Re: gothy modern anarcho

alex wrote:

While I like this sound, the whole slavishness of the bands doing it at the moment really hacks me off.

This is exactly how I feel about that Sect lp. Have tried to listen to it a few times and just find it so unexciting. It's very easy to simulate that sound with one effects pedal and a semi-decent recording, but there needs to be killer riffs/parts - they just plod through the motions. Not the same sound exactly, but that's what I felt after a few spins the Arctic Flowers lp also.

I would be very happy to hear more stuff like Deskonocidos, they were (are?) great. Nice one to everyone who has recommended stuff. Will be downloading tonight.

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Oli P wrote:
alex wrote:

While I like this sound, the whole slavishness of the bands doing it at the moment really hacks me off.

This is exactly how I feel about that Sect lp. Have tried to listen to it a few times and just find it so unexciting. It's very easy to simulate that sound with one effects pedal and a semi-decent recording, but there needs to be killer riffs/parts - they just plod through the motions. Not the same sound exactly, but that's what I felt after a few spins the Arctic Flowers lp also.

.

This is what I thought a few months back tbh. I found all too a bit genre/image perfect, then I realized that I was probably just being a bit jaded and there is no reason for me to think they are working with any pretense other than my standard standoffishness I apply to any wave of punk which gets the MRR thumbs up.

Re: gothy modern anarcho

got the Crosta LP. not gothy at all, really good driving mixed with minimal wirey post punk. Kinda PiL esque I guess?

Added: 03-04-2013 00:07:39

oh yeah its a free dl here http://crosta.interrupciones.net/

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Those "deathrock mixtapes" by oliver sheppard on cvlt nation are pretty good for an overview of this stuff. This fad has been building for a few years, i think it kind of kicked off in portland and canada with bands like Spectres and Complications. As with any revival/wave/trend in punk there are a few leaders and then loads and loads of followers (see y2k thrash, neo-crust, nowadays powerviolence for examples).
I really like the Crosta LP, a real grower, kinda hypnotic in its simplicity/sparseness.

Re: gothy modern anarcho

I need to revisit that Crosta LP. It was kinda eclipsed by the Belgrado LP, which I got at the same time and listened to a lot more. Think I'll go stick it on right now actually.

31 (edited by thedreamisnotdead 03-04-2013 11:11:38)

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Also: check out:

Dekoder Lp (ex-Complications & Ballast folk => really nice, grows on you after multiple spins)
Anasazi 7"-es
Pleasure Leftists

Re: gothy modern anarcho

yeah Crosta is probably a lot cleverer than a lot of this stuff as it's so stark and tense and never quite explodes. Minimal stuff works really when the dynamic is really tightly controlled, teasing and never quite boiling over.

Re: gothy modern anarcho

thedreamisnotdead wrote:

)
Anasazi 7"-es

Definitely this! Most recent one is a banger.

Re: gothy modern anarcho

UK Decay still kick ass

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Crosta is just a great Spanish Punk record, not that goth at all + great people / live

Major Wants : To The Point "mentally checked out' 7"
the Death Dust Extractor 12" & Crisis 7"s at punk prices...
and I do a weird record label http://tadpolerecords.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: gothy modern anarcho

spud wrote:

Crosta is just a great Spanish Punk record, not that goth at all + great people / live

yep this is what I am thinking for sure

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Just ordered the MORAL HEX lp, fucking great demo, reminds me of JUJU era Siouxsie guitar work. So good.

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Joe C wrote:

Just ordered the MORAL HEX lp, fucking great demo, reminds me of JUJU era Siouxsie guitar work. So good.

Who is selling/distro-ing this?

Re: gothy modern anarcho

La Vida Es Un Mus

Re: gothy modern anarcho

thedreamisnotdead wrote:

Crimson Scarlet
Belgrado
Bellicose Minds
Moral Hex
Arctic Flowers
The Estranged
Surrender
Complications
Lost Tribe
1981
Sect
Crosta
Funeral Parade
Horror Vacui
Vivid Sekt
OK?
Spectres
ANXTV
Kalte Lust
Cross Stitched Eyes

stupid question but any suggestions on the best distros to pick up this kind of stuff?? cheers.

Re: gothy modern anarcho

^ many of them from LVEUM.

Re: gothy modern anarcho

which is here http://www.lavidaesunmus.com/

Re: gothy modern anarcho

http://lavidaesunmus.com/prestashop/pro … oduct=2024 SECT
http://lavidaesunmus.com/prestashop/pro … oduct=2093 VIVID SEKT
http://lavidaesunmus.com/prestashop/pro … oduct=2094 MORAL HEX
http://lavidaesunmus.com/prestashop/pro … oduct=1666 CROSTA (4 quid, buy this or die, it's my fave)

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Joe C wrote:

http://lavidaesunmus.com/prestashop/pro … oduct=1666 CROSTA (4 quid, buy this or die, it's my fave)

Crosta LP is the best 4 quid I've spent lately. If anything closer to a less polished Xmal Deutschland; simple unpretentious rhythms & driving riffs, certainly a winner. Paco's away for a month tho' so best hold fire on ordering one for now...

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Mr. Jimbo wrote:
Joe C wrote:

http://lavidaesunmus.com/prestashop/pro … oduct=1666 CROSTA (4 quid, buy this or die, it's my fave)

Crosta LP is the best 4 quid I've spent lately. If anything closer to a less polished Xmal Deutschland; simple unpretentious rhythms & driving riffs, certainly a winner. Paco's away for a month tho' so best hold fire on ordering one for now...

If you come to any gigs in Nottingham, we have some at JT SOAR, I ordered a load coz Im gonna make everyone listen to it.

Re: gothy modern anarcho

thanks for the pointer

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Bellicose Minds album sounds alright - http://bellicoseminds.bandcamp.com/album/the-spine-2

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Demo was spot on, thought they had packed it in. Really enjoying Siamese Twins stuff recently.

sourgrapestowine.blogspot.com

fragilekingdombooks.blogspot.co.uk

Re: gothy modern anarcho

Bellicose Minds are "signed" to A389 now, so Im guessing they will get a bit of a boost as far as recognition for this sound goes... http://www.a389records.com/site/

Re: gothy modern anarcho

the Bellicose Mind LP hasn't really clicked for me yet

Major Wants : To The Point "mentally checked out' 7"
the Death Dust Extractor 12" & Crisis 7"s at punk prices...
and I do a weird record label http://tadpolerecords.blogspot.co.uk/