Topic: william elliot whitmore

who else saw this chap with ten grand when they were over?...he was the guy with the banjo...incase you forget. well i'm just listening to some of the tracks off his record hymns for the hopeless...and they are totally amazing! his voice is something else...just really really great, and the lyrics are fantastic also. I'm almost certainly off to selectadisk this week to see if they've got it in. so does anyone else like him? and could you reccomend any other stuff in a similar vein..

thanks smile

Re: william elliot whitmore

if alex sees this post, he will help you.

or christian

lol

as he goes he is pretty unoriginal. (the first track though is pretty good)
he plays what is often described as the appalachian style of folk. check out rounder records and the smithsonian folkways for more.

hey thanks for the advice smile..i'm checking out some of that smithsonian folkways stuff right now. yeah i can't imagine he's original atall...i'm sure they've been playing this music for a long time...

there's a really good sampler by smithsonian which introduces you to loads of different kinds of american folk/blues but i can't think of the name of it to save my life. it's easy enough to pick up from mainstream records stores

george is he the guy we laughed at?

you always stole all my last words

ok. there is a new comp. of mainly appalachian folk on sf called 'mountain songs' are something along those lines.

ohh, ohhh. remembered title of the comp. i was on about (well, i did a websearch lol )

http://www.folkways.si.edu/40062.htm

has loads of different kinds of american 'roots' music, is about £5 and you can then work out what you want to hear more of big_smile

more bluegrass in punk rock!

george is he the guy we laughed at?

laughed? hardly laughed, i was more gobsmacked if i recall....it wasn't what anyone was expecting. but i thought he was very good live, its a shame he had 1 tape for sale which he sold even before he started.

sara would laugh as she is a MOOOOOOOO

(haha, see you a week on sunday son!)

All the crunked blood transfusions have helped me develop into the GREATEST POSTER EVER.

son??
son??

my friend amy calls me sara son but thats a karate kid thing

george - wow! how is nottingham? different from leeds when ten grand played i'll bet

you always stole all my last words