Re: Books Thread Redux - What You Reading?

finished first law - best fantasy series i've ever read i'd say. would definitely rate it over game of thrones. moving on to gentlemen bastards now but suffering from a bit of reading discontent after finishing something i enjoyed so much and really struggling to get in to it. only heard good things though so shall persist.

will give another big thumbs up to mccarthy - wonderful writer. the road is one of the best books i've read and one of the bleakest too.

mirieth- wrote:

will give another big thumbs up to mccarthy - wonderful writer. the road is one of the best books i've read and one of the bleakest too.

Yep expected All the Pretty Horses to be relatively harrowing too but so far is a really atmospheric, almost nostalgic read. Enjoying it, fuck that Billy Bob Thornton adaptation, though mad.

Putting the chat amongst the pigeons.

Just finished 'Canada' by Richard Ford, which was gracefully written but strangely flat and unemotive. Still mulling over whether or not I enjoyed it.

Beyond that I recently enjoyed 'May We Be Forgiven' by A.M. Holmes (cheers for the recommendation, Ad) and am currently on 'Save Me The Waltz' by Zelda Fitzgerald which is a tad on the florid side.

I just finished Jon Ronson's 'The Psycopath Test', which was good. Now reading Shirley Jackson's 'We Have always Lived in the Castle' which I'm loving. I adored 'Haunting of Hill House' and am finding this similarly excellent.

"Give me a prejudice, and I will move the world"

30 (edited by roberto 02-12-2016 14:55:58)

alex wrote:

Just finished 'Canada' by Richard Ford, which was gracefully written but strangely flat and unemotive. Still mulling over whether or not I enjoyed it.

yeah, I felt similar, the beginning of the book feels like its building towards something then... bit meh
need to try one of his others

I've just turned a corner (about 400 pgs in) in don delillo's underworld - and things are tying together
beautifully written but was struggling for a while with it
Thought Libra was amazing

new cynan jones effort "cove" is very poetic and minimal and certainly worth a look although i preferred dig as it was a bit more fleshed out. and incredible.

Soledad Brother by George Jackson
Spiritual Growth: Lessons from Emanuel Swedenborg

the new scott mclanahan is a banger