever tried to imitate them

culled mine down to personal favourites and weird UK stuff i'll never be able to get again a couple of years ago and it remains one of the best things i ever did. i found if i spread the discogs link around nerd message boards it all shifted much faster and for better money than ebay.

dontcarewhere wrote:

^ make a list of what you have and i'll happily make you an offer for the entire lot

I'll maybe come back to you. I have to much study on just now to make one.

42 (edited by stateJon 30-08-2016 16:38:23)

I've finally reached this point too. I managed to get all of my 7"s and 10" on Discogs over the last couple of days, but am now dreading the LPs.

I have moved house ten times in the last eight years and have another (temporary!) move to make in just over a month. I realised that in all of this time, probably 90% of my records I haven't listened to more than once or twice. I think since I started buying records as a teen I have changed (I spend less time alone in my room) and technology has changed (mp3s ain't so bad). As someone else commented though, ironically the process of going through and listing them does make you fall in love with your collection again, listening to stuff you forgot existed, noticing new details in the artwork, looking at the pressing variations etc.

I don't know what I'm going to put in the middle of my living room any more.

sell me loads of mid 90s emo / hardcore I don't have cheap

^

requesting a pre-discogs private view jon! shame you're selling everything though man.

stateJon wrote:

I've finally reached this point too. I managed to get all of my 7"s and 10" on Discogs over the last couple of days, but am now dreading the LPs.

I have moved house ten times in the last eight years and have another (temporary!) move to make in just over a month. I realised that in all of this time, probably 90% of my records I haven't listened to more than once or twice. I think since I started buying records as a teen I have changed (I spend less time alone in my room) and technology has changed (mp3s ain't so bad). As someone else commented though, ironically the process of going through and listing them does make you fall in love with your collection again, listening to stuff you forgot existed, noticing new details in the artwork, looking at the pressing variations etc.

I don't know what I'm going to put in the middle of my living room any more.

Yeah this totally sums up the point I'd reached too. My records reached the point of being decorative after dragging them around about five moves. I've sold about 70% of everything over the last 6 months - the LPs that I'd elected to keep I'm really tempted to go ahead and list now too.

46 (edited by Sam W 31-08-2016 11:03:18)

i'm trying to limit my vinyl purchases to things that were only released on the format these days. new releases are so expensive (including shipping, you're looking at around £20 a piece for non-punk stuff) that i end up buying a lot more digitally.

i don't see myself ditching vinyl entirely simply because there's so much interesting music that you can't get elsewhere. even online, i find it more difficult to find mp3s of oop releases since megaupload went kaput and not as many people seem to have blogs anymore.

i do regularly sell things off though and have never really been interested in having a giant collection.

47 (edited by jackvssharks 01-09-2016 17:43:04)

im in the process of selling all mine (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jackvssharks/ … 7675.l2562) and its liberating. granted I'm going through a sort of minimalist phase, but seriously sell the lot, buy a decent laptop / computer and listen to high quality mp3s, the memory is cheap enough now for it to be viable and convenient.

I sold all my collection in July, and my amp/deck/speaker set up, bought a proper nice laptop and paid off my debts. I feel less weighed down in more ways than one.

Like others, it was a house move that spurred it. Did it all on Ebay, one at a time. It took days to list them. Then I became the enemy of the post office and people who use the post office. I did it across 4 days, so spread out the hatred.

"Morning, I've just got these 58 LPs to post. 13 of them are going outside the EU, 10 to the mainland, the rest 2nd class recorded." SCOWL!

As well as a house move, I was finding that new records I was buying just sounded awful. Poorly optimised and mastered for vinyl. Loads of new records seem to suffer from inner groove distortion than older stuff. Which is annoying, as new releases can often cost upwards of £20. Sod that.

Ebay sucks though. They swipe 10% of your postage now, so you've gotta up your postage if you don't want to lose money. Then people win your record, and then moan about the price of postage afterwards. When you refuse to lower it, they intentionally take ages to pay up. Or you get those odious little shithawks who don't pay at all, and Ebay will still take side with them. Fuck Ebay.

i had about 600-700 records, and it occurred to me that i rarely listen to them, and that when i did, it was a bit of a chore, so time consuming - a million miles away from the enjoyment / excitement i used to have. I guess I'm old now huh?, but mp3s are so much more convenient! i don't regret it one bit. even made a bunch of cash. it is a chore to sell them, but like someone said its kinda fun, cos nerdy people ask you nerdy questions and you both get to nerd out for a bit, but ultimately you win, you get money, space and liberated from this hoarding / stuff ownership relationship - which might not be a healthy thing.

discogs is easy, and allows you to state the price, but takes a long time. eBay is a faff but much quicker - they'll go for the 'market price' but at least they're gone.

because I'm weird, i ended up re buying cds of LPs i used to own, so i could rip them and have a copy (just in case the hard drive broke - hoarder!) i put them in plastic wallets with just the front cover to save space and threw the jewel case away with the back cover (mp3s have the artwork / song listing anyway)

embrace the future. sell your stuff. read about minimalism, but don't go too far with it. x

Kingmob wrote:
dontcarewhere wrote:

I'll maybe come back to you. I have to much study on just now to make one.

still happily buying whole collections if that's the way ppl want to go