Topic: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

I've been listening to a lot of Disembodied, Damnation AD and Gehenna lately and I would love to get some more recommendations for heavy crushing hardcore bands  stuff that's not posi, that sounds alright and that doesn't contain too many stupid moshparts for people with shaved heads and camo shorts. Ta!

More power to me.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Unruh
Stalingrad
Enewetak

3 (edited by dread 24-08-2009 19:00:21)

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Unquiet Grave
Drainland

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

can you still enjoy this stuff if you have a positive mental attitude?

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Rubbish Heap

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

directhit wrote:

can you still enjoy this stuff if you have a positive mental attitude?

Interesting question!
Do miserable people who listen to miserable music do it to make themselves even more miserable?
Do happy people listen to it in order to be assured that there's someone out there worse off than themselves?
If you're a happy person, are you only truly able to create happy music?
I dunno.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Kunal wrote:
directhit wrote:

can you still enjoy this stuff if you have a positive mental attitude?

Interesting question!
Do miserable people who listen to miserable music do it to make themselves even more miserable?
Do happy people listen to it in order to be assured that there's someone out there worse off than themselves?
If you're a happy person, are you only truly able to create happy music?
I dunno.

you've read my thoughts mate.
i guess pissed off and miserable can create totally different results.

8 (edited by Pandasrule 24-08-2009 22:05:56)

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

In Cold Blood fill the spot in between Damnation AD and Gehenna.

The two "borderline moshy" bands I'd say were worth checking out if you're on a negativity trip are Earthmover (Death Carved In Every  Word LP) and Cold As Life (If their long winded stuff makes you reach for the skip button check out the tracks "Cold As Life" and "Skimask and a .45", the first of which is one of the most hateful, negative and life-affirming songs I've heard)

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

ewan wrote:

Unruh
Stalingrad
Enewetak

I love all of these.

I'll check the other recommendations, though. Thank you very much.

Keep them coming by the way smile

More power to me.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Breach - verging on Neurosis, but their faster moments ROCKED
Ended - Irish band, affilliated with Drainland, http://www.myspace.com/endedhc
Anodyne - pretty fucking pissed off, maybe too manic?
Craw - kind of like a real heavy Jesus Lizard, early stuff is seriously dense

been listening to tons of Eyehategod recently. I think their offshoot band Outlaw Order is meant to be quite punk

11 (edited by Chris Cooter 25-08-2009 02:25:12)

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Kiss It Goodbye, Mine, Rorschach (of course), Acme, Catharsis, Deadguy, Devoid of Faith, 16 (if you want it a tad slower)......

I do think Damnation AD's 'No More Dreams...' is one of the best of the 90's, pretty flawless (even the deathmarch thing), 2nd LP was pretty decent too, however, the comeback LP from a few years ago?... mmm not good.

You can always head east too, Deathside, Judgement, Bastard (crustish but a pure dark hardcore onslaught) and Nightmare. Poss off topic but these bands have a lot in common execution wise, esp the relentless application.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

starkweather & thoughts of ionesco will see you right.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Of all the last bands mentioned, I've only not heard Minded and Outlaw Order.

Japcore (even if I LOVE it), is absolutely NOT what I've been asking about in this thread. But thanks though.

Also, I've been blasting some Anodyne a lot too. I love them, I think they're so underrated.

More power to me.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

dudey wrote:

thoughts of ionesco

I was looking at thier CD on my rack yesterday, thinking that I haven't listened to it in ages!

15 (edited by dread 25-08-2009 10:48:53)

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Sheep Dip from ireland did the whole dystopia thing pretty well, dunno if they're still going. Also Dept/Serpents - or pretty much anything Jamie Grimes has been involved in wink

My old band Plague: www.myspace.com/plaguenotts

Malachi
Medication Time
Walls
Drugs of Faith

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Dystopia are the best for me - i love the fact one of their 7"s came with a free razor blade

Major Wants : To The Point "mentally checked out' 7"
the Death Dust Extractor 12" & Crisis 7"s at punk prices...
and I do a weird record label http://tadpolerecords.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Some great recommendations here, has INTEGRITY not been mentioned?? ('scuse me if I overlooked 'em). I can quite happily (!) listen to their "Those Who Fear Tomorrow" LP all fucking day.

Kunal wrote:

been listening to tons of Eyehategod recently. I think their offshoot band Outlaw Order is meant to be quite punk

The Outlaw Order 7" and more recent LP are quality and nasty as fuck.

GOLDEN CABINET gig collective
GO FUCK YOURSELF zine
DIRTY APPARATUS record label

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

dread wrote:

Medication Time

oooh hello. Still have the demo on a tape with the b side being Lachrymosa (Dino's band). This tape got thrashed to fuck.

http://www.theprintproject.co.uk — letterpress printing

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

dread wrote:

pretty much anything Jamie Grimes has been involved in wink

What can I say, I'm a miserable cunt.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Also, Cattlepress 's first 7" and side of the split lp with Agoraphobic Nosebleed are pretty much the absolute pinnacle of the genre for me. Completely overlooked, probably because of the album on Hydrahead being good but not great.

The Kiss It Goodbye lp is also definitive.

Puritan deserve a mention  as well.

More bands like this need to exist.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Kunal wrote:

Breach - verging on Neurosis, but their faster moments ROCKED
Ended - Irish band, affilliated with Drainland, http://www.myspace.com/endedhc
Anodyne - pretty fucking pissed off, maybe too manic?
Craw - kind of like a real heavy Jesus Lizard, early stuff is seriously dense

been listening to tons of Eyehategod recently. I think their offshoot band Outlaw Order is meant to be quite punk


yes! craw and breach and their related bands are making my day. good work!

22 (edited by jamieserpents 25-08-2009 14:16:44)

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Frightener?

and Despise You surely?

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Well, there's lots of good stuff being mentioned again and turns out all the bands I haven't heard are the UK ones, haha (except for Plague.)

I just feel like I need to be more precise, I'm not looking for powerviolence, weird or sludge-y bands, I'm looking for stuff that makes you want to floorpunch like mad and destroy everything. I've been trying to make a mixtape for my band's drummer because he likes moshing hardcore but the "bad" kind. I just want to find some bands that are dark, heavy, straightforward and with mean breakdowns. So far I put Gehenna, Disembodied, Undertow, Harvest, Bloodlet, Threadbare, The Swarm, Left For Dead, Damnation AD, Grounwork, Acme and Turmoil on it. It's pretty solid so far in my opinion. I just need 4 or 5 more bands. Sorry for being picky hmm

Also, I absolutely HATE Integrity.

More power to me.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Pandasrule wrote:

In Cold Blood fill the spot in between Damnation AD and Gehenna.

The two "borderline moshy" bands I'd say were worth checking out if you're on a negativity trip are Earthmover (Death Carved In Every  Word LP) and Cold As Life (If their long winded stuff makes you reach for the skip button check out the tracks "Cold As Life" and "Skimask and a .45", the first of which is one of the most hateful, negative and life-affirming songs I've heard)

yeah, the In Cold Blood album is incredible.

was going to mention Earthmover as well. pre-Walls Of Jericho but don't let that put you off. a really stripped down raw production.

for negative borderline mosh you can't go wrong with the song Fuck Life by Neglect.

Re: Let's talk about dark negative heavy hardcore.

Haymaker