Re: Science Fiction Novels

Kunal wrote:

Anyone mention Robert Silverberg? Read a novel called "Tower Of Glass" - truly remarkable. Pretty much confirmed that if you pick up a sci fi novel from a certain era, you're going to turn up gold.

And why oh why oh WHY does Hollywood continue to fail to generate a decent cerebral piece of sci-fi? Maybe then the genre as a whole would get more kudos

theres also The Last Man on Earth: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058700/

i read Book of Skulls by Silverberg which was a nice quick enjoyable easy read.

and finally.....hollywood... remake of Oldboy...Nicolas Cage......

dont ever put any faith in them.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

i wept a silent tear over will smiths soon to come destruction of i am legend.

dont struggle!

Re: Science Fiction Novels

keef wrote:

theres also The Last Man on Earth: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058700/

I've got this, it isn't too bad, quite close to the book in a lot of ways and quite well done, Vincent Price is always good... but it's not amazing.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

sternisalw lem's solaris is wonderful. on the tarkovsky dvd, there's an clip from another film based on another one of his books called the investigation of private pirks or something like that. does anyone know anything more about this? it had sod all info on it and i couldn't find it on a brief search i made.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

tobytiger wrote:

asimov - ive never read any as i always get put off by the robotics stuff, is foundation less roboty?

the foundation series doesnt really have any robotics in it. A scientist invents a method of accurately predicting the future of society known as psychohistory and foresees the fall of the current empire, he then sends off two groups to different parts of the universe to lay the foundations for the rebuilding of the empire.  The first few books are about the problems faced by the first foundation and then theres a massive twist in the later books when it really starts to get good

Re: Science Fiction Novels

I had a serious Asimov binge when I was younger but was generally more of a fantasy dude, Eddings etc.

I did read that Mars Trilogy though by the dude with a girls name. Kim someone?

Re: Science Fiction Novels

James_Knight wrote:

I did read that Mars Trilogy though by the dude with a girls name. Kim someone?

billy?

Re: Science Fiction Novels

keef wrote:

hollywood... remake of Oldboy...Nicolas Cage......

this has to be stopped! any means necessary!

science fiction wise, read neal stephenson's 'snow crash' and 'the diamond age'. and anything else by him is good but those are the best.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

im horrified
neal stephenson?
this guy is poor.  just really light versions of william gibsons stuff!

dont struggle!

Re: Science Fiction Novels

Robert A. Heinlein - All You Zombies

Crazy time travel stuff.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

tobytiger wrote:

bradbury - "illustrated man" and "faranheit 451" win.

my feelings toward bradbury are similar to Martin in the simpsons:

Martin: As your president, I would demand a science-fiction library, featuring the ABC's of the genre: Asimov, Bester, Clarke!
Kid: What about Ray Bradbury?
Martin: (dismissingly) I am aware of his work.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

I agree for the most part. Farenheit 451 was really... boring.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

chimp_and_zee wrote:

I agree for the most part. Farenheit 451 was really... boring.

!!!

wrong.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

James_Knight wrote:

I had a serious Asimov binge when I was younger but was generally more of a fantasy dude, Eddings etc.

eddings and forgotten realms novels, ah, sweet youth.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

RobxT wrote:
chimp_and_zee wrote:

I agree for the most part. Farenheit 451 was really... boring.

!!!

wrong.

I was really excited about reading it, but it got returned to the library half-read, and its not even that long!  I just could not get into it.  I really enjoyed the Illustrated Man though, I think I jibbed it from the school library.

Genital Grinder

Re: Science Fiction Novels

franheit 451 boring?
you guys are chumps.

dont struggle!

Re: Science Fiction Novels

he goes off on too many tangents and takes forever to describe little things in tedious, repetitive ways. and all in all was just not an enjoyable read. made me want to dig out 1984 again

Re: Science Fiction Novels

I really, really liked the idea behind Farenheit 451, but it just didn't grip me atall.

I don't know if it would count as sci-fi so much, but The time Traveller's Wife is an awesome read. Film out next year, it will either be awesome, or just balls.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

I just finished Slaughter House 5 by Vonnegut. It's weird actually. I remember reading the blurb of it in the library as a very young lad, but not being allowed it as it was in the adult section. Enjoyed it a lot.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

nequest wrote:

By the way, I am Legend is being made into a big-budget blockbuster with Will Smith.

Will. Fucking. Smith.

I was bored once and read a lot of the screenplay for this. It was shit. Shame really.

Re: Science Fiction Novels

keef wrote:

he goes off on too many tangents and takes forever to describe little things in tedious, repetitive ways. and all in all was just not an enjoyable read. made me want to dig out 1984 again

i can't believe you people were reading the same book! oh well

Re: Science Fiction Novels

Maaskoorde wrote:

Stephen King - The Stand.  I think this counst as sci fi as it starts off with a global epidemic but sort of evolves into a quasi-religious struggle between good and evil.

http://killingcupid.net/stephen-king-KATET.jpg

Re: Science Fiction Novels

alan wrote:
Maaskoorde wrote:

Stephen King - The Stand.  I think this counst as sci fi as it starts off with a global epidemic but sort of evolves into a quasi-religious struggle between good and evil.

http://killingcupid.net/stephen-king-KATET.jpg

King is shit

Re: Science Fiction Novels

nightmares and dreamscapes is not shit, however, and neither are the tv adaptations!

"My name is a killing word."

Re: Science Fiction Novels

RobxT wrote:
alan wrote:
Maaskoorde wrote:

Stephen King - The Stand.  I think this counst as sci fi as it starts off with a global epidemic but sort of evolves into a quasi-religious struggle between good and evil.

http://killingcupid.net/stephen-king-KATET.jpg

King is shit

the shining.