1 (edited by trashman 08-07-2017 22:17:57)

Topic: So, It looks like I am moving to Brighton.

Hey all,

It's been a while. Sorry for the long absence! Been working a lot and generally being boring. In recent news, It looks like I am going to be leaving Kingston and moving to Brighton within the next 2-3 months, Kemptown to be exact.

Who here is from round these ways? Im going to be moving with only a couple of contacts/friends and no job. Job wise, I'll be able to find work hopefully no problem but it would be great to meet up with fellow minded folk and make some friends!

Also, If anyone knows any mates who work in bikes shops that you might be able to pass on, then that would be great. Currently Run a shop in Kingston.

Might be up for putting on some gigs, what venues should I look at for DIY shows/cheap venue hire?

Will also be looking be looking for a house mate if anyone is looking to move and into records, films and not partying like we did in our early 20s. P.s Im not that old, only 32, but being chilled is great!

Hit me up on pm or email [email protected]

ps. Looking back on this, I just want y'all to know I'm not moving for any dodgy reasons or falling outs. Just been in the same place for too long/same job for far too long and have an opportunity to scare the hell out of myself and start a new!

"Have you paid your due's Jack?".........."Yes Sir, Cheque is in the mail"

2 (edited by General Disdain 09-07-2017 15:48:40)

Re: So, It looks like I am moving to Brighton.

For DIY shows my favourites are The Quadrant and The Cowley. Both are quite small and easy to fill but have a rough around the edges feel that perfect for any sort of underground music. The Cowley is an ethical meeting place for lots of anarchist action and things associated with that, they host loads of punk and hardcore shows but for licensing reasons it's a members club. It would be best to apply asap. The Quadrant is a fairly normal pub.

For bigger gigs I like The Prince Albert. It's more of a 'proper venue' but it's quite small, the people are really nice and it's quite cheap to hire. I don't know if they have a fixed price or if it's negotiable.

There is the West Hill Hall which is a community hall you can hire that people put on lots of weird and wonderful stuff. I really like it, it has a village hall feel to it and adds to the DIY factor. It's also unlicenced so from a punter's BYOB point of view it's a cheap (and often popular) night out.

A lot of people complain that there aren't enough venues in Brighton but compared to any other UK city of the same size there are loads. Have also found since moving here that people are very receptive to shows in places that are out of the ordinary or not conventional gigging spaces.

Also, Brighton is amazing for starting new. I moved here when I was 32 as well and quickly met people and had some adventures - while also being quite chilled. It's a lovely place with absolutely loads to do. The locals are very welcoming and you'll feel at home quickly. Brighton is highly transitory, no one who lives here is actually 'from here', so people move quickly in meeting people and doing things.

I put on non-profit gigs around here so message me at [email protected] and I'll invite you to one and I can tell you my, maybe slightly limited, local knowledge.

General Disdain wrote:

Also, Brighton is amazing for starting new. I moved here when I was 32 as well and quickly met people and had some adventures - while also being quite chilled. It's a lovely place with absolutely loads to do. The locals are very welcoming and you'll feel at home quickly. Brighton is highly transitory, no one who lives here is actually 'from here', so people move quickly in meeting people and doing things.

I put on non-profit gigs around here so message me at [email protected] and I'll invite you to one and I can tell you my, maybe slightly limited, local knowledge.

Thank you for the reply mate. Great to hear you had done the same and it's worked out! Kinda shitting myself as I am usually a creature of habit....Need to scare myself and get out there!

What name do you use for your shows? I will email for sure once I know a set date of moving in. Thanks again!

goto mr bongo and buy wicked african psych

There is a BRIGHTON DIY HARDCORE PUNK NOISE facebook page which is really helpful

So many gigs down here I can't make them all, sometimes 3 on the same day so it's all gone a bit crazy (in a good way)

If you like Hardcore we have State Funeral, Vile Spirit, Gutter Knife, Never, Human Leather, Telekinesis, Structure, etc & there seem to be ton of shows, and the Rotten Foxes do the more Punk/Garage Punk gigs 

Venues: The Quadrant, The Cowley, The Albert, Sticky Mikes Frog Bar, Westhill Hall, Greendoor Store, Hope & Ruin

Heshones Collective & Gob Nation put on gigs & have facebook pages for updates

Major Wants : To The Point "mentally checked out' 7"
the Death Dust Extractor 12" & Crisis 7"s at punk prices...
and I do a weird record label http://tadpolerecords.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks Spud! Really looking forward to it and hopefully bump into you at some point.